Poll: Which should I buy?

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 66
Gaming Thread, 3DS vs Vita in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by X-13 MH is a good game that has bad demos. Also, theres pretty much NO story. It's ...
  1. #16

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,447
    Thank Post
    1,438
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    MH is a good game that has bad demos.

    Also, theres pretty much NO story. It's basically "You're a hunter. Go kill things."

    And the camera IS bad. Boss monster camera lock is awesome.

    Le EDIT: a lot of the world building is done is NPC and quest text.

    It's also a game about skill. There's not really a point in the game where you can OHKO everything [without exploiting damage modifiers]. If you're not paying attention, you're going to have a bad time.
    Got to be honest, it sounds awful... I like a game to engage me, lack of a story is gonna make that difficult. I hate games where you have to spend a ton of time grinding to get anywhere and it sounds like that's pretty much all you do in this game... I don't see what all the hype is about?

    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I got almost 6 hours last night on PvZ with minimum brightness and that took me to about 3 2/5th battery (one off from red warning zone).
    Well here's where it becomes obvious I've been out of the portable market for a long time - 6 hours sounds great to me!

    OK, I think my decision is made - Vita. Only decision to make now is whether to pick up an "old" one with OLED screen or one of the new LCD ones. I've always been under the impression OLED is about as good as it gets in terms of both clarity and power consumption so I'm a bit confused why they've switched to LCD?

  2. #17
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burgh Heath, Surrey
    Posts
    4,075
    Thank Post
    812
    Thanked 353 Times in 277 Posts
    Blog Entries
    60
    Rep Power
    280
    Old models are fine TBH. I like my OLED screen and one of my favourite things about the Vita.

    Also PvZ isn't the most powerful game out there so might get less battery with a flashier title!

  3. #18

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,447
    Thank Post
    1,438
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Old models are fine TBH. I like my OLED screen and one of my favourite things about the Vita.

    Also PvZ isn't the most powerful game out there so might get less battery with a flashier title!
    I'm thinking I should get an old model sooner rather than later, I can see them doing a 60GB PS3 and becoming more expensive than the new models once they're no longer available!

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    18
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    3
    I bought a Vita before Christmas and I love it, as a PS+ member I get free games every month, and the quality of games now being released is much better, Killzone is fantastic its actually built on the Killzone 3 engine from PS3 and it seems a fair few ps4 games announced have vita versions too so far from dead

  5. #20
    AlfaTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    226
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    40
    3DS all the way!!! Goodness knows how many hours of gameplay I've racked up on mine (probably talking 3-4000 hours). There's a huge of variety of games, and no Nintendo is not just for kids. I have friends who I play multiplayer games with online/locally. I would say to get the 3DS XL though, unless you like petite portable gaming (I've been thinking of trading mine in for one but still haven't got around to it). My friends got a Vita and he was bored of it within a short period of time, I played it on occasion and wasn't that impressed, but each to their own. Ninty FTW!!!

  6. #21
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burgh Heath, Surrey
    Posts
    4,075
    Thank Post
    812
    Thanked 353 Times in 277 Posts
    Blog Entries
    60
    Rep Power
    280
    This is interesting: Compare the PS Vita 2000 to the OLED Version ~ PS Vita Hub | Playstation Vita News, PS Vita Blog

    Now, it could be due to the camera. I can't help but notice the OLED model (top) has far more vibrant colours then the 2000 LED model (bottom). The 2000 model has a larger screen and bigger buttons but the OLED model seems nicer and more compact?

  7. #22

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,447
    Thank Post
    1,438
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    This is interesting: Compare the PS Vita 2000 to the OLED Version ~ PS Vita Hub | Playstation Vita News, PS Vita Blog

    Now, it could be due to the camera. I can't help but notice the OLED model (top) has far more vibrant colours then the 2000 LED model (bottom). The 2000 model has a larger screen and bigger buttons but the OLED model seems nicer and more compact?
    Thanks, that is interesting. The LCD model looks like the colour balance is off - it's definitely got a much more yellow tone than the OLED. It's also clearly lacking in contrast. Frankly, it looks like a cheap Chinese copy in comparison!

    I'll be looking to pick up an OLED cheap on eBay when people rush out to upgrade! (I won't hold my breath lol)

  8. #23
    AlfaTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    226
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfaTech View Post
    I went into Game yesterday and following this discussion I thought I'd take a look at what's out for the Vita... man I was shocked by the sheer lack of titles for it!!!

    On the flipside I made a pre-order for a Limited Edition Pokemon Y 3DS XL. Yay! Happy days. Now I've gotta think about selling on my faithful old 3DS or DSi.
    Oops, it was actually following this discussion - I got confused.

  9. #24

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,447
    Thank Post
    1,438
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    Well I bought a Vita and... where are the games?!

    I signed up to PS+ and got a few free games from that:
    - Soul Sacrifice (only played briefly, not sure I like the controls)
    - Uncharted 3 (again only played briefly, seems OK apart from awkward camera angles)
    - Blazblue (can't be doing with fighting games!)
    - Vice City Stories (love GTA but seriously, no Vita update?!)
    - Gravity Rush (seems to be one of the highest rated games for Vita, I'm enjoying it in small bursts but it's so repetitive!)

    I got Tearaway and Little Big Planet with the console. Tearaway is good fun and probably best game I've seen using all of the Vita's features. Little Big Planet - well it's Little Big Planet both good fun if a little kid-ish

    I guess what I'm really disappointed in is the lack of "deep" games - I have a smartphone I can play endless casual games on, I really expected more depth from the Vita. My main reason for getting the Vita over 3DS is I thought the games would be more in depth - as it stands, I'm thinking the opposite is true!

    Think I'll give it a couple of months to see if it grows one me then trade for a 3DS if not.

    EDIT: also, it seems that downloads are the only way to go with the Vita but as has been said, the memory situation sucks. I noticed with Content Manager you can back up games to your PS3 though so at least you can store games you're not currently playing on there rather than downloading them again (big issue for me with my crappy BB)
    Last edited by LosOjos; 7th January 2014 at 02:42 PM.

  10. #25

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,033
    Thank Post
    591
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Think I'll give it a couple of months to see if it grows one me then trade for a 3DS if not.
    If you register a 3DS and one of the selected games you can get a free copy of Super Mario 3D Land. [I think it ends next week]

    The new Zelda is one of the selected games and it's good.

    Just something to think about...

  11. #26

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,447
    Thank Post
    1,438
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    If you register a 3DS and one of the selected games you can get a free copy of Super Mario 3D Land. [I think it ends next week]

    The new Zelda is one of the selected games and it's good.

    Just something to think about...
    Indeed... I'll check out when that offer ends tonight. A part of me thinks just hang in there with the Vita because it may well pick up steam thanks to them being pushed to PS4 owners, but then the other, bigger part of me says "screw it, I want games now."

    Might sell/trade the Vita for a 3DS then buy a PS4/Vita bundle when I have that kind of money... probably never!

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Herne Bay
    Posts
    228
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Got to be honest, it sounds awful... I like a game to engage me, lack of a story is gonna make that difficult. I hate games where you have to spend a ton of time grinding to get anywhere and it sounds like that's pretty much all you do in this game... I don't see what all the hype is about?
    I bought a 2DS (Cheap maps 3ds) Just for Monster hunter... why? Because I had MH on the original PSP and Loved it... What can I say about the MH on the DS? There is a story but it's little... the main point of monster hunter is to venture out WITH friends. Every tuesday I have 3 friends come round my flat, have a few beers and play Monster hunter. We've been doing that for near 3 months now... Still not at end game. We hit G rank (Hardest difficulty) but we have a long way to go.

    Monster hunter 4 comes out at the end of the year (Rumoured) which has DS multiplayer or you can play Online Multiplayer on the current MH3U if you have a Wii U. But like I say, sitting down with a load of friends playing a game where you rush a Gigantic monster with lots of play styles is great. All the small mechanics really do make it that much better.

  13. #28

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,447
    Thank Post
    1,438
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradlys View Post
    I bought a 2DS (Cheap maps 3ds) Just for Monster hunter... why? Because I had MH on the original PSP and Loved it... What can I say about the MH on the DS? There is a story but it's little... the main point of monster hunter is to venture out WITH friends. Every tuesday I have 3 friends come round my flat, have a few beers and play Monster hunter. We've been doing that for near 3 months now... Still not at end game. We hit G rank (Hardest difficulty) but we have a long way to go.

    Monster hunter 4 comes out at the end of the year (Rumoured) which has DS multiplayer or you can play Online Multiplayer on the current MH3U if you have a Wii U. But like I say, sitting down with a load of friends playing a game where you rush a Gigantic monster with lots of play styles is great. All the small mechanics really do make it that much better.
    OK, I can see the appeal there then but that's another reason for me not to buy it, I'm afraid I'm a massive loner when it comes to games! (actually I'm a massive loner full stop but that's another issue lol)

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Herne Bay
    Posts
    228
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    OK, I can see the appeal there then but that's another reason for me not to buy it, I'm afraid I'm a massive loner when it comes to games! (actually I'm a massive loner full stop but that's another issue lol)
    Well, it depends what kind of games you like... try naming some of the titles you've like in the past :P

  15. #30


    DMcGuigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    613
    Thank Post
    31
    Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    110
    I went for the Vita over the 3DS, don't regret it in the slightest.
    I've got PS+ anyway for my PS3 / PS4, and the addition of remote play / second screen functionality through it is pretty nice.

    Uncharted was a pretty good game, burned through it over a weekend, probably gonna go through on a higher difficulty at some point and get a few more trophies.
    I just got Soul Sacrifice and I pretty much hated it until I'd done the first chapter, really getting into it now.

    Guacamelee is probably the best game I've played on it so far though, Luchador MetroidVania.. what's not to love?! :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sony PS Vita or Nintendo 3DS?
    By BassTech in forum Gaming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 8th March 2012, 12:59 PM
  2. Curriculum Vitae - Any good advice?
    By tarquel in forum Educational IT Jobs
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 5th January 2010, 08:59 PM
  3. Windows Xp vs Windows Vista
    By tosca925 in forum Windows Vista
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 3rd May 2006, 07:27 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22nd February 2006, 08:51 AM
  5. Gnome vs KDE
    By _Bob_ in forum *nix
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 15th December 2005, 09:37 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •