+ Post New Thread
Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Xbox One: Tomorrow's Announcement in Fun Stuff; Attachment 18369 Attachment 18368 Also, this is pretty much how I heard the reveal....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Attachment 18369

Attachment 18368

Also, this is pretty much how I heard the reveal.

Last edited by X-13; 23rd May 2013 at 08:31 PM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just posted that video two posts ago! :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 852 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's some written swears in this gif, so bear in mind that you may need to switch tabs quickly if someone walks in behind you

Rehosted on my SkyDrive as the original URL would get filtered for most here, and it's a 6.5mb GIF so won't upload here: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...E4C47C55CE!284 (you need to right click and View Original for the animation to work, stupid SkyDrive)
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 24th May 2013 at 08:21 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Just posted that video two posts ago! :P
    I didnae see it...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Rehosted on my SkyDrive as the original URL would get filtered for most here, and it's a 6.5mb GIF so won't upload here: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...E4C47C55CE!284 (you need to right click and View Original for the animation to work, stupid SkyDrive)
    Saw that over on the Playstation forums this morning - quality! Well worth the watch.

Love the line "You can still get a PC....or a PS4....or even a Wii-U!" - classic!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts
    I wonder who's right?

EA: Xbox One and PS4 a generation ahead of PC « Develop

Publisher benchmarks video and audio performance of new Xbox at eight-to-10 times higher than current gen

The Xbox One and PS4 are a generation ahead of the highest-end PCs currently available on the market, says EA’s chief technology officer.

Taking to LinkedIn, Rajat Taneja said the design of the hardware, the underlying operating systems and live service layers had created “one of the most compelling platforms to reimagine game mechanics”.

He claimed that the publisher’s benchmark tests rated the audio and video performance of the Xbox One at eight-to-ten times higher than the Xbox 360.

“Both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 have adopted electronics and an integrated systems-on-a -chip (soc) architecture that unleashes magnitudes more compute and graphics power than the current generation of consoles,” said Taneja.

“These architectures are a generation ahead of the highest end PC on the market and their unique design of the hardware, the underlying operating system and the live service layer create one of the most compelling platforms to reimagine game mechanics. Our benchmarks on just the video and audio performance are 8-10 times superior to the current gen.

“The compute capabilities of these platforms and the data transfer speeds we can now bank on, essentially removes any notion of rationing of systems resources for our game engines.”

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts
    Xbox One games will require internet 'spot checks', but Microsoft won't charge to authenticate used games « The Verge

Does the Xbox One actually require an internet connection? Will used game buyers or sellers have to pay an extra fee? Microsoft hasn't made it clear, but a report at Polygon now claims that the answers are "yes" and "no" respectively. According to the publication's sources, Xbox One games will phone home to Microsoft servers on a regular basis to verify that their users own the games. If you buy a used title, however, Polygon claims that you won't have to pay Microsoft for a fresh license to the game.

Simply popping in the game disc and installing it will reportedly establish lawful ownership as far as Microsoft's servers are concerned. When you install the game on your Xbox One, you'll be deauthenticating it on the previous owner's account, according to Polygon.

Thank Post
    I can see there being a QR type code printed on a card that you hold up to the Kinect to register your game, which at the same time would de-register it from the other persons account.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I wonder who's right?
    As always I think the truth is somewhere in between, lol. I seriously think their are aspects of the PS4 design in particular that are ahead of what is possible with current PC's. On the other hand, it's nothing that a bit of cash couldn't brute force it's way out off with higher end CPU and GPU's.

I think the unified RAM of both systems, but more especially the PS4, is something PC's could struggle to compete against until AMD release their new APU's next year. Likewise is the the PS4's ability to run graphics and GPGPU calculations in parallel where PC's have to task switch between the two.

I'm actually seriously impressed with the PS4 from a pure design point of view, hats of to Mark Carney (systems architect at Sony) for that one!
    Last edited by tmcd35; 25th May 2013 at 09:46 AM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Depends where we are in a few years though. Being more powerful now is in the PS4's favour but PC technology moves on fast and they can be upgraded easily.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Depends where we are in a few years though. Being more powerful now is in the PS4's favour but PC technology moves on fast and they can be upgraded easily.
    well yes but a video card for a pc can cost more than a xbox 1 or ps4

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 852 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only advantage the PS4 has right now is the gobs of (potential) video RAM available to it - the unified memory architecture does look excellent. However... you can already get video cards with 6GB of RAM on them. 2-3GB is becoming standard. System RAM is dirt cheap. I can't see the PC ever going to a unified architecture as the only way to effectively do it is with an APU (due to latency between add-in boards) and who wants a PC where you can't upgrade the CPU and GPU separately? It'll just stick more RAM on the GPU and more in the system until it has at least 8GB available to both

The Xbox One can't match a PC as it's only using DDR3. Rubbish.

It's worth pointing out that the AMD APUs are out now - reviews are up everywhere. The integrated GPU of these APUs is far below what's in the consoles, and I don't expect we'll ever see those console chips released as a component, but you can get an idea of CPU performance now. (Hint: not great. They're essentially super-Atoms.)

The PS4 and Xbox One will keep up for a couple of years due to bare-metal coding and optimisation for the specific architectures, but that will only take them so far. I'm not even sure the XBox can be coded to bare metal with its weird Hyper-V architecture. The PC will outpace this generation faster than ever before, I think.

Thank Post
    Steam stats are interesting, the most common PC with Steam (mostly gamers) is:

2 CPU
    8GB ram
    1GB of video ram

PCs are unique in the fact they offer both the best graphics and the worst graphics on a game compared to consoles, dependent on the age of the system and the amount you want to spend. Sure you can get PCs that'll far outpace console now (I have a 7970 + overclocked i5) but the amount of people you can sell this game quality to is quite limited. Black Ops 2 for instance sold 10.5m on consoles in the first week, 0.5m on PC. In terms of sales, the bread and butter, consoles are still king, the PC is great for advertising your product for all systems and to the people that can afford it, so it does make sense to port games to PC for multiple reasons.

Most games from EA, Activision and Ubisoft will look the similar on all systems. They will use the same company engines, same animation systems, same lighting and ease of porting between them will be preferred over massive optimisation. The xboxone will do well because of this "hold back" or consistent use of technology. Exclusives are where the systems get to really shine, something Sony has sewn up on big titles and should try to compete with Steam on indie titles if they want a grip on the console scene.

With BRd now standard in consoles we'll see a consistent upgrade in content size. Rockstar mention a few years ago DVD was limiting them on 360. Tessellation, volumetric lighting and texture resolution will be the other big jumps. Texture resolution is where the PS4 should be able to keep pace with the above average PC (not top end because 3 titans is silly).

Looking forward to E3.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Cant see at all how it can use this for graphic or ai improvements. Latency would kill its use for 'live' gaming use.

I can totally see how they can use it for MMOs, EA games (see Sim City DRM) and big muti-player environments where the internet is genuinely required 100% of the time because of interaction with other players, persistent worlds and the processing of this information. Lots of dedicated virtual servers. This seems more logical, a hosted service available independent of the consoles for devs to use if they wish. Question is, what are Activision, EA and Ubisoft going to do on x-platform games to provide the same service?

Great bit of spin at trying to make it look like the system has more power though.

A little more balance here:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...ansform-gaming
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 28th May 2013 at 03:02 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread