+ Post New Thread
Gaming Thread, 3DS, PS Vita or PSP? in Fun Stuff; Well, we've caved in to our youngest's demand for a hand-held, but only for his birthday next year. What we ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

3DS, PS Vita or PSP?

Well, we've caved in to our youngest's demand for a hand-held, but only for his birthday next year. What we are, is undecided about is what to get him. He's after a 3DS, however, his sister already has one (which he is allowed to play) and we think that perhaps getting him something else would be a good move as they could both then get access to more games than on just one system.
    So, what to do. I know the Vita is having sales issues, but there are a lot of good titles available, but the PSP can be picked up for silly cheap money with lots of very good games to be had.
    Taking into account that my son will be 8 next birthday and he's more into playabilty than swish graphics - got him into many, many retro-games - what does the combined wisdom and experience of EduGeek suggest?

Thank Post
    It depends what he's into - for Retro goodness you can't go too far wrong with a PSP as the playstation store is chock full of older titles that are PSP compatible.

However, if he wants anything to do with Pokemon - get a 3DS.

The Vita is shiny, but it's effectively an updated PSP with full playstation community support, although it will last longer than the PSP.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by korifugi View Post
    It depends what he's into - for Retro goodness you can't go too far wrong with a PSP as the playstation store is chock full of older titles that are PSP compatible.

However, if he wants anything to do with Pokemon - get a 3DS.

The Vita is shiny, but it's effectively an updated PSP with full playstation community support, although it will last longer than the PSP.
    The PSP is also REALLY easy to hack and play ISOs... Not that you'd want to do that.

As for Vita lasting longer... That remains to be seen.

@Dos_Box What sort of games does your son like?

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd say 3DS for that age range, it has plenty of games for younger gamers and the Vita is one of those devices that you really don't want to get scratched up and wreck given the cost!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If he's into retro games, then I suppose the question might be - what are your views on emulation? In this regard I don't think the PSP can be beat.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    If he's into retro games, then I suppose the question might be - what are your views on emulation? In this regard I don't think the PSP can be beat.
    Plus, if there's no problem with emulating, you can play old Pokemon as well. [No DS pokemon though.]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I'd say 3DS for that age range, it has plenty of games for younger gamers and the Vita is one of those devices that you really don't want to get scratched up and wreck given the cost!
    TBH, there's not much price difference between the 3DS (which we already own) and a Vita. Going for a used Vita off Amazon cuts the price even more. When I'm talking about retro-gamin I'm also going back to the 80's as well, so if the Sony handhelds have old Namco/Atari compensations that would be a winner too

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    When I'm talking about retro-gamin I'm also going back to the 80's as well, so if the Sony handhelds have old Namco/Atari compensations that would be a winner too
    Again, back to the question of your views on emulation? The PSP is easily hacked has emulators for a wide range of systems inc. Atari and Arcade.

Keeping it legal, Nintendo appear to do a better job with their Virtual Console on Wii(U), I don't know how that translates across to 3DS? The Vita promises Gaikai in the next couple of years. Allow streaming of games from PS1/2/3/4/PSP/Vita including some SNK and Sega retro's in their "Mini's" range.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Again, back to the question of your views on emulation? The PSP is easily hacked has emulators for a wide range of systems inc. Atari and Arcade.

Keeping it legal, Nintendo appear to do a better job with their Virtual Console on Wii(U), I don't know how that translates across to 3DS? The Vita promises Gaikai in the next couple of years. Allow streaming of games from PS1/2/3/4/PSP/Vita including some SNK and Sega retro's in their "Mini's" range.
    Cheers, I'd not looked into hacking any of the handhelds yet - our Wii is hacked to hell land back
    The PSP could be a good option once I take a look and see what can be done with it as they really are cheap-as-chips now.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Cheers, I'd not looked into hacking any of the handhelds yet - our Wii is hacked to hell land back
    The PSP could be a good option once I take a look and see what can be done with it as they really are cheap-as-chips now.
    The PSP is REALLY easy to hack. You just put a custom file [or 2... or more] on the SD card and run it.

It either installs custom firmware permanently, or uses custom firmware until it's rebooted.

I have it on my PSP1000 [the old fat one] and it's soooooo useful.

Thank Post
    I went into Game yesterday and following this discussion I thought I'd take a look at what's out for the Vita... man I was shocked by the sheer lack of titles for it!!!

On the flipside I made a pre-order for a Limited Edition Pokemon Y 3DS XL. Yay! Happy days. Now I've gotta think about selling on my faithful old 3DS or DSi.
    Last edited by AlfaTech; 17th September 2013 at 11:33 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfaTech View Post
    I went into Game yesterday and following this discussion I thought I'd take a look at what's out for the Vita... man I was shocked by the sheer lack of titles for it!!!
    Having thought about it some more, I'd say it probably stacks up...

PSP - Best for Retro
    3DS - Best for Right Now
    Vita - (Probably) Best for the Future (if you buy into Sony's ecosystem)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Having thought about it some more, I'd say it probably stacks up...

PSP - Best for Retro
    3DS - Best for Right Now
    Vita - (Probably) Best for the Future (if you buy into Sony's ecosystem)
    The Vita could be a good future bet, however I'm a bit wary that given its poor sales developers may just abandon it eventually. A quick search on Amazon shows that the PS Vita has 1000+ games available (OK many will be repeat listings) and the Wii U less than 450.
    Given that only 9 months separate their respective launches it shows just how bad things are going for the Wii U!
    Well, seeing as I have until May next year to make my mind up I think I'll keep an eye on the Vita but in the meantime can spend less than 50 to get a PSP to see just what I can get it to do

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The difference between the Vita and WiiU is that Nintendo angered a number of very large games companies (either by accident or a company throwing toys out of it's pram, hello EA saboteurs!). They now have little third party support and the console is now suviving by the skin of it's first party teeth sadly.

Vita just had a rubbish start but connecting to the PS4 and the well established PSN service is giving it a much needed shot in the arm.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread