+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Wii U receives another blow in Fun Stuff; It seems that Asda will no longer be selling the console and the last quarter sales figures for the console ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wii U receives another blow

It seems that Asda will no longer be selling the console and the last quarter sales figures for the console are not looking very good either at only 160,000 units sold: BBC News - Asda removes Nintendo's Wii U from stores

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,994 Posts
    Wow!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,359 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Everyone is waiting for Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

I know I am.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nothing has really caught my eye TBH, even with the upcoming releases.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Everyone is waiting for Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

I know I am.
    This is why I stopped buying Nintendo consoles tho, they have no originality anymore. They just wheel out the same old tired first party franchises and... that's about it. Third party support has been terrible since the N64 days.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    This is why I stopped buying Nintendo consoles tho, they have no originality anymore. They just wheel out the same old tired first party franchises and... that's about it. Third party support has been terrible since the N64 days.
    This +1

I bought the last Wii to play Zelda and Mario but other than that it's spent most of it's time gathering dust. I can't see myself buying a Wii U unless they cut the price to the point of giving it away (around £100). If they think it's selling poorly now just wait another 6 months time until the new Xbox and PlayStation are out.

Buying a console just to play Nintendo's own first party games doesn't make sense and the third party developers seem to be deserting the Wii like rats jumping from a sinking ship ...
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 31st July 2013 at 11:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    Unlike xbox and playstation, which have the same 3rd party games over and over...

There's no 3rd party support on WiiU because there's no 3rd party support. Devs need a company or 2 to release some decent games, to get sales of the console up, but none of them want to take the risk.
    Last edited by X-13; 1st August 2013 at 08:27 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There's no 3rd party support on WiiU because there's no 3rd party support. Devs need a company or 2 to release some decent games, to get sales of the console up, but none of them want to take the risk.
    Well both Activision (Activision lines up six game titles for Nintendo Wii U- The Inquirer) and UbiSoft (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch_Dogs) appear to be actively supporting the Wii U.

The problem for the Wii U is it is barely more powerful than the PS3/360. I already have a PS3, these 3rd Party games are being released on those consoles too. I get the same experience from the same game without having to donate £350 to Nintendo. Then of course there is the PS4/XB1, I'm hoping for a better experience out of Watch_Dog's on that.

I've said elsewhere, Nintendo need to focus on their core market and get some quality first party games out. An exclusivity deal with Sega could really help out. A lower £200 max price point. And sorting out the Virtual Console as between Sega and Nintendo they have some very very compelling IP there.

Done correctly and Nintendo can be come the 2nd console of choice. After all why would you want to buy an XB1 if you bought a PS4 (or vise-versa)? They're the same console. If the only place you can play both Sega and Nintendo is on the Wii U, with all that history and some new compelling titles?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Done correctly and Nintendo can be come the 2nd console of choice. After all why would you want to buy an XB1 if you bought a PS4 (or vise-versa)? They're the same console. If the only place you can play both Sega and Nintendo is on the Wii U, with all that history and some new compelling titles?
    Which was exactly how the Wii was regarded.

It wasn't an "or" console [360 or PS3] it was an "and" [360/PS3 and Wii]

Not being as powerful as the Xbone/PS4 isn't a big deal to me, they are as not powerful as PC [Or soon won't be] and they still have good games. Which is what Ninty are good at, making good [fun] games. It isn't about the super realistic graphics and fish reaction technology [which Last of Us has...] it's about making something that has a good story and is fun to play.

That being said, stylised graphics can look just as good as hyper realism. Skyward Sword is beautiful.

However, it doesn't help that it's [censored] expensive... I can buy a new PS3 for less than the basic Wii U.
    Last edited by X-13; 1st August 2013 at 09:16 AM.

Thank Post
    Performance was never an issue. You can still have great games without needing to pump out a quadrillion gigatexels per picosecond. The issue that Nintendo have, IMO, is about branding. A huge number of sales for the original Wii came from so-called casual gamers who bought the console for Wii Fit etc. Why would people need to spend another £200 on a machine when the first one does the same job? They should have renamed the console completely, and tried going down another avenue.

In the end, the 360/PS3 was purchased for blockbuster games, driven mainly by the 18-30 crowd who want the latest and greatest to play on Live/PSN against their friends. The Wii (and U) never had those kinds of games, and the games that they do have aren't reliant on graphics to enjoy.

The hardcore Nintendo loyalists aren't purchasing it because it's lacking the usual killer first-party titles like a new Zelda. To the masses, the Wii U is another Wii but with a tablet thingy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fromtheinternet View Post
    ...a quadrillion gigatexels per picosecond...
    What a co-incidence. The next VeryPC product has a spec of exactly a quadrillion gigatexels per picosecond! [yes - that is its "spec"]

Back on topic - I agree with @X-13 that since they launched the Wii, Nintendo's consoles have been an "and" product, offering a style of gameplay not generally associated with the PS3/Xbox, which justified buying it as a second console.

I've always seen the Wii and Wii-U as more of a "family" console, and Nintendo certainly seem to market it this way. Not sure why this marketing no longer seems to be working, but it is a shame to see the decline - more choice in the marketplace is always a good thing.

Al
    Last edited by VeryPC; 1st August 2013 at 02:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC View Post
    offering a style of gameplay not generally associated with the PS3/Xbox, which justified buying it as a second console.
    DnD - Wii U edition. Tablet is DM.

Someone needs to make it happen.

Also [Not my idea]

I am glad I'm not the only one with this thought. I would love to see that. I could even imagine the DM going in and making maps and stuff to show up on the tv when playing. I would even go one step further and say why not add connectivity to the 3ds so players could have their character sheets available to them at all times?
    ZombiU is a pretty cool concept, with the tablet showing things you can't see on the screen.

Hopefully WiiU Zelda uses it properly too. [Not Wind Waker HD... Wind Waker is boring.]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC View Post
    What a co-incidence. The next VeryPC product has a spec of exactly a quadrillion gigatexels per picosecond! [yes - that is its "spec"]
    Do you need a beta tester?

I've always seen the Wii and Wii-U as more of a "family" console, and Nintendo certainly seem to market it this way. Not sure why this marketing no longer seems to be working, but it is a shame to see the decline - more choice in the marketplace is always a good thing.
    The problem is there is nothing the Wii U offers that the 360+Kinnect+Smartglass or PS3+Move doesn't already offer. It's not that much of an upgrade from Wii+MotionPlus. Without compelling 1st party titles why buy? I'm not sure Nintendo titles on their own are good enough any more. I've think they've flogged Mario and Donkey Kong to death. They should never have let Square Enix or Rare get away.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wind Waker is boring
    *cough* *cough* What?! *confused face*

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    *cough* *cough* What?! *confused face*
    I'm currently at... I think the second to last temple. Maybe the last one.

I have a few bits left to get item-wise, hearts + triforces IIRC, I REALLY CAN'T BE BOTHERED!

The sailing is tedious. I have the warp song [whatever it's called] WHY CAN'T I WARP EVERYWHERE!!!

The island stuff is cool, the sea makes me want to kill myself.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast