+ Post New Thread
Page 27 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Xbox One: Tomorrow's Announcement in Fun Stuff; Not really sure what the problem is. You have to have a Live/PSN account to play most console games nowadays ...

Thank Post
    Not really sure what the problem is. You have to have a Live/PSN account to play most console games nowadays as most games focus on online multiplayer. Yes it's seems like a con but it isn't actually going to affect many people.

IMO there's absolutely no point jumping to conclusions regarding XBO vs PS4 until they actually come out as both companies have moved the goal posts on multiple occasions already.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Not really sure what the problem is. You have to have a Live/PSN account to play most console games nowadays as most games focus on online multiplayer. Yes it's seems like a con but it isn't actually going to affect many people.
    PSN is free, so there's currently no paywall for 80m PS3s.

There's 46m live gold accounts, a huge amount dont pay for online.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    PSN is free, so there's currently no paywall for 80m PS3s.

There's 46m live gold accounts, a huge amount dont pay for online.
    We're talking about the ps4 so don't really see the relevance of mentioning ps3 total sales - and why not mention active psn members?

It's pretty pointless quoting te number of live players with the implication that the remaining 30m xboxs sold are all used by offline players. How many are ones people bought as replacements and more significantly how many are sat unused gathering dust? Going by my circle of friends this number will be much higher than you think - all of my close mates have consoles, only 3 actually use them, including me.

the real question is how many people who will use services such as Netflix don't have live? I stand by my statement that this will be a tiny number.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 8th August 2013 at 07:23 PM.

Thank Post
    We're talking about the ps4 so don't really see the relevance of mentioning ps3 total sales - and why not mention active psn members?

It's pretty pointless quoting te number of live players with the implication that the remaining 30m xboxs sold are all used by offline players. How many are ones people bought as replacements and more significantly how many are sat unused gathering dust? Going by my circle of friends this number will be much higher than you think - all of my close mates have consoles, only 3 actually use them, including me.

the real question is how many people who will use services such as Netflix don't have live? I stand by my statement that this will be a tiny number.
    Active PSN numbers are not published by Sony. PS3 is relevant because not many have PSN+, all online and online services are free.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Active PSN numbers are not published by Sony. PS3 is relevant because not many have PSN+, all online and online services are free.
    But they won't be free for the ps4 so wha... Oh forget it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,397 Times in 1,858 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see a problem with paying for online services. They cost money to provide, so it makes sense to charge for them.

40 a year for the service is reasonable imo.

Thank Post
    Pay to use a web browser, Skype and view Netflix content? That's a joke tbh - those are standard software features! On top of that you can pay for the privilege of having your YouTube etc vids tracked so they can "recommend" you videos (no doubt slanted towards whoever pays the most to MS in ad revenue)

FIFA14 will be out on PS3 so that'll be enough to keep me happy for another year, anything else will be played on PC as these next gen consoles are taking rip off to a whole new level. Dread to wonder what they'll do once a large enough user base has been established and people are locked into the platform.

Won't be going near the Xbone with a large bargepole, PS4 will wait and reserve judgement after it's been out for a while but not convinced by either tbh.

The sad thing is kids growing up with this will accept this kind of behaviour as the norm, makes the cult of Apple look like hippies in comparison
    Last edited by gshaw; 8th August 2013 at 10:29 PM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I have XBox Silver and I am a Netflix member. If I want to watch Netflix I can use an app on my tablet, my phone, my Wii-U or my PC for free. If I want to browse the net I can do that on my tablet, my phone, my Wii-U or my PC for free. YouTube? My tablet, my phone, my Wii-U or my PC for free. You can guess what devices I can play games online with....for free. End result: the XBox stays switched off.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 959 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have NetFlix and have never paid for a Gold account. End result: the PS3 is the only console that gets turned on these days (albeit only for Netflix... all my gaming is on PC these days )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    End result: the XBox stays switched off.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    End result: the PS3 is the only console that gets turned on these days (albeit only for Netflix... all my gaming is on PC these days )

Like I say, won't affect you... persumably you weren't going to folk out 400 on one of these consoles just to watch netflix? :P

And like I previously said, how many people own the current gen consoles but don't actually play them, thus making the quoting of total sales figures pointless when trying to figure out offline users.

Thank Post
    And like I previously said, how many people own the current gen consoles but don't actually play them, thus making the quoting of total sales figures pointless when trying to figure out offline users.
    Why say "it wont affect many people" when talking about paying for online services/games when you admit you have no idea.

I know quite a few people that have PS3/XBL that have them and dont play online. I could count the amount of people that I know that have consoles and pay for online services on two fingers and one of them is me (only started last month too) after nearly 7 years of last-gen gaming.

It may not affect you, but it is going to affect many, many people.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 959 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that, as the gaming audience matures (and has children), online gaming will become less and less central - at least in the existing incarnation of Live Gold etc.

I don't have the time to devote months to one game without missing out on dozens of other games (I probably manage 3 hours of gaming a week these days), and I absolutely cannot play a game that won't let me pause. Single player games that I can enjoy in half hour chunks are all I can play now.

We'll probably see new online models - like Journey, or more async multiplayer - but the services that pander to the hardcore won't suit everyone.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Like I say, won't affect you... persumably you weren't going to folk out 400 on one of these consoles just to watch netflix? :P

I would have considered buying one if MS rethought their current business model. I have had an XBox Gold subscription in the past and back in the days of the old Blade UI it was quite a good console. It was focused around games and I generally wasn't disturbed by adverts unless I went into the market.

Move forwards to today and a gold subscription means you continue to get bombarded by adverts on every UI screen. A pathetic avatar system appeared to extract more money from you with advertisiments for brands or games (digital branded clothing, seriously?). Market prices hiked up and payment was required to do anything with the console beyond playing a single-player game or watching iPlayer (and only because the BBC refused to allow payment under legal requirements for free access). A number of services are included with Gold for streaming music or video, but they are followed by "Additional subscription required."

I cancelled my XBox Live account because I didn't use the console a lot. The reason I didn't use it a lot was the service turned from a usable games system into an advertisement board demanding ever increasing sums of money from it's users. XBox One won't be any different except it now locks marketed console features behind the paywall, even though you've paid them hundreds of pounds they still don't care about you if you don't pay. PS4 I considered, but because it is no longer a free service I doubt it will be much different.

So the way it currently stands, my next-gen alliegance is currently remaining on PC with a Wii-U for first party titles where multiplayer is free making it perfect for me since I use consoles occasionally rendering their subscriptions pointless.

Thank Post
    People appear to be forgetting that the PS4 will come with a 40 a year subscription for some of it features, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    People appear to be forgetting that the PS4 will come with a 40 a year subscription for some of it features, you pays your money and you takes your choice.
    or just dont buy either ive seen no "killer app" for either just old game +1

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread