+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Gaming Thread, Petition to Bring The Division to PC in Fun Stuff; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Sometimes it just isn't cost effective and it won't guarantee sales.
    Most PCs wouldn't be fast enough either.

No PC port for EA’s high-end sports engine « Ars Technica

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Not only memory architecture, but the OS and the chip.
    Actually, I think the OS and "the chip" will have less impact than you might imagine. I'm sure I red somewhere that Sony based their API's around DX11 this time then added in lots of lower level stuff if devs want to us it. In theory porting should be a little more straight forward from an API point of view.

The other chip (rumored to be ARM based) is (AFIAK) only used by the OS, not by games, and is basically the Gaikai engine which enables streaming games to the PS Vita and all the video encoding/decoding around the new share features.

Architecturally the biggest headaches for devs between consoles and PC this gen is the RAM. Bot PS4 and XB1 use unified RAM so the CPU just passes pointers to the GPU telling it where the code is that needs executing (and vise versa). On PC's with segregated RAM all that code needs to be copied by the CPU from one memory location to another. Major speed win for consoles!

makes me chuckle over people comparing the new consoles to £150 graphics cards, they are NOT comparable when implemented correctly even if you forget the 8gb of DDR5
    I've been thinking about it, and I recon PS4 should be roughly in line with a Quad-core i5 running at around 3Ghz and Hyper-Threading, 12Gb Ram, HD7870 graphics with 3Gb Ram. It's not spot on, but trying to take as many variables in to account as possible I think that's the closest you can build at the moment.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd support a PC release of a game only if it is ported properly. It isn't just the hardware and OS that is different, PC is an entirely different cultural world to consoles. We tweak settings, use a different input method for menus and run privately hosted servers. If a game has a limited set of options to tweak, console-oriented interface and locked down lobby systems then it should frankly stay on the console platform it was born on.

This goes double if it is tied to GfWL...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Most PCs wouldn't be fast enough either.

No PC port for EA’s high-end sports engine « Ars Technica
    Fifa 14 [the one PCs "can't run" is being released on PS2. My laptop can run PS2 games perfectly fine.]

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information