Poll: Which should I buy?

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Gaming Thread, 3DS vs Vita in Fun Stuff; I downloaded MH on the WiiU and really struggled with it. The giant rabbit slaughtered me. xD...
    CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I downloaded MH on the WiiU and really struggled with it. The giant rabbit slaughtered me. xD

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Looks like we could see Playstation Now (the official name for Sony Gaikai) by the summer: BBC News - CES 2014: PlayStation games go console-free

PlayStation Now Streaming Game Service Coming this Summer – PlayStation.Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Bradlys View Post
    Well, it depends what kind of games you like... try naming some of the titles you've like in the past :P
    I like a range of games but single player is very important to me, not a fan of the current console trend of writing some crappy SP plot you can play through in an hour or two.

FFVII is my favourite game overall.
    Zelda series I love (yeah I know, no chance on the Vita!)
    Currently enjoying the Batman Arkham series
    Bastion was good fun
    Fez is also great
    Burnout Paradise I really enjoyed
    Colin McRae/Dirt I like a lot too
    Skyrim, Dragon Age, The Witcher etc. (I'm a fan of RPG's overall)
    Tomb Raider games have always been entertaining, even the "bad" ones (always felt the ones that get slated are really just victim to their predecessors successes)
    FPS - I can get in to these if they have a good story. Early CoD games I loved but as the series went on it's like they just used a template for the SP as something to demo at exhibitions.
    Worms series, loved these for ages despite the absolute lack of any story, unusual for me

Quote Originally Posted by DMcGuigan View Post
    I went for the Vita over the 3DS, don't regret it in the slightest.
    I've got PS+ anyway for my PS3 / PS4, and the addition of remote play / second screen functionality through it is pretty nice.

Uncharted was a pretty good game, burned through it over a weekend, probably gonna go through on a higher difficulty at some point and get a few more trophies.
    I just got Soul Sacrifice and I pretty much hated it until I'd done the first chapter, really getting into it now.

Guacamelee is probably the best game I've played on it so far though, Luchador MetroidVania.. what's not to love?! :P
    I'll give Soul Sacrifice another chance, it just didn't immediately grab me as anything special. I think part of the worry for me is that SS and Gravity Rush regularly turn up in top 10 lists for Vita and while I'm enjoying GR, it's really a one trick pony, it's not something I could play for hours. My worry is if they're two of the best, things look pretty bleak from where I'm standing ATM...

Guacamelee looks interesting, I'll give that a go when pay day rolls round
    Last edited by LosOjos; 8th January 2014 at 08:37 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Looks like we could see Playstation Now (the official name for Sony Gaikai) by the summer: BBC News - CES 2014: PlayStation games go console-free

PlayStation Now Streaming Game Service Coming this Summer – PlayStation.Blog
    That's summer in the US We're unlikely to see it before 2015.

On the plus side they are talking about implementing multiple payment options - buy games out right, rent, netflix style subscriptions, etc. I'll be very interested in an affordable netflix style all you can eat subscription to access a back catalogue of PS1 games in particular.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    That's summer in the US We're unlikely to see it before 2015.

On the plus side they are talking about implementing multiple payment options - buy games out right, rent, netflix style subscriptions, etc. I'll be very interested in an affordable netflix style all you can eat subscription to access a back catalogue of PS1 games in particular.
    You think they'll make us wait that long? I'm hoping that we'll see at least a partial version of PS Now by Autumn...

I was thinking about GR some more and I am enjoying the story of the game, it's just unfortunate the game itself is so repetitive, "talk to person, get obscure mission, realize that's not the real mission, complete real mission, fight boss," all the time using the same gravity mechanic which honestly, so far, hasn't been used all that well - it's essentially the ability to fly as there are very few points in the game you use it for anything else. I may still be quite early in the game though, so I'll stick it out.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You think they'll make us wait that long? I'm hoping that we'll see at least a partial version of PS Now by Autumn...
    Everything they've said so far point to 2015 for Europe. The problem is I think they are looking at EU as a whole rather than rolling out in the UK seperate from France/Germany/etc. They reason they're given is "Europe has a more complex broadband market". That said I'd love to be proved wrong...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I downloaded MH on the WiiU and really struggled with it. The giant rabbit slaughtered me. xD
    He's REALLY easy once you get the hand of it :P Roll to his side or sit back and use a bow or bowgun. You'l find when you get armour you might find it easier to get evasion distance decorations.

All of the Monsters on Monster Hunter just require a bit of knowledge in how they work to be honest, once you have that nailed you'l find it a LOT easier.

I like a range of games but single player is very important to me, not a fan of the current console trend of writing some crappy SP plot you can play through in an hour or two.

FFVII is my favourite game overall.
    Zelda series I love (yeah I know, no chance on the Vita!)
    Currently enjoying the Batman Arkham series
    Bastion was good fun
    Fez is also great
    Burnout Paradise I really enjoyed
    Colin McRae/Dirt I like a lot too
    Skyrim, Dragon Age, The Witcher etc. (I'm a fan of RPG's overall)
    Tomb Raider games have always been entertaining, even the "bad" ones (always felt the ones that get slated are really just victim to their predecessors successes)
    FPS - I can get in to these if they have a good story. Early CoD games I loved but as the series went on it's like they just used a template for the SP as something to demo at exhibitions.
    Worms series, loved these for ages despite the absolute lack of any story, unusual for me
    If you got an R4 card you could use it to play the old chrono trigger games(VERY similar to the old FF1 and FF2).
    Maybe Kid icarus?
    Obviously Zelda :P
    Worms: Open Warfare is on DS

Note: It is acceptable to use an R4 to play downloaded games if you have owned the game previously and have proof of purchase which can include a Reciept or hard copy of the game. E.G. a Game cartridge

Thank Post
    Guacamelee looks interesting, I'll give that a go when pay day rolls round
    Do this - Guacamelee is an absolutely brilliant game full of 2D platforming goodness (and chickens... lots of chickens).

Dragon's Crown is also great - it reminds me heavily of the days where I used to sit at my friend's house playing Golden Axe, but now theres skill trees and actual strategy further than "that enemys close to the pit - knock them into it!"

The Vita is only now starting to gain it's stride with games - with titles like the aforementioned Dragon's Crown and Tearaway now out.

Still - the Vita still strikes me as an accompanying device as well as a portable... With the whole remote play option.

It does look like the library is going to blossom now though, with the number of titles that are being released on both PS3 & Vite - or even better, as crossbuy titles.

Thank Post
    No options for "Neither"?

I can't use anything that has "3D" in the title so the 3DS is out straight away (As are 3D films, TVs, etc..)

Would probably opt for the 2DS though..

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,108 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you got an R4 card you could use it to play the old chrono trigger games(VERY similar to the old FF1 and FF2).
    There's also "Bravely Default" on the 3DS. [I just downloaded the demo to play at lunch.]

Thank Post
    Maybe Kid icarus?
    Obviously Zelda :P
    Worms: Open Warfare is on DS

Note: It is acceptable to use an R4 to play downloaded games if you have owned the game previously and have proof of purchase which can include a Reciept or hard copy of the game. E.G. a Game cartridge
    I don't have a 3DS though, I have a Vita also, don't know where you got your info on the R4 card from but I suspect it's wrong - Nintendo famously try to block any platform shifting (unless you pay for their authorised ports of course). Also, format shifting is still technically illegal in the UK. It's a big grey area and to be honest my days of messing in grey areas are done...

Quote Originally Posted by korifugi View Post
    Do this - Guacamelee is an absolutely brilliant game full of 2D platforming goodness (and chickens... lots of chickens).

Dragon's Crown is also great - it reminds me heavily of the days where I used to sit at my friend's house playing Golden Axe, but now theres skill trees and actual strategy further than "that enemys close to the pit - knock them into it!"

The Vita is only now starting to gain it's stride with games - with titles like the aforementioned Dragon's Crown and Tearaway now out.

Still - the Vita still strikes me as an accompanying device as well as a portable... With the whole remote play option.

It does look like the library is going to blossom now though, with the number of titles that are being released on both PS3 & Vite - or even better, as crossbuy titles.
    I'll check out Dragon's Crown too, thanks. The one thing that is keeping me hanging on to Vita at the moment is that I intend to buy a PS4 at some point...

Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    No options for "Neither"?

I can't use anything that has "3D" in the title so the 3DS is out straight away (As are 3D films, TVs, etc..)

Would probably opt for the 2DS though..
    You can turn off the 3D effect on the 3DS, I have to because it gives me splitting headaches. I really can't stand the 2DS, big ugly door stop that it is. If they'd made it exactly like the 3DS but with 3D functionality removed, I'd have bought one, but I don't understand how that thing made it to market, it's vile.

Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    There's also "Bravely Default" on the 3DS. [I just downloaded the demo to play at lunch.]
    Yeah I've heard very good things about that, sound like it's an FF game in all but name

Thank Post
    You can turn off the 3D effect on the 3DS, I have to because it gives me splitting headaches. I really can't stand the 2DS, big ugly door stop that it is. If they'd made it exactly like the 3DS but with 3D functionality removed, I'd have bought one, but I don't understand how that thing made it to market, it's vile.
    Why buy a 3D device only to turn off the 3D feature? (Its a bit like buying a Fridge Freezer and never using the Fridge part of it......)
    I'd rather save a few £'s and get a 2D device and use the spare £'s to buy a few more games...

Though I have to agree about the style of the 2DS - why remove the hinge? Too big and clunky...

Not being able to see 3D stuff is annoying - we were in PC World last year and my wife and son were having a ball with a 3D smart TV with all the 3D stuff going on - too me it was just a fuzzy mess - even with the 3D glasses

Thank Post
    If you're a PC gamer why don't you sell your desktop and buy a gaming laptop that's light to carry around like the new 14" Razer Blade laptop. Never thought small handheld consoles where any good and I got sick and tired of the small screen used to give me neck ache as a kid lol

Thank Post
    Have to admit - much more a PC gamer than a console gamer - I hate controllers (we have a Wii and I can't co-ordinate the controller and nun-chuck and end up going round in circles) - give me a keyboard and mouse any day!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,108 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Not being able to see 3D stuff is annoying - we were in PC World last year and my wife and son were having a ball with a 3D smart TV with all the 3D stuff going on - too me it was just a fuzzy mess - even with the 3D glasses
    The 3DS does 3D differently than TVs, you may be able to actually use it.

Thank Post
    I don't have a 3DS though, I have a Vita also, don't know where you got your info on the R4 card from but I suspect it's wrong - Nintendo famously try to block any platform shifting (unless you pay for their authorised ports of course). Also, format shifting is still technically illegal in the UK. It's a big grey area and to be honest my days of messing in grey areas are done...
    The only reason it's a grey area is because Nintendo wouldn't be re-profiting off it :P but I hear you

Just get a 2Ds as well... you know you want to...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast