+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Wii U receives another blow in Fun Stuff; I thought Wind Waker was pretty cool but I still have the GameCube version sitting on my shelf so if ...
    Thank Post
    I thought Wind Waker was pretty cool but I still have the GameCube version sitting on my shelf so if I had the inclination I could to play it on my Wii. In fact I still have a GameCube lying around somewhere! As someone who's owned pretty much every Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft console released in the last 20 years (I'm sad like that) the Wii U is the first one I'm contemplating passing on!

It says a lot about the state of Nintendo when one of the biggest releases of the year is an HD refresh of a decade old gamecube game.

Thank Post
    I'm so confused. Is the Wii U a console or a portable device? The screen on the controller would do my head in, I only want to look at one - my TV!

As long as fishing in this new Zelda isn't as completely *!$^$! up as it was in Twilight Princess on the Wii, then I'm happy. I'm still shell-shocked by the price of the Basic model though, blimey. Agreeing with the comments though, ever since they released the Wii it has been the "and" console approach, and I've always regarded it as more of a family console. Though it's fun to go online on your own on Mario Kart, beat all the other players and feel smug/victorious only to realise you've been racing against six year olds. Not really credible anymore.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TBlax View Post
    Though it's fun to go online on your own on Mario Kart, beat all the other players and feel smug/victorious only to realise you've been racing against six year olds. Not really credible anymore.
    I'd rather defeat 6 year olds in Mario Kart, than suffer idiots in Call of Duty Dog 58.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    I'd rather defeat 6 year olds in Mario Kart, than suffer idiots in Call of Duty Dog 58.
    Hehe true true, well both have the same mental age

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Hehe true true, well both have the same mental age
    Not really. I've had proper conversations with 6 year olds [mostly relatives, some random pupils that were in a class I was working in] about computers and vidya gaems.

All you're going to get out of CoD idiots is profanity and their insistence that they slept with your mother.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Do you need a beta tester?
    The beta testing positions for this certainly real and actually existing product that definitely does what I claim above are already taken by a ghost, an elf, the Minotaur and a fairy, so we've got a full complement sorry.

Al

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC View Post
    The beta testing positions for this certainly real and actually existing product that definitely does what I claim above are already taken by a ghost, an elf, the Minotaur and a fairy, so we've got a full complement sorry.

Al
    So you dont need a Dwarf with a level 5 Axe then No fair, I'll have an incompatibility spell cast on your hardware! (Bloody Minotaurs have all the fun!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Fair shout! That's why I stopped playing it after CoD 3, they got too focused on the Multiplayer and naturally all the console kiddies soon did gather. I still remember thinking the original CoD singleplayers were badass enough. They still are now, it all went bad after 3 *violin*

call of doody call of doody call of doody tv tv etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    From the top of my head, I think I've only seen one Wii U advert to date (in the UK). Maybe their marketing budget is a little flat? I do agree also that ultimately the games sell the console and not the other way around, although in saying that I think gamers today pay more attention to the specs of a console than they did say 15 years ago.

I've not quite understood why Nintendo seem to be releasing their flagship home console with last generation specifications. The NES and Master System were similar, as were the Super NES and the MegaDrive. The PS1 and the N64 started to see the divide and since this generation, the spec gap seems to be getting larger and larger.

In the longterm I think Nintendo will go the way of Sega, becoming a software only developer with the exception of arcade machines.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I've not quite understood why Nintendo seem to be releasing their flagship home console with last generation specifications. The NES and Master System were similar, as were the Super NES and the MegaDrive. The PS1 and the N64 started to see the divide and since this generation, the spec gap seems to be getting larger and larger..
    Nintendo releasing substandard hardware is a development that seemed to start with the Gamecube. The SNES was massively superior to the Sega MegaDrive though admittedly it was released a year or two later. Likewise, the N64 was way more powerful at rendering 3D than the first Playstation and Sega Saturn.

If anything I think Nintendo screwed up releasing the Wii U before the PS4/XBone. I think they'd have done far better if they waited until Sony/MS played their hands and released a system with specs on a par with them a year or so later. By launching early with inferior hardware they've nerfed any chance of getting third party ports of Xbone/PS4 releases. I'm sure Nintendo will still have enough life left in them to release a follow-up to the Wii U and doubtless another Nintendo DS. With the other players crowding out the home console market and tablets/phones eating at their mobile market share things are looking tough for them at this point though.

They could well end up in the same boat as Sega.
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 1st August 2013 at 11:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I've not quite understood why Nintendo seem to be releasing their flagship home console with last generation specifications. The NES and Master System were similar, as were the Super NES and the MegaDrive. The PS1 and the N64 started to see the divide and since this generation, the spec gap seems to be getting larger and larger.
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    Nintendo releasing substandard hardware is a development that seemed to start with the Gamecube. The SNES was massively superior to the Sega MegaDrive though admittedly it was released a year or two later. Likewise, the N64 was way more powerful at rendering 3D than the first Playstation and Sega Saturn.
    Actually the GameCube was a pretty well spec'd console also, better CPU/GPU than PS2. What scuppered both N64 and GameCube was Nintendo's choice of Media. The Wii was a bit of a marketing master stroke and it appear's they perhaps where trying to do the same again with the Wii-U, possible without fully understanding what had gone so right the first time.

Thank Post
    Nintendo releasing substandard hardware is a development that seemed to start with the Gamecube.
    They do this because they like to see a profit on the hardware from day one, whereas Sony/Microsoft tend to lose a lot of money on the hardware until a few years down the line. They make their money on people buying the software.
    I think the wii had a really low "attach rate" (Amount of games that people buy) so it made sense. Most people just played the wii sports & bought say.. wii fit.

PS/xbox gamers tend to buy more games, so for them it makes sense.

Thank Post
    I read somewhere that Asda dropped the price by 100 quid, which increased sales by 2.5 units per store... (100 stores)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    They do this because they like to see a profit on the hardware from day one, whereas Sony/Microsoft tend to lose a lot of money on the hardware until a few years down the line. They make their money on people buying the software.
    I think the wii had a really low "attach rate" (Amount of games that people buy) so it made sense. Most people just played the wii sports & bought say.. wii fit.

PS/xbox gamers tend to buy more games, so for them it makes sense.
    The irony here is that eventually there will be no console as such in your living room. You'll buy the controllers and it'll all be streamed straight to your TV via a subscription. Maybe this goes to show how out of touch Nintendo are becoming?

Both Sony and Microsoft are making both of their consoles more than just a console, integrating TV and other streaming media - but all this technology (as above) could be integrated into a TV or via a module and accessed via the internet for future generations.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm not so convinced. OnLive was technically impressive but it did quiet aplty show off the technical difficulties of streaming games, especially during peak hours. I think, like the desktop PC, there will alway be a need for a dedicated gaming device. It just, like the PC, going to have a tougher time justifying it's exitance next to mobile wireless devices.

Over the next 4-5 years I'd expect to see the PC market consolidate around 3-4 big players like Lenovo and Acer, rather than loads of PC manufacturers. Similarly I'm not sure the market exists any more for 3 games console. Someones gonna bow out this generation, not 100% sure it will be Nintendo - but they do seem the most likely.

As for integrating into the TV, that's not so easy. Meny have tried and failed. The XBox One is an interesting shot a breaking through Cable and Satelite operators feefdoms. Google tried and failed, and are trying again. Apple might be the closest yet but the AppleTV isn't exactly a mass-market device. It actually surprises me that TV's are still built with built in tuners or Smart TV functions, more and more they seem to be just glorified oversized PC monitors with 4-5 PC like devices hanging off their HDMI ports.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast