+ Post New Thread
Gaming Thread, Sony Announces 40 GB PlayStation 3 in Fun Stuff; [align=center] Sony Announces 40 GB PlayStation 3 For Europe; No Backward Compatibility [/align] [align=center]Following weeks of rumors, Sony Computer Entertainment ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Sony Announces 40 GB PlayStation 3

[align=center]Sony Announces 40 GB PlayStation 3 For Europe; No Backward Compatibility[/align]

[align=center]Following weeks of rumors, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has announced a new 40 GB PlayStation 3 model for release in Europe that will list at $565.

The unit is being released in response to feedback from current PlayStation 3 owners, as well as research indicating demand for a less-expensive model. Along with the smaller hard drive, the new version will feature two USB ports instead of four, will not include a memory card port and, most significantly, will not be backward-compatible with PlayStation 2 titles. Sony said the removal of PlayStation 2 support in the console is the result of "reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3," as well as plans for a more robust selection of PlayStation 3 games for Christmas.

"The introduction of the new PS3 has been the result of extensive research into the entertainment needs and preferences of the next generation of PS3 owners," said SCEE President David Reeves. "It has allowed us to delivery an extremely advanced, yet incredibly affordable high definition gaming and entertainment system, configured to the next generation of European PS3 owners."

The existing 60 GB Starter Pack, which does sport PlayStation 2 compatibility, will remain on sale throughout Europe while stock lasts, at a reduced price of just over $700, except in the U.K. and Ireland, where it will be replaced by a separate in-store 60 GB promotion. Sony has made no comment thus far regarding the possible release of a 40 GB PlayStation 3 in North America.[/align]

Source Link

Regards

James

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Sony Announces 40 GB PlayStation 3

ok i found out today that Sony Japan's ceramic white PS3 and DualShock 3 announced

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/09/s...k-3-announced/

luks quite nice but i'm sticking with my 360

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,532 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think the PS3's are far to expensive at the moment I won't be buying one

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

They are i 110% agree with you, I mean At least when the not so good version of console is only about £280 pound when i worked it out so i supose thats a better price

Thank Post

as well as research indicating demand for a less-expensive model.

D'ya think?!?!?

How about you take the pointless Blu-ray drive out, thatll make it cheaper! Oh no wait, the Blu-Ray is all part of sonys plans for world domination... mawahhaha

My mates had one for ages now and hes still to find a single game thats any good. Well Virtua Tennis is alright for about 20mins then we normally end up putting Mario Football on on the Gamecube! I mean come on, its a bloody gamecube ffs, and hes a "sony fanboy" aswell so...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Lol yh i would think of investing in one if they just out some decent games out for the god dam thing.. maybe there taking some ideas of microsoft and though right we will beat MS and get the hardware part right make it versy expensive hard ware but still it will be better. oh but will the really good hardware we will just but some crap games out there and every one will ump for joy and buy our amazing console

Yh Right !!

Hardly anyone went to the launch of the console.. so what makes them think there going to make millions its a joke, glad to see there at least trying to make the dam thing cheaper like you say if they took the useless blu- ray drive out they could put the console out for at least 200 pound lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

it isn't just a console, ps3 can also be a workstation. Add the price of your home computer and your console for a better comparison.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_3

Thank Post

^ That was always going to be the main/only reason i bought one (if i ever do). Will be waiting till they are dirt cheap mind.

Thats just gave me an idea though. We are maybe/hopefully setting up an internal webhost at school... hmm, wonder how reliable it would be on 24/7.

Anyone know how well apache etc utilise the power of the PS3?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I found on a site that IGN did a review on the Linux Rollout:-

* The graphics chip is not supported at the moment, and neither is 3D graphics. IGN reports that one half of the system's memory isn't visible. This makes sense since the 512MB is split between the video and the processor.

* The system runs pretty smoothly. Startup for Firefox was about 5 seconds, which sounds normal to me on my P4 3ghz running E17.

* Screenshots include the E17 desktop, which looks fairly complete. No word on what modules are supported for E17, but remember it's in active development and just recently overhauled the entire module system, including adding the shelf.

* You can only install Linux in one of two configurations - a 50/10 split on the 60gb drive. So you either give most of your space to linux or to the PS3 for games and media, but you can't split it 30/30 or any other way.

* Unlike a comment below, IGN reports that the Wireless card is supported, but not automatically detected. You'll have to choose the driver manually apparently.

* Firefox, Thunderbird, Gaim, the GIMP, and OO.o are included. Flash is not since it doesn't exist for the Cell processor yet.

* Titan, which I've never heard of, is the default media player but has no plugins available. You have to download them on your own.

Source: http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl...6/12/07/211214

Hope that gives people who are thinking of doing Geeky things with the PS3 a little extra info :P

@Sparky - i like the idea that you come up with would be nice to find out if apache etc will utillise the power

Regards
    James

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread