+ Post New Thread
Page 19 of 54 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Xbox One: Tomorrow's Announcement in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by tmcd35 Alas, it's time to face it - if you want play games, regardless of platform, you ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Alas, it's time to face it - if you want play games, regardless of platform, you need to be shouting at your ISP to improve your Internet connections
    Oh, I CAN get a better connection... If I pay A LOT more money.

I have to pay more, so I can be charged more to download a game [that I can't return or resell if it's bad] all because some game company wants more money.

The gaming industry can [censored] off. And once they've done that, they can [censored] off some more, until they're back where they started. Then they can [censored] off again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    I've heard a lot of people saying the PS is much more powerful than the xbox. Have I missed something? Apart from the different ram I can't seem to find any info on this. Anyone know?
    PS4 vs Xbox One comparison
    Last edited by JJonas; 14th June 2013 at 09:21 AM.

Thank Post
    I'm a big fan of digital delivery be it subscriptions for music, Steam for Games, iPad/Kindle for e-books etc etc. One plus side I've found is that given time, certain physical copies will become useless and the item you have physically paid for won't work (BetaMax, Tape, Minidisc, VHS, 3.5" floppy, etc). Either the hardware has changed or the media has so it won't work either way. You may have a favourite item that will no longer work rendering it obsolete. Looking at steam for example, there are some classic retro games that have been re-worked for modern day rigs and they just work. If you had the same game on 4-5 floppy disks, chances are it would not work correctly unless 1) you still have a floppy disk, and 2) you'd likely have to create a separate environment (like a DOS VM) to load it into.

Also there is the green aspect. Digital delivery (I assume) is significantly more environmentaly friendly.

Not to mention space saving!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    The gaming industry can [censored] off. And once they've done that, they can [censored] off some more, until they're back where they started. Then they can [censored] off again.
    Ah, the painful sound of progress

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    I'm a big fan of digital delivery be it subscriptions for music, Steam for Games, iPad/Kindle for e-books etc etc. One plus side I've found is that given time, certain physical copies will become useless and the item you have physically paid for won't work (BetaMax, Tape, Minidisc, VHS, 3.5" floppy, etc). Either the hardware has changed or the media has so it won't work either way. You may have a favourite item that will no longer work rendering it obsolete. Looking at steam for example, there are some classic retro games that have been re-worked for modern day rigs and they just work. If you had the same game on 4-5 floppy disks, chances are it would not work correctly unless 1) you still have a floppy disk, and 2) you'd likely have to create a separate environment (like a DOS VM) to load it into.
    For the most part, this is a copyright issue. [Just format shift.]

I have games that work perfectly fine on newer systems, I also have other that will barely run [don't even think about trying to play... it'll crash.]

Paying full price for a game you've already paid for is stupid. The Vita did this pretty well... in Japan. Any PSP game you own that is on PSN, you can get for REALLY cheap. All you're paying for [pretty much] is optimisation and support.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Also there is the green aspect. Digital delivery (I assume) is significantly more environmentaly friendly.
    I don't know... All the infrastructure has to have a big impact. All these servers are using power that I doubt is produced in the most enviromentally friendly manner.

Ah, the painful sound of progress
    If this is progress, I'm happy to be behind-the-times.

Back in my day, you had to walk to the store to get games! In 500 feet of snow! On your hands!
    Last edited by X-13; 14th June 2013 at 09:35 AM.

Thank Post
    Was in Game the other day and noticed the the "PC Games" section had been expanded from an End Rack to a full length of 3 shelves!
    (Still pitiful compared to the entire walls dedicated to PS and XBox games..._

I like Steam, but also like them on CD/DVD - though that's probably the old Speccy/C64 side of me where everything was on tape and the "thrilll" of waiting for them to install without a "Tape Error"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Back in my day, you had to walk to the store to get games! In 500 feet of snow! On your hands!
    Those where the days (my friend). Only game outlet was a market stall in the next town 10 miles away. New games from the likes of Ocean and Codemasters cost a poultry £3.99. We complained loudly at companies trying to rip us off with "full price games" at £9.99. Then there was those 5 minutes of funky techno loading music (okay high pitch screeches, it's all the same to me) while the computer drew a loading picture on the screen one line at a time. Then, if you where really lucky and the tape volume was set correctly and you hadn't suffered an epileptic fit from the flashing borders, you could play your new game

Where did those days go?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Was in Game the other day and noticed the the "PC Games" section had been expanded from an End Rack to a full length of 3 shelves!
    (Still pitiful compared to the entire walls dedicated to PS and XBox games..._
    I wonder how many of these stores are going to be promoting XBox from now one, and dedicating large amounts of shelf space to it's games? I suppose you know the ones who've got in to bed with MS and are "official secondhand resellers" by the size of their displays.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wonder how many of these stores are going to be promoting XBox from now one I wonder how many of these stores are going to be promoting XBox from now one, and dedicating large amounts of shelf space to it's games?
    Places like Game [the proper old Game stores, not rebranded Gamestation] probably will. From my experience they don't know anything about games, so they'll see "Xbox" and think "that's what the kids want".

Like how they push CoD. [I'm buying BATMAN, stop trying to sell me CoD.]

Also, re:bolded. I see your stealth advertising.

Side-note: I just told out deputy head not to buy her kids the new Xbox. When I told her about the "has to connect every 24 hours" she literally facepalmed.

Thank Post
    drm is only inevitable if we let it be. I can cope with kindle level drm that just works and dosent get in the way (basicly as long as i have the device registered to my amazon account it works for ever more) Stuff like sim city as much as id like to play it i wont cough up for that level of inconvenience it would be a great game to play on my win 8 tablet in the odd 5 mins when im eating dinner or waiting for something to finish etc but always on drm kills that.

as to internet connections its not the isp to blame a lot of the time its the physical providers. Virgin havnt as far as i can tell laid any significant new cable since the 90s openreach have a silly fibre deployment plan that seems to be lets upgrade people with decent speed connections first and people with poor broadband who would chew their arm of to get the service they ignore (so round me they did one cab (not mine) and they needed more fibre cards within about 2 weeks of it going live round my parents they have 5+mb connections and for most people thats enough iplayer works downloads dont take weeks it will do)

digital downloads just dont work even something as simple as my sat nav wanted an update it took 9 hours that was 3gb iirc i hate to think how long something like forza5 (thats shipped on a 40gb blueray iirc) would take

as ive said looking at the 2 new consoles i just cant see a reason to buy either there is no real killer app yes id like forza 5 butr am i willing to put up with drm and a £420 console to get it probably not esp if games do cost £60. Surely if you have drm piracy is so much less so you dont need to make as much per copy so you can sell them cheaper as you lose less to pirates? £40 now is to much so i think njow is the time to give up gaming for anything more complex than tapped out/mah-jong/freecell until they sort themselves out

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am going to Game this weekend, to trade in a tonne of my games (some not listed on here as know they'll give me a better price than I could sell for). Game in Luton, has a wall dedicated to games purchases, but instead of getting the physical game with most of them, you get a steam code or an origin code. Yup, that is what you get.

Distributors are pushing this also, when I asked for a physical disk, I was told the store had none, and they only have the steam/origin codes to give. For me, this works. I don't mind, and the fact that almost all of the games I play I can pick up on steam for pennies, bonus. I install them as I please, and play them as I please. Win Win for me

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    yep about time

Your Feedback Matters

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games
    Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    DRM u-turn
    The game sharing feature was one of the best things about the Xbox One.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.
    Having to have the disc present in the drive before you can play is what PC gaming was like before Steam came along a decade ago. With consoles you can't even download 'NoCD' patches!
    Last edited by Arthur; 19th June 2013 at 10:25 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread