+ Post New Thread
Page 13 of 54 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Xbox One: Tomorrow's Announcement in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by Bezza49 And I'd like to buy games that are a bit older, pre-owned maybe...but no, MS won't ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,116 Times in 1,452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezza49 View Post
    And I'd like to buy games that are a bit older, pre-owned maybe...but no, MS won't be allowing that without an additional charge. A "reinstatement fee" if you will.
    You're thinking too soon. [It'll make sense in a minute.]

At some point in the game cycle, there won't be ANY new copies or a particular game. Which means your only ways to play a good, old game is second-hand. [Or full launch-day RRP for a digital version... but [censored] that.]

There's also the point, far in the future, where the console itself isn't made... Microsoft will be demanding money to play a second-hand game you can't buy new, on a console they don't even make anymore... which won't work without being hacked because the authentication servers are offline.

Like I said. Full retard.
    Last edited by X-13; 22nd May 2013 at 12:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    At some point in the game cycle, there won't be ANY new copies or a particular game. Which means your only ways to play a good, old game is second-hand. [Or full launch-day RRP for a digital version... but [censored] that.]
    Another interesting question there. It appears both MS and Sony are pushing for day 1 download availability for all titles. So given there will be digital versions in the cloud, at what point will they start discounting? Will they stay full launch-day RRP for ever, or enter into a discount budget/platinum/classics range? At the point in the game cycle your talking about surely they'd start discounting online anyway?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The only interesting thing about the xbox is that Dave Cutler (the father/architect of the WinNT Kernel and the Azure Hypervisor fabric) has been working on it for the last couple of years.
    /notreallyintoconsoles.
    Last edited by psydii; 22nd May 2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: i can't spell.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    At the point in the game cycle your talking about surely they'd start discounting online anyway?
    I can't check properly, but I think Sony are charging full day one rrp on psp games for the vita.

Psx games are cheap though. Ffvii is, iirc, about £8

Nintendo charge full physical rrp for digital versions on the 3ds.

Thank Post
    Another interesting question there. It appears both MS and Sony are pushing for day 1 download availability for all titles. So given there will be digital versions in the cloud, at what point will they start discounting? Will they stay full launch-day RRP for ever, or enter into a discount budget/platinum/classics range? At the point in the game cycle your talking about surely they'd start discounting online anyway?
    If you have PSN+ they give you free full games. For instance Sleeping Dogs, Demon Souls, Borderlands.

PlayStation Plus Complete Games List for US & EU « PS3 Blog and Community | PS3Blog.net | PS3/Vita News, Reviews & Opinions

Recent top rated RPG Ni No Kuni was discounted 50% about 2 months after release. A bit like Steam they do discounts on themes and bundle a bunch of games up cheaper.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 2,077 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    XBOX games locked to accounts
    No different from Steam, Origin, Google Play, iTunes, etc. is it?

It's better than the alternative - games and content that is locked to the console. e.g. Wii U.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    No different from Steam, Origin, Google Play, iTunes, etc. is it?

It's better than the alternative - games and content that is locked to the console. e.g. Wii U.
    Still not as good as how it was... Games locked to nothing. If you have the component parts, you can play the game. [I.E: TV, cables, controller, game, console...]

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    IMO Steam is part of the problem but it also has redeeming features with easy game updates, easy to use community features, integration into games (especially F2P games with crap payment systems direct from the publisher) and regular sales ranging from midweek flash sales to all out silliness in the summer and winter where older games get discounted at ridiculous rates. Wait long enough for a title and it will soon go down. They also have a wealth of indie titles and promote cross-platform development.

Origin on the other hand charges max price as long as it can, produces a buggy client that appears to freeze computers when loading and carries a very arrogant "You will use us or GTFO" attitude. It's only advantage is Twitch.tv integration. So the reason Steam gets away with what they do? Valve provide a service that goes beyond just another shop and actually gives a good service to it's users whilst Origin is universally hated.

Then we come to MS. The actual cost is obscured by a points system where the price is slightly over the allowed steps of points purchases so you must buy more points then needed. Multiplayer is held hostage by a subscription and does nothing to reduce adverts or give any real perks to the user. The social features are awkward and littered with pre-pubescent idiots and so heavily restricted you can't even add a custom avatar and even names/places are heavily censored (If you have gay in your name, e.g Gaywood or DeGay you will be banned end of story). Now they want to charge fees on top of fees for playing a game even though the service they give is already dubious? It wouldn't even stay connected so clearly multiplayer quality wasn't being well invested if my PC was playing games online fine.

iTunes, PSN and Play I don't use enough for games but I do like purchasing music through Google Play as they give generous previews. @X-13: I will check some prices on my Vita though tonight. I tend to not buy much from it though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,511 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Steam is imperfect, but when most of the games I buy on it are £3.74 I'm willing to make that trade off.

If Microsoft sell games at that price 12 months after release I will likewise forgiven them their stupidity, but they won't. They'll charge me £25.

If you want to charge me console prices, give me console functionality - sharing, trading in etc. If you want PC functionality with DRM and activations, charge PC prices. You can't pick and choose what you please from each system.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    I can't check properly, but I think Sony are charging full day one rrp on psp games for the vita.
    Yes, but surely if they are serious about online distributions and we are talking 1000's of games over the next 5-6 years, then they are going to have to better manage discounts, promotions and budget lines, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    If you have PSN+ they give you free full games. For instance Sleeping Dogs, Demon Souls, Borderlands.

PlayStation Plus Complete Games List for US & EU « PS3 Blog and Community | PS3Blog.net | PS3/Vita News, Reviews & Opinions
    I know, it's fantastic. PS+ is the best £40 I've ever spent! Red Dead was worth the price alone as was Batman Arkham City. I've got both Sleeping Dogs and Hitman Absolution on my "to do" list - If they replicate the service on PS4 then it doesn't matter what MS offer in terms of "Cloud based persistent worlds" (or what ever it was) - Sony have bought my loyalty!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    AnandTech | The Xbox One: Hardware Analysis & Comparison to PlayStation 4

Specific details on the hardware, including confirmation of the GPU (12 CU compared to the PS4's 18 CU, so only 2/3 the raw GPU power). RAM is DDR3 at 2133MHz, which is still fast, but not 5500MHz GDDR5 fast. Plus there's only 5GB of it available compared to the PS4's unified 8GB... given the common architecture and the ease of porting that should allow for, the PS4 is going to have much better looking games this generation.

Well, I mean, the PC will have much better looking games, but that would be an unfair comparison

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Interesting article, thanks @sonofsanta. They rightly point out the consoles are generally defined by the lowest common denominator (we'll ignore the Wii-U ). That said Sony do have the more powerful machine, and they have the first and second party development houses to go with it...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Interesting article, thanks @sonofsanta. They rightly point out the consoles are generally defined by the lowest common denominator (we'll ignore the Wii-U ). That said Sony do have the more powerful machine, and they have the first and second party development houses to go with it...
    Lowest common denominator has been important this time, but with everything being x86 now, they could just use graphical options to differentiate - i.e. the PS4 will have better AA, larger textures, some better physics... and that work should (hopefully) carry over to the PC ports.

I am cautiously optimistic that this generation will be the greatest ever for the PC - porting will be a case of simply recompiling, and if they release different versions by tweaking graphical options as above, there should at least be an *.ini file for us to tweak on PC and get the most out of it. Plus that new Xbox pad looks nice, and the 360 pad for PC was the best thing to happen this generation

As for ignoring the Wii-U - well, if EA are going to ignore it, I think we're allowed to as well

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Wii-U was a spectacular screw up although it is Nintendo's first foray into the grown up gaming market. Assuming they survive long enough to make a successor console and not pull out from the full-size console market there is some hope they will make something better. They've always done something different though.

As for XBox One, check out the highlights.
    Xbox One Reveal 2013 Highlights - YouTube

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    As for XBox One, check out the highlights.
    Xbox One Reveal 2013 Highlights - YouTube
    I thought this one summed it up better

Xbox One Announcement - Abridged Version (VideoGamer.com) - YouTube

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread