+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Xbox One: Tomorrow's Announcement in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by tmcd35 Lot's of talk about Gaikai being used for it but Sony seem to be saying "don't ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Lot's of talk about Gaikai being used for it but Sony seem to be saying "don't expect it day 1" , we'll get it dribs and drabs over a few years I expect. As for porting existing games - too many off them, would take the developers (who'd do the work, not MS/Sony) far too long to do. They've got better things to be doing - like making new games! Some will inevitably get ported but not something I'd hold my breath on...
    Given that they dropped the backwards compatibility pretty sharpish with the PS3, I'd say they're only talking about it now to keep people happy at launch, and then they'll drop it quietly. BC is still a new feature to my mind anyway, it only came in with the PS2...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordyboy View Post
    Sony didn't show the PS4 console due to them holding a separate event at E3, which will prevent their main rival Microsoft from having an advantage of seeing what Sony has to offer before showing everyone the new Xbox. Also the Kinect 2 is rumored to be unveiled alongside the new Xbox and hopefully should have some new games made exclusively for the new Kinect.
    Rubbish, if you going to announce a new console you should at least give your target audience an idea of what the new console is going to look like. If Microsoft come out with even just a concept of what the next Xbox is going to look like, they will gain an advantage over Sony.

I am aware that the Kinect 2 is going to be bundled with the next Xbox. What I want to know is do I need the Kinect "always on" to play a game on the Xbox or can I turn it off. Is the Kinect going to be a physical part of the console or is it separate?

I do hope they go light on the Kinect games. Yes the Kinect is good but its more a party piece. Its not really good for anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordyboy View Post
    As for the new exclusive IP's we should hopefully hear about them at today's event or during E3, and for backwards compatibility it'll be interesting to see what Microsoft will have to offer. They could just as easily offer downloads via Xbox Live for the previous Xbox 360 and original Xbox titles like Sony is doing with the PS3 at the moment...
    I am expecting them to tease new IP's today or at least reveal what IP's will be coming out. Will be interested to see about backward compatibility as well

Thank Post
    Its going to be an amazing games machine but I’m anticipating a further shift towards a media hub. I think Microsoft want to take on Apple TV/Tivo/Sky and replace those boxes with their own.

Thank Post
    MS need some decent exclusives to make it worthwhile, Sony are beating them hands down in that dept.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    MS need some decent exclusives to make it worthwhile, Sony are beating them hands down in that dept.
    I really wish they'd stop doing console exclusives...

I'm thinking MS are going to do a Sony with regards to the always online thing. "It's up to developers"

I mean, why else would EA get rid of their online passes?

Thank Post
    There was talk of the new XBox having an XBox 360 system on a chip to allow for backward compatibility. I think there was evidence of work having been done and there being a gap or an unlabeled chip on the plans. That would be interesting if it could work. It made me chuckle that there was a hoo har over Xbox always on rumour and no BC but Sony got a free pass on BC not straight away and it will be streamed so needing always on!! (while playing BC games, I know)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    BC is still a new feature to my mind anyway, it only came in with the PS2...
    Not even close! It's been an issue and sometimes feature for as long as there's been consoles. I can think of a few early examples (Colecovision and Intellivision in particular).

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostgame View Post
    Rubbish, if you going to announce a new console you should at least give your target audience an idea of what the new console is going to look like. If Microsoft come out with even just a concept of what the next Xbox is going to look like, they will gain an advantage over Sony.l
    Sony are playing an expert marketing game and running rings around MS in the process. Yesterdays PS4 teaser video being a good example. Sony have left MS no choice but to show of the console! That's why they didn't do it back in Feb.

Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Its going to be an amazing games machine but I’m anticipating a further shift towards a media hub. I think Microsoft want to take on Apple TV/Tivo/Sky and replace those boxes with their own.
    If the rumors are to be believed that's going to be the bones of tonights announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    There was talk of the new XBox having an XBox 360 system on a chip to allow for backward compatibility.
    A strange design choice of they do. Apart from increasing the unit price, why install two high powered CPU's? Doesn't make sense to me. Of all the components in the 360, the CPU is the one that doesn't actually need the upgrade. I can't see there being a huge leap between the 360 CPU and rumored AMD CPU. They'd be better off sticking with PowerPC than switching to x86 if BC is really that important...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    I really wish they'd stop doing console exclusives...
    Trouble is some of the best 'system seller' quality games have been exclusives (MGS, GT, Forza).
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 21st May 2013 at 01:16 PM.

Thank Post
    my problem with kinect being built in is that i have kinnect on my 360 and its useless i dont have a big enough space to use it it just says back away from the telly

Thank Post
    Sony are playing an expert marketing game and running rings around MS in the process. Yesterdays PS4 teaser video being a good example. Sony have left MS no choice but to show of the console! That's why they didn't do it back in Feb.
    Yeah Sony have tried to steal Microsofts thunder with a tease but they should have done that in Feb. Speculation didn't really last that long as they did not really tease much and it was probably summed up best at the end with Square Enix who said your going to have to wait till E3. If they had done this teaser in Feb we would still be speculation.

Microsoft seems to have generated more speculation about this new console without actually having said anything. That tells me that Microsoft are doing a better play at the marketing game than what Sony have been doing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That's an interesting perspective @Ghostgame, all the talk I've seen on the net since Feb has been about PS4. What games are coming, how it's spec does/doesn't compare to PC's, etc. I've heard very little in the way of MS except "It might be called Infinty...". And what happens as soon as MS announce they actually have something to say? Sony steal their thunder and say "look over here this is what our machine looks like (If you squint really hard you might just see it)".

I'm actually looking forward to tonight to see what MS are planning. Haven't like some of the things I've heard so far, be good to hear chapter and verse from MS themselves.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostgame View Post
    Yeah Sony have tried to steal Microsofts thunder with a tease but they should have done that in Feb. Speculation didn't really last that long as they did not really tease much and it was probably summed up best at the end with Square Enix who said your going to have to wait till E3. If they had done this teaser in Feb we would still be speculation.
    It would have died out in the same time (its just created more talk IMHO) with only games and release dates to show at E3.

E3 is always bigger than individual shows, the whole industry gathers, not just the individual console fan boys. Gonna be massive this year.

Thank Post
    A strange design choice of they do. Apart from increasing the unit price, why install two high powered CPU's? Doesn't make sense to me. Of all the components in the 360, the CPU is the one that doesn't actually need the upgrade. I can't see there being a huge leap between the 360 CPU and rumored AMD CPU. They'd be better off sticking with PowerPC than switching to x86 if BC is really that important...
    Well the article I read said something about the resources being able to be used in by the full processor, meaning the cost wouldn't have to be as well as it could be including. It would be a bold move if they can pull it off, but we shall see later!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    but Sony got a free pass on BC not straight away and it will be streamed so needing always on!! (while playing BC games, I know)
    Not from me, they didn't.

I don't like companies expecting me to pay out over and over again for the same thing. Plus, it smacks of yet another company thinking the game is licenced and not owned.
    Last edited by X-13; 21st May 2013 at 02:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    I don't like companies expecting me to pay out over and over again for the same thing.
    How many times do you own Ocarina of Time?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast