+ Post New Thread
Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Xbox One: Tomorrow's Announcement in Fun Stuff; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,388 Times in 1,768 Posts

Thank Post
    Ok, Microsoft have just answered a bunch of questions around Xbox One.
    Link is here.

Big points:

-Xbox needs be connected to the internet once every 24hrs if you want to play games, even single player only games.
    -You can turn the Kinect off or even customise what it sees and does.
    -You can have used games but that depends on the permission of the publisher whether that game can become a used game.
    -Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One.

Seems to be more bad news than good here unfortunately.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostgame View Post
    Link is here.

Big points:

-Xbox needs be connected to the internet once every 24hrs if you want to play games, even single player only games.
    -You can have used games but that depends on the permission of the publisher whether that game can become a used game.
    -Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One.

I see three reasons there which would deter me from getting one.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefferzzzz View Post
    I see three reasons there which would deter me from getting one.
    Yeah, even I am starting to look at this and think the PS4 is looking a bit more attractive

Still going to wait till E3 before I make my mind up. Details on the PS4 are still vague

Thank Post
    This little gem too

• A new generation of games with power from the cloud: Because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection,

Pretty big asumption. I guess people who just want to play games without having to be online will be staying with 360 or going PS4 then!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You'd think they would learn from SimCity that gaming isn't yet ready for the cloud. Yeah you have MMORPGs and online multiplayer, but there is a reason cloud gaming has yet to take off and all the answers are in SimCity's terrible launch and subsequent lies to consumers about how much processing power was held in the cloud.

Point three about used games may as well be thrown out the window too as I can't see EA or Activision allowing used games and going straight for price gouging. To hell with next-gen gaming.

Thank Post
    'Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners.'

No more being able to rent a game to see if its worth bothering to waste 40-50 then........at least initially.

The whole thing stinks of MS trying to get as far up publishers @rse' as possible to try and convince them to devote most of their resources to Xbox dev rather than PS dev.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi ho, hi ho, back to PC I go

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The whole thing stinks of MS trying to get as far up publishers @rse' as possible to try and convince them to devote most of their resources to Xbox dev rather than PS dev.
    It's also worth remembering that in some/a lot/all cases, developers are cool with you lending/borrowing games and buying pre-owned. They're in the industry to make good games.

It's the publishers that don't like it.

Thank Post
    'Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners.'

No more being able to rent a game to see if its worth bothering to waste 40-50 then........at least initially.

im ok with that IF every game has a demo to download

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    The only issue I have with that is that the demos tend to be so restricted its impossible to get a good feel for the game.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Big points:

Its all meh, not a big deal tbh.
    It would be nice if it was 7 days instead of 24 hours though at least for major disruptions.
    The whole kinect spycam thing was blown WAY out of proportion as well, I think being able to turn tv etc on via voice would be very cool indeed and the 10 members gets around family console limits.
    Second hand games are already being borked, this happening across the board and on all consoles via one time activation keys etc inside the box, this is not an MS trend but at least we have a chance a sticker will make it clear on the back what your rights are if you buy the game unlike the sneaky content unlocks etc. People say MS are wrong for putting a free (they charge nothing directly) way to lend games and trades games if the dev's let you as that would encourage dev's to lock you out, I hope/think it will be the opposite. Knowing you dont have to screw the end consumer via unlock codes etc when they resell but instead you can allow rights to be lent as well as resold all while you take a % of secondary sales if you want too.
    I would much rather have the MS way then the PS4 unlock code way where you have no idea each time you buy the game if/how much the copy is worth.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 7th June 2013 at 12:56 PM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    But EU law has already clarified that companies can stamp their feet as much as they want, you have the right to sell a physical copy on. If you have a disk for a game then you have the right to sell that game on to someone else, who in turn has the right to sell it on ad inifnitum.

Games companies across the EU are violating this law though and outright ignoring it if this is anything to go by.

Thank Post
    Link is here.

Big points:

Not everyone has internet or reliable internet, so no point getting an xbone in those countries/areas with dodgy connections. My net has been off for 3 days before, no games anymore.

My TV is the opposite end of the room to my consoles/sat and with propitiatory connections this simply wont reach AND pull up flooring. Kinect will also push the price of the console unit up, it'll be interesting to see how much.

The 300,000 used CoD games will now be useless, because the big publishers that cash in each year with the same repetitive gameplay wont allow it. I've not had any issue with secondhand games on the current system, or at least I've not brought a secondhand game that required some kind of code, they have all just worked. MS/Sony take 10 per game for licencing, so secondhand games should be cheaper if they are not taking a cut. I bet the drop in price wont be by much and I guarantee they'll fix pricing between them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread