+ Post New Thread
Page 28 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Xbox One: Tomorrow's Announcement in Fun Stuff; ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    People appear to be forgetting that the PS4 will come with a £40 a year subscription for some of it features, you pays your money and you takes your choice.
    Or not as the case might have it

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,964 Times in 2,179 Posts
    Microsoft 'committed' to original Xbox One plans, reveals new 'Home Gold' sharing features « The Verge

Microsoft had originally planned to let Xbox One users share any games digitally, but a backlash over the used games policies and online check forced the company to reverse most of its promising plans. Although disc-based games can no longer be converted into digitally shareable copies, Microsoft is outlining what can be shared this week, and it's very similar to how the Xbox 360 works today. The reversal of policies may have changed Microsoft's plans, but Xbox chief product officer Marc Whitten tells us that "most people will use this platform connected," and the company still plans to bring back some of the original Xbox One features.

Xbox One games purchased digitally can be used by all players in a household on an Xbox One. Just as discs can be played by any family member today, Microsoft will allow Xbox One owners to create a virtual game library that includes different games that family members have purchased digitally. Any family member will be able to pick a digital game and sign in with their account even if the original owner is not signed in. Xbox One owners will also be able to play digitally downloaded games without being online. Essentially, Xbox Live digital games are tied to your gamertag, but they're also tied to your primary console. Despite this, Microsoft is not commenting on when features like being able to resell digital games will become available, but Whitten says Xbox One's digital vision is "going to drive a lot of different business models over time."

Xbox One owners will be able to use a Microsoft Account as a type of digital passport to sign in and use games on another console. A key part of this sharing and cloud-powered Xbox Live is a new feature that Microsoft is calling Home Gold. Existing Xbox Live Gold members will be able to set up an Xbox One at home and anyone who uses the console will be able to access multiplayer gaming and the entertainment apps even if the main account holder is not signed in or at home. An Xbox One owner with an Xbox Live Gold subscription could also log in at a friend's house and everyone on that particular console would then be able to use multiplayer gaming and the entertainment apps while the Gold member is signed in. It sounds a little complicated, that's because it is, but in reality Microsoft is extending its Xbox Live Gold subscription so that you don't have to buy individual subscriptions for each family member.

Thank Post
    I've pre-ordered a PS4. The lower price and launch titles swung it for me though I'll likely buy an XBone in future at some point once there are a few more exclusive titles. Hopefully MS will have cut the price of it by then too.

It also worried me that myself and every single person I know who bought a launch day Xbox360 had it die and RROD on them within 18 months! To be fair MS replaced mine and it's been OK since but once bitten twice shy .....

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    And yet another 180. Microsoft are just spinning round in circles now, XBOX1080 anyone?

Xbox 180: Microsoft scraps mandatory Kinect policy

Thank Post
    Now Kinect isn't even needed they are basically asking people to pay an extra £80/$100 for their mistakes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Now Kinect isn't even needed they are basically asking people to pay an extra £80/$100 for their mistakes.
    This is for when they do a price drop.
    Probably be a cheaper Xbox but without the Kinect.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    And yet another 180. Microsoft are just spinning round in circles now, XBOX1080 anyone?

Xbox 180: Microsoft scraps mandatory Kinect policy

Surely thats a good thing though? They released some info, most people said not a chance, Microsoft changed it to what people want. Dont see where the problem is or how many 180 uturns they make as long as they keep making the right decision based on what we as gamers want.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefferzzzz View Post
    Surely thats a good thing though? They released some info, most people said not a chance, Microsoft changed it to what people want. Dont see where the problem is or how many 180 uturns they make as long as they keep making the right decision based on what we as gamers want.
    Its a good thing the base unit is now £80 more expensive than it needs to be and something the devs cannot rely being installed on every system?

There's nothing unique about it now, its just an expensive lower power PS4.

Thank Post
    Its a good thing the base unit is now £80 more expensive than it needs to be and something the devs cannot rely being installed on every system?

Agreed, but the fact that they at least in some part listening to 'the people' would indicate that they are going in the right direction?

I suspect i will probably end up buying both and then 6 months later getting rid of the one that doesn't make me feel as warm and fuzzy as the other.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That and it sounds like Microsoft had this idea, realised people didn't like it and now seem to be spinning in circles not sure what they are doing (one feature was already removed citing impossibility due to DRM removal then reinstated). Kind of applies to the whole company really in their current state, every product from Windows and Office down to the XBox division is coming across as confused, muddled and backtracked on.

The rate they are going, XBox360 and Windows 7 will be the company pinnacle. Gaming and corporate is Microsoft's last bastions where they shine (Office is still the de facto productivity suite and there is no comparison to Windows when it comes to gaming) but they appear to be getting muddled whilst reaching for mobile devices and the cloud.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries

No.... Dev's can presume you have one, if they want they can gracefully work around the issue and disable kinect functions/mode in game or if they want it as part of the experience they can request you turn it on again.
    The whole point is one is in the box so you can dev it knowing one is in the box and you can integrate it if it makes sense for the dev's story telling. At least Sony knows not to bother with they stupid eye and ball since all the games appear to hate the idea of cameras.... Btw Sony USA would have to comply with all USA laws/NSA too for those who actually believed the NSA were going to monitor you're houses....
    Still getting a Xbox One, its better for my family with Kinect, nothing really makes me want a ps3+ and Sony really lost a lot of exclusives. Kinect is amazing fun for kids where as the ps4 doesnt really have anything making me think it will be much more then the ps3 for kids.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 13th August 2013 at 11:56 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    No.... Dev's can presume you have one, if they want they can gracefully work around the issue and disable kinect functions/mode in game or if they want it as part of the experience they can request you turn it on again.
    The whole point is one is in the box so you can dev it knowing one is in the box and you can integrate it if it makes sense for the dev's story telling.
    Beforehand they said the Kinect was needed, even if its not used. This has changed. The only reason for the change is a cheaper kinect free xboxone next year, which means Devs now can't presume you'll have Kinect.

Just seen the new controllers still require AA batteries, so another £20 if you want the rechargeable pack!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    Just seen the new controllers still require AA batteries, so another £20 if you want the rechargeable pack!
    I wonder if the new packs will last longer than a month - I gave up buying them and stick to wired since the charge died in all 4 I bought within weeks. Absolute pieces of crap.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I wonder if the new packs will last longer than a month - I gave up buying them and stick to wired since the charge died in all 4 I bought within weeks. Absolute pieces of crap.
    At least its better than buying a new controller

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Beforehand they said the Kinect was needed, even if its not used. This has changed. The only reason for the change is a cheaper kinect free xboxone next year, which means Devs now can't presume you'll have Kinect.
    Pure guessing and illogical. As years go on it gets cheaper ANYWAY to produce. This I suspect us more to prevent launch issues and for those who were worried Microsoft/NSA actually wanted to monitor them. Sony fanboys would love it if they did as it's one of the biggest features over ps3+

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread