+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Xbox One: Tomorrow's Announcement in Fun Stuff; That was awful....

Thank Post
    That was awful.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think there are bigger questions to be asked.

Microsoft are in serious trouble, they have been for quite a while now and this shambles of a press conference hasn't helped any. If I was a shareholder I'd be baying for blood right now!

They have singularly failed to establish any kind of presence in the ultra important tablet and mobile phone markets. Bing and Office365 continue to struggle against Google and Yahoo. IE's market share is falling ( Browser Statistics). Windows 8 has alienated their core corporate market. And now this...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    After sitting through both this and the earlier PS4 announcement, all I can say is that I'm glad I don't own a console. I will continue to maintain my PC for all my computing needs.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Think it's in a low power mode when it's "off" to allow updates to download.
    How long until we see someone trying and failing to turn it on via voice command....with the mains turned off.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 1,937 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    They have singularly failed to establish any kind of presence in the ultra important tablet and mobile phone markets.
    Windows Phone is in third place now. That's a pretty good position to be in don't you think?

Windows Phone now the third place smartphone ecosystem as BlackBerry sinks further

Windows 8 has alienated their core corporate market.
    The same core corporate market who are either still running Windows 2000 / XP or are in the process of migrating to Windows 7. Why should Microsoft care about these dinosaurs?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Windows Phone is in third place now. That's a pretty good position to be in don't you think?
    It depends on how selectively you use your figures. In 2004 Microsoft had 23% of the smartphone marketshare. Getting 3.5% marketshare in 2013 isn't too good.
    Microsoft plans

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The same core corporate market who are either still running Windows 2000 / XP or are in the process of migrating to Windows 7. Why should Microsoft care about these dinosaurs?
    Don't be bloody daft! These "dinosaurs" are Microsoft's bread and butter. They make more each year out of Office licences than anything else they do. These dinosaurs need an upgrade path when Microsoft stop patching, updating and supporting old software - as they have just done with XP. The u-turn on the start button in SP1 (I mean Windows 8.1) tells you all you need to know about the importance of this market.

MS are srewing up badly at the moment. How Steve Ballmer is still in a job is any ones guess...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't be bloody daft! These "dinosaurs" are Microsoft's bread and butter. They make more each year out of Office licences than anything else they do. These dinosaurs need an upgrade path when Microsoft stop patching, updating and supporting old software - as they have just done with XP. The u-turn on the start button in SP1 (I mean Windows 8.1) tells you all you need to know about the importance of this market.

MS are srewing up badly at the moment. How Steve Ballmer is still in a job is any ones guess...
    You're not wrong. I looked at their division profits a little while ago and it worked out at something like 3/4 of all profit came from their business division - a.k.a. the Office and server division.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You're not wrong. I looked at their division profits a little while ago and it worked out at something like 3/4 of all profit came from their business division - a.k.a. the Office and server division.
    MS should decouple Office from the rest of the company and it would make even more money.
    I couldn't imagine a scenario where a non-MS company wouldn't sell office for the majority of platforms - ie unix based telephones and tablets.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    In 2004 Microsoft had 23% of the smartphone marketshare.
    In 2004, Google and Apple had 0% of the smartphone market (just like Canonical and Jolla do now). Your point is?

It depends on how selectively you use your figures.
    Those figures aren't made up. They are from IDC.

Thank Post
    In 2004, Google and Apple had 0% of the smartphone market (just like Canonical and Jolla do now). Your point is?
    That MS have been in the smartphone market a LONG time and they completely dropped the ball.

Thank Post
    I'm feeling pretty underwhelmed so far given what MS have announced today. Hopefully they're holding back on some of the more exciting features.

Thank Post
    These "dinosaurs" are Microsoft's bread and butter.
    I didn't mean in the financial sense. The large majority of businesses downgrade their licenses - Windows 8 to 2000/XP/Vista/7 and Office 2013 to 2003/2007/2010. Why should Microsoft care about companies who are happy with the status quo? It doesn't matter how Windows 8 was received by them because most of them will not be upgrading to it. They are still migrating to Windows 7 (see the article I linked above). If it was up to them most would probably stick with Windows XP for the next 10-20 years!

How would you sell tablets and touchscreen laptops to consumers if Windows 8 looked exactly like Windows 7?
    Last edited by Arthur; 21st May 2013 at 11:48 PM.

Thank Post
    That MS have been in the smartphone market a LONG time and they completely dropped the ball.
    Wouldn't you agree that Microsoft made the right decision to start from scratch and design a new operating system specifically for smartphones? Dropping the ball would be sticking with Windows Mobile despite it being wholly unsuitable for modern smartphones.

If you think Microsoft are doing bad, perhaps you should take a look at HTC, Sony, LG, Motorola, Huawei and ZTE. They take home less than 5% of the total profits from Android smartphones between them. The other 95% goes straight to Samsung. Is that good?

Google also dropped a pretty big ball by buying Motorola for $12.5 billion and then essentially doing nothing with the company.
    Last edited by Arthur; 22nd May 2013 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Spelling

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    MS should decouple Office from the rest of the company and it would make even more money.
    I couldn't imagine a scenario where a non-MS company wouldn't sell office for the majority of platforms - ie unix based telephones and tablets.
    Microsoft have a great position, they don't just sell Office products but also the very groundwork that the office programs run on. This gives them a ton of control as on another operating system, they have to work by someone else's standards. On Windows, MS control the OS and they can set their own standards and way of working which customers get used to and lets them operate to those standards on other platforms due to customer demand. How else could office binary formats have lasted so long before they finally had to open them up a bit with an XML format instead of people going straight for open formats? They had the market and they dictated the format.

If they decouple the Office business from the OS division then they risk losing this position. People still buy Windows and still run MS products on MS platforms and that's what they cling to by trying to ensure once you go MS, you want to stay MS. With Google killing off popular services at whim, Apple locking their customers into their own walled gardens and Linux still failing to get enough traction on the user desktop they know it's a position worth exploiting. I'm amazed that Office 365 in some form or another didn't appear in the XB1 reveal but I wouldn't mind betting we see it alongside SkyDrive on the console (which to admit, might make it a very interesting comparison against Sony's offering if you can take snaps, put them on SkyDrive then show them on your console!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast