+ Post New Thread
Page 21 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Xbox One: Tomorrow's Announcement in Fun Stuff; I can't remember who posted it, but saw a tweet by someone at E3 who said was playing a game ...

Thank Post
    I can't remember who posted it, but saw a tweet by someone at E3 who said was playing a game on the Xbox One and it froze, then crashed to a Win 7 desktop!?! he also attached a pic of some guy in an MS t-shirt with his head in the cupboard under the screen which was indeed on a Win 7 desktop!

I'll see if I can find it...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 1,406 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    I prefer to own the things I buy.
    You don't own anything in your PC then, you are merely licenced to use it, this includes hardware, software, and peripherals. Short of having the deed to the item, you do not own anything.

Things which you can own

Car
    House
    Furniture

That pretty much sums up list of ownership these days. Modern day electricals and everything associated are essentially licenced if you read terms and conditions.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    problem for me is the children also like to play games and being able to push a button and play without all the other pc stuff is a must. Wish I had the cash for console and decent pc.
    PC games aren't really arcane mysteries anymore.

Granted, you get a few that have odd problems with certain hardware [I'm looking at you Tomb Raider...] Most of the time [OPINION ->] if it's buggy as hell, it's because the game is buggy as hell. [<- OPINION]

Plus, a lot of games have controller support.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    I can't remember who posted it, but saw a tweet by someone at E3 who said was playing a game on the Xbox One and it froze, then crashed to a Win 7 desktop!?! he also attached a pic of some guy in an MS t-shirt with his head in the cupboard under the screen which was indeed on a Win 7 desktop!

I saw that as well.

TBH, it didn't surprise me. Lots of companies have done it.

Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    You don't own anything in your PC then, you are merely licenced to use it, this includes hardware, software, and peripherals.
    Except, I CAN resell them to whoever I want. [This includes Steam games, I think. I can't remember if they changed it.]

Gotta love being in the EU for that.

Modern day electricals and everything associated are essentially licenced if you read terms and conditions.
    All because companies do things like Microsoft tried to do AND PEOPLE KEEP BUYING IT.

FFS.

I'm really getting fed up of this.
    Last edited by X-13; 20th June 2013 at 09:27 AM.

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    You don't own anything in your PC then, you are merely licenced to use it, this includes hardware, software, and peripherals. Short of having the deed to the item, you do not own anything.

Things which you can own

Car
    House
    Furniture

That pretty much sums up list of ownership these days. Modern day electricals and everything associated are essentially licenced if you read terms and conditions.
    Daaaayyyyymmmm... you just opened the portal of hell in @X-13

@Rawns I'm not sure what's happening to me! People are agreeing with me left right and center. It's an....odd yet stabilizing sensation.
    Last edited by Sunnyknight; 20th June 2013 at 09:33 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    It's an....odd yet stabilizing sensation.
    So, you're usually unstable?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post

Attachment 18761

Apparently, they're Dev kits.

Thank Post
    That's the fella'.

Wonder if the game being demoed was a Xbox One exclusive game then...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 1,406 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13
    Except, I CAN resell them to whoever I want. [This includes Steam games, I think. I can't remember if they changed it.]

Gotta love being in the EU for that.
    Nope. steam games cannot be sold, unless you do not use them, at all, and never have them in your library. Terms and Conditions strike again.

Quote Originally Posted by X-13
    All because companies do things like Microsoft tried to do AND PEOPLE KEEP BUYING IT.
    This one is more from consumer electronics companies rather than software companies. If you "purchased" a tv 30 years ago, you didn't own it then, just as much you don't own it now. You only have the licence to it, which does allow you to sell it, but again, you do not own it. Software companies followed suit shortly after.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Apparently those kits used a graphics card that is more expensive then the console itself. And some were running PC native code under an XBox One guise. Conclusion: Nothing can be trusted from those game demos as they were on over-specced hardware, PC ports or both.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This one is more from consumer electronics companies rather than software companies. If you "purchased" a tv 30 years ago, you didn't own it then, just as much you don't own it now. You only have the licence to it, which does allow you to sell it, but again, you do not own it. Software companies followed suit shortly after.
    Maybe I'm just remembering the good companies...

IIRC, Nintendo used to be all "wha'eva" about modded consoles. All they'd say was something along the lines of "we don't support modded consoles, if it breaks it's on you."

Now we've got Microsoft trying to all but destroy your entire library of games [well, Xbone games] if you don't follow their rules. [Same with steam...]

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,665 Times in 1,964 Posts
    The Internet Just Made Microsoft Kill a Car for a Faster Horse

The root reason why Microsoft had to back down on their changes and make things stick with the way they are, it’s because they did a horrible job selling their new features and what they could have meant for the consumer.

What they should have done is said that they've made the Xbox One an entirely digital experience, where people can purchase games directly from Microsoft on day 1 without having to wait in line, preorder or deal with physical discs. They should have said that they're still going to make physical discs available for people who don’t have the appropriate bandwidth to download 50GB games, but that their focus is on digital. They should have said that because their focus is digital, all these features listed above are like Steam, but better. But instead they focused too much on the physical discs and lost people along the way.

But that doesn’t matter now. It’s apparent that the backlash, whether founded or unfounded, was too much for Microsoft to bear, and they backed down and not only removed these so called “restrictions,” but they removed a whole lot of incredible features as well. All thanks to people complaining on the internet.
    To remind you of some of the “scenarios [they] previously announced”, here’s a short list of the relevant features.

• If you purchased a physical disc game, your game was tied to your account and you could go to any other Xbox One and be able to have access to your entire library without carrying physical discs around
    • You could re-sell your physical disc game to Gamestop or any participating outlet that opted into Microsoft’s revenue sharing system
    • You could buy a used physical disc game from a participating retailer and play it like a new game
    • You could install all your games onto your hard drive and not have to get up all the time to swap discs
    • You could buy a digital copy and sell it or gift it to a friend (a previously unheard-of policy in digital games)
    • You could potentially share your entire library with 10 friends/family members, with the only limitation being that you couldn't play the same game at once

These were fantastic new features that were only available because Microsoft had the very reasonable expectation that you authenticate once a day to make sure you owned the game and didn’t just dump your entire library to someone and they were able to play all your games forever. Well, all of those features are gone now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Now we've got Microsoft trying to all but destroy your entire library of games [well, Xbone games] if you don't follow their rules. [Same with steam...]
    I don't understand how Steam are destroying your library? Personally, I think Steam has only improved PC gaming with instant access, faster delivery and lower prices.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To remind you of some of the “scenarios [they] previously announced”, here’s a short list of the relevant features.

• If you purchased a physical disc game, your game was tied to your account and you could go to any other Xbox One and be able to have access to your entire library without carrying physical discs around
    • You could re-sell your physical disc game to Gamestop or any participating outlet that opted into Microsoft’s revenue sharing system
    • You could buy a used physical disc game from a participating retailer and play it like a new game
    • You could install all your games onto your hard drive and not have to get up all the time to swap discs
    • You could buy a digital copy and sell it or gift it to a friend (a previously unheard-of policy in digital games)
    • You could potentially share your entire library with 10 friends/family members, with the only limitation being that you couldn't play the same game at once

1) Stop being lazy
    2) You could do that already. [And not just at "participating retailers"]
    3) See #2
    4) See #1
    5) Microsoft didn't have to strip that out. They just had a tantrum and took EVERYTHING [They'll add it back in when they do another U-turn.]
    6) #1 mixed with #2. [Just share the disks.]

It would have taken the exact same amount of effort to make the patch "if offline, require disk" instead of President Madagascar-ing the [censored] out of the features.

Thank Post
    i could of lived with the drm if the cost of games came down accordingly but it wouldnt of xbox games and ps4 would of cost exactly the same which negates a lot of the drm arguments (at least in theory drm stops or reduces copying meaning you can sell cheaper as you dont need to factor in as many dodgy versions so in theory say fifa 25(or whatever number it is) should of been cheaper for the xbox than the ps4 but we all know that wouldnt happen)

assuming the prices on amazon are correct for ps4/xbox games at around £60 thats the reason i wont be buying either

Thank Post
    Do you know how many times I have had to buy a new disk because the kids have scratched them. This would have saved me loads.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread