+ Post New Thread
Page 18 of 54 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Xbox One: Tomorrow's Announcement in Fun Stuff; If Xbox One was a girl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PahRbLNuhR8 NSFW...

Thank Post
    If Xbox One was a girl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PahRbLNuhR8

NSFW

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Interesting indeed, if Xbone is going to lead to cheaper games then they are failing to get that message out there, as I have seen several places stating that the next generation game prices are going to be £60+

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,960 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Interesting indeed, if Xbone is going to lead to cheaper games then they are failing to get that message out there, as I have seen several places stating that the next generation game prices are going to be £60+
    The games won't be cheaper. All the DRM is because publishers want MOAR MONIEZ!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I can't see them pricing one platform cheaper then the other. The only reason some (not all, just some) PC games are cheaper then console because it is a whole different world. But when you go to the Origin store, EA are charging eye-watering prices for older titles, let alone new releases so the whole story about Steam making it cheaper with no pre-owned doesn't fly. Also a good time to reference some of the absurd fees that F2P titles rack up (Neverwinter Online...£25 for a horse mount? Good god...).

XBL and PSN are captive audiences when it comes to digital distribution and I cannot see a third-party like EA allowing it to be sold cheaper on one platform than another. Their distribution agreements will likely demand the same RRP over both platforms and going cheaper for one platform will anger the other. Net result, both platforms must be cheaper but instead you will likely see high prices for both (since MS claim they can keep costs down but Sony can't which means no price drop if they have to match RRP).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    That's a great read and the guy is pretty much spot on in my opinion. I said this before recently, I think just after seeing their E3 event, MS have released this console a generation too soon. Not in terms of hardware spec (which is probably too late) but in terms of DRM. They should have gone for a slightly more consumer focused softer approach this time out, perhaps ramping the the online (not disc) DRM feature up over the course of this generation and then come out with this for the XBox Two(?).

I think this is the game Sony are playing as digital distribution is clearly the future in console gaming and both are pushing heavily for it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    digital distribution is clearly the future
    Why? Are people that [censored] lazy that they can't get off the couch and go to a shop? Are they that lazy that changing disks if a massive problem?

Why are people happy to pay FOR NOTHING?

FFS.[/RantLite]
    Last edited by X-13; 14th June 2013 at 08:27 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @X-13: YES! Which is why services such as LoveFilm and NetFlix and iTunes and Spotify have taken off. It's how supermarkets killed the high street. It's called convenience.

If I've got a good enough Internet connection (which I have) and the game is available for immediate download and play right now. Why do I want to get in my car, find a parking space, and hope the retailer has a copy in stock? And then drive half way around East Anglia when they haven't just to find a copy on disc? Or wait 3-5days for Amazon to deliver?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @X-13: YES! Which is why services such as LoveFilm and NetFlix and iTunes and Spotify have taken off.
    Of those 4, 3 of them are streaming [renting] not buying.

And [censored] iTunes.

If I've got a good enough Internet connection (which I have) and the game is available for immediate download and play right now. Why do I want to get in my car, find a parking space, and hope the retailer has a copy in stock? And then drive half way around East Anglia when they haven't just to find a copy on disc? Or wait 3-5days for Amazon to deliver?
    YOU may have a good internet connection, but not everyone does. And so what if you have to wait? Waiting a few days for a game isn't going to kill you.

Also, as for going to stores only to find they don't have a copy... There's this new technology, called a phone. It enables you to talk to someone who works in a shop and ask them questions, like "do you have this in stock?"

Le EDIT: It's nothing personal... I just think Digital only in [censored] retarded. My jimmies are well and truly rustled.
    Last edited by X-13; 14th June 2013 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Too much rage... Can't spell.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ^ Lol, yes I have a good internet connection - not everyone does. That's why I said it's a generation too soon. You're are right, waiting won't kill me. But why wait if I don't have to? This is where Sony are playing this generation right. They are ramping up digital for those who can and want to without castrating physical media for the rest - Microsoft

Edit: while I don't think the future of gaming is streaming - I do think the all you can eat subscription model will become more prevalent once digital takes off.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 14th June 2013 at 09:02 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I can't see them pricing one platform cheaper then the other. The only reason some (not all, just some) PC games are cheaper then console because it is a whole different world. But when you go to the Origin store, EA are charging eye-watering prices for older titles, let alone new releases so the whole story about Steam making it cheaper with no pre-owned doesn't fly. Also a good time to reference some of the absurd fees that F2P titles rack up (Neverwinter Online...£25 for a horse mount? Good god...).
    One of the reasons I've wiped my hands of all EA products, especially Battlefield 4.

And to semi-quote @X-13, [censored] Origin.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ^ Lol, yes I have a good internet connection - not everyone does. That's why I said it's a generation too soon. You're are right, waiting won't kill me. But why wait if I don't have to? This is where Sony are playing this generation right. They are ramping up digital for those who can and want to without castrating physical media for the rest - Microsoft
    That's the thing though, they're pushing and pushing and making it unnecessarily harder to get retail copies.

Like Capcom...

1) Make game
    2) Produce small amount of retail copies [which quickly sells out]
    3) Refuse to make more
    4) Claim it isn't popular
    5) Annoy fans

They do this consistantly with the Phoenix Wright games and now they're digital only... In the west. But not Japan, oh no. THEY get retail copies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    I don't know how Origin has changed, but the retail copy of Alice I got the other day was fine.

I didn't have to install the client [unlike Steam] and all the data was on the disk [unlike steam games I have] plus a bit extra because EA are idiots.

For this game specifically, Origin > Steam.
    Last edited by X-13; 14th June 2013 at 09:08 AM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    One of the reasons I've wiped my hands of all EA products, especially Battlefield 4.

The funny part is they claim they are a viable rival to Steam with "millions of gamers" using the service. They don't realize that price gouging isn't a way to be a viable rival and the "millions of gamers" are only on Origin because every new game is tied to it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    The funny part is they claim they are a viable rival to Steam with "millions of gamers" using the service. They don't realize that price gouging isn't a way to be a viable rival and the "millions of gamers" are only on Origin because every new game is tied to it.
    I'm tempted to make a EA = Nazis, millions use it therefore it's good, comment... But, no. I'm sure you can get what I was thinking though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    That's the thing though, they're pushing and pushing and making it unnecessarily harder to get retail copies.
    Yes, but unfortunately digital is in the publishers interest. Physical distribution costs money. How greedy the individual publishers are will dictate long term whether we, the consumer, see any cost benefits from digital distro, but the publishers certainly will. So they will push for it.

Alas, it's time to face it - if you want play games, regardless of platform, you need to be shouting at your ISP to improve your Internet connections

Thank Post
    I've heard a lot of people saying the PS is much more powerful than the xbox. Have I missed something? Apart from the different ram I can't seem to find any info on this. Anyone know?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread