I like the return of pre-owned games and game rentals but in the process we have lost three things
1. game sharing which would have meant if I listed you as my family we could have played each other's games for free.
2. Playing games without needing the disk in the console. Which interrupts the seamless flow from one game to another. Now you are going to have to get off the sofa to change disk, but at least the always on Kinect will be able to measure the carlories burned while you do this.
3. By removing pre-owned DRM it has removed a strong source of continued revenue for the publisher. Which in the long term could have meant i. More money sunk into games and game development with publishers taking risks so more interesting games, rather than 'People like first person shooters let's write another one of those' ii.a Steam for consoles and much cheaper games.
I always said there's nothing inherintly wrong with DRM if it's handled correctly. MS have made a complete pigs ear out of the entire situation! I take it the DRM as gone from download games as well as disc games? They should have kept it in tact for download purchases and only required the disc in the drive for disc purchases. Oh well.
It was a generation too soon, and their handling of it may have buggered their chances at getting right next time as well. PS4 is still £80 cheaper with more usable RAM and a faster GPU...
The cynic in my thinks this was all an elaborate, incredibly risky, marketing ploy...
1) Announce something nobody likes
2) Do a U-turn and look like the good guys
I don't think there was anything wrong with their original plan. They needed to tweak it a little but it was sound. Their problem was poor marketing. The entire marketing campaign so far has been a shambles.
I don't think this is a marketing ploy. There is going to be a day one patch to disable alot of the features on the Xbox One (Link). Personally I'm disappointed but it may have been too much, too soon.
Last edited by Ghostgame; 20th June 2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Read back and went what??
You can all shoot me down but I would have liked a steam esk xbox with drm. I imagine at some point I would be able to buy second hand games directly in the xbox menu etc.
Xbox one > Bin
Ps4 > Bin
Pc > Heaven.
Sunnyknight, another opinion of yours I agree with!!!
Last edited by Rawns; 20th June 2013 at 10:13 AM.
problem for me is the children also like to play games and being able to push a button and play without all the other pc stuff is a must. Wish I had the cash for console and decent pc.Xbox one > Bin
Ps4 > Bin
Pc > Heaven.
I think I'll be buying the first 2-3 games on PS4 on disc - just because. But after that I think I'll go over to full download only since everything will be available day one anyway and I have the net connection for it . For the most part I'll probably wait for the discounts or budget release rather than buy day one, or hope Sony give it away with PS+ in the future - depending on the game.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)