+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Magic The Gathering in Fun Stuff; I'm surprised to find that on a forum full of self confessed IT geeks, there doesn't appear to be a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts

Magic The Gathering

I'm surprised to find that on a forum full of self confessed IT geeks, there doesn't appear to be a single post about MTG!

So, who plays?

I'm just getting in to it with the missus along with a couple we know. Started playing Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 on Steam and on Saturday me and the missus are going to pick up the M13 Deck Builder's Tool Kit and start playing "properly"

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I'm just getting in to it with the missus along with a couple we know. Started playing Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 on Steam and on Saturday me and the missus are going to pick up the M13 Deck Builder's Tool Kit and start playing "properly"
    What is MTG about?
    What is Planeswalkers?
    What is M13 Deck Builders tool kit?
    Last edited by Sunnyknight; 25th April 2013 at 12:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I used to play, I still have the cards... But it just got too expensive.

Plus, type-2 is annoying. I dislike being told I need to buy more stuff to continue playing.

Thursday night magic down at the comic shop... Those were the days. Although, after a while people stopped coming and it ended up getting cancelled.
    Last edited by X-13; 25th April 2013 at 12:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    What is MTG about?
    What is Planeswalkers?
    What is M13 Deck Builders tool kit?
    Guess you're not a player then? Lol

MTG (Magic: The Gathering) is a strategy trading card game. It's been around since 93 and I believe it's the most popular game of it's kind (think Pokémon but about 100x more complex!)

Duels of the Planeswalkers is a PC/PS3/360 game whereby you play the MTG with virtual cards. I got in to it to try to learn the rules a bit before I spent any cash on cards.

The M13 (Magic 2013) Deck Builder's Tool Kit is a box of around 300 cards with instructions on how to build your own deck (a deck is 60 cards I believe?). My thinking is, by building my own deck (there are apparently extensive instructions on various strategies in doing this with the kit), I'll learn the game in more depth in the process and ultimately end up with a deck I really understand and so can employ more strategy when playing and rely less on pure luck.

I tried getting some friends in to it when I was a teenager, but to paraphrase my best friend aged 13 - "if I play that game with you, I'm never getting any!" So I dropped it, but now I'm in my mid 20s and settled down, my inner geek is really coming out lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Plus, type-2 is annoying. I dislike being told I need to buy more stuff to continue playing.
    What's type-2? I'm very new to this...

I can certainly see the potential for it to get expensive but if I ever go to game nights it'll be a long time off! I'm hoping it isn't going to be something that you can only progress in by throwing silly money at though, I'd like to think a good strategy and a decent hand can stand you in good stead...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What's type-2? I'm very new to this...

I can certainly see the potential for it to get expensive but if I ever go to game nights it'll be a long time off! I'm hoping it isn't going to be something that you can only progress in by throwing silly money at though, I'd like to think a good strategy and a decent hand can stand you in good stead...
    The Standard format is continually one of the most popular formats in the constructed deck tournament scene. It is the format most commonly found at Friday Night Magic tournaments, played weekly at many hobby shops. Standard used to be referred to alternatively as "Type 2". While the name "Type 2" has been dropped officially, it is still commonplace that the standard format be referred to this way. This format consists of the most recent "Core Set" release and the two most recent "Block" releases, with one exception. "Rotation" occurs every fall when the first set of the new "Block" releases and becomes Standard Legal. From the time the new "Core Set" is released in early summer, until rotation occurs, 2 core sets are legal. The current Standard set includes Innistrad, Dark Ascension, Avacyn Restored, Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash, and the Magic 2013 core set.
    From here.

As so spiraling costs... it depends on how competative you are. If you just want to play for fun, then it's OK-ish depending on what format you play.

If you're among pro-esque players, it's tempting to buy decks. I'm not talking pre-con decks, or theme decks, I'm talking buying the decks Pro players use... which is REALLY expensive. [You're looking at >Ł200 per deck for some of the stronger ones.]

Thank Post
    Played it a LOT back in the day. Don't forget that this is a game that has been around for a couple of decades at least (23 years according to the wiki).
    Type 2 is essentially where the games producers publish a list of which cards can and can't be used in "tournament" play.
    It is basically a means for them to cull old cards from the set.. and as they are regularly releasing new expansins.. well that's were the cost comes in.
    That and the fact the card distribution is random in the booster and you're only getting 1 "rare" card in each pack...they REALLY got the collectible aspect sewn up there.

Thank Post
    Guess you're not a player then? Lol

MTG (Magic: The Gathering) is a strategy trading card game. It's been around since 93 and I believe it's the most popular game of it's kind (think Pokémon but about 100x more complex!)

Duels of the Planeswalkers is a PC/PS3/360 game whereby you play the MTG with virtual cards. I got in to it to try to learn the rules a bit before I spent any cash on cards.

The M13 (Magic 2013) Deck Builder's Tool Kit is a box of around 300 cards with instructions on how to build your own deck (a deck is 60 cards I believe?). My thinking is, by building my own deck (there are apparently extensive instructions on various strategies in doing this with the kit), I'll learn the game in more depth in the process and ultimately end up with a deck I really understand and so can employ more strategy when playing and rely less on pure luck.

I tried getting some friends in to it when I was a teenager, but to paraphrase my best friend aged 13 - "if I play that game with you, I'm never getting any!" So I dropped it, but now I'm in my mid 20s and settled down, my inner geek is really coming out lol
    Cheeky bugger lol

I played pokemon, digimon, and yu-gi-OOOOOHHHHHHH. Yu-gi-OHHHHHHHH is probably 10x harder than MTG....

DotP sounds, interesting. I loved playing yu-gi-OHHHHHHHHHHHH on my ds, so i may look into that.

M13 is something i see a lot of money going into. I doubt i'd prefer the actual cards to virtual, though they'd be much less cheating involved it seems.

I'd recommend Yu-gi-OHHHHHHHHHHHH over MTG. It's much harder! Kinda.... lol

Thank Post
    @X-13 @JohnCondon - thanks both! It's highly unlikely I'll go to any tournaments, just looking to play for fun with friends. Worth baring in mind the outlay if I do decide to go and play in any tournaments though! From your own experiences, do you find game nights are a bit more relaxed about which cards you use or do they tend to stick to type-2 decks as well?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd recommend Yu-gi-OHHHHHHHHHHHH over MTG. It's much harder! Kinda.... lol
    If Exodia is still legal, I believe there's an exploit where you can pretty much just search you deck for it and say you've won.

From your own experiences, do you find game nights are a bit more relaxed about which cards you use or do they tend to stick to type-2 decks as well?
    Mine was pretty much always either type-2 or booster drafts.

Though on occassion we just played with whatever we had.

Also, a deck is 60 cards minimum. I once played with ~100 in a deck. If you've built it right, it's ok.
    Last edited by X-13; 25th April 2013 at 01:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I haven't played in aaaaaages!

I used to play, I still have the cards... But it just got too expensive.

Thursday night magic down at the comic shop... Those were the days. Although, after a while people stopped coming and it ended up getting cancelled.
    Used to love magic nights! Though the cost was ridiculous and I had thousands of cards before I reralised it!

Type II is normally awful but I must say my mono-black creature destroying back deck based around the onslaught block / 7th ed was both type II legal and undefeated against every single type I deck it ever faced.

That said an Urza's Saga Green deck with sol ring mana boosts was so broken it just wasn't fair to let people play it.

Thank Post
    @X-13 @JohnCondon - thanks both! It's highly unlikely I'll go to any tournaments, just looking to play for fun with friends. Worth baring in mind the outlay if I do decide to go and play in any tournaments though! From your own experiences, do you find game nights are a bit more relaxed about which cards you use or do they tend to stick to type-2 decks as well?
    It really depends on your gaming group.
    I've played with groups in the past who were absolute sticklers to "ONLY" playing tournament legal decks and groups who loved creating silly theme decks (an old friends Plague Rats deck was not fun to play against, the attack of defense of each plague rat is equal to the number of plague rats in play.. and they were the ONLY creatures in is deck).

Thank Post
    If Exodia is still legal, I believe there's an exploit where you can pretty much just search you deck for it and say you've won.
    You'd know about exploits wouldn't you

Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    I haven't played in aaaaaages!

Used to love magic nights! Though the cost was ridiculous and I had thousands of cards before I reralised it!

Type II is normally awful but I must say my mono-black creature destroying back deck based around the onslaught block / 7th ed was both type II legal and undefeated against every single type I deck it ever faced.

That said an Urza's Saga Green deck with sol ring mana boosts was so broken it just wasn't fair to let people play it.
    Dave, that didn't half make you seem like a ultra uber gazuber nerd. lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    Mono-blue "I'm sorry, I can't let you do that Dave" > everything.

Which is strange as I preferred black/green.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You'd know about exploits wouldn't you

Dave, that didn't half make you seem like a ultra uber gazuber nerd. lol
    That's because I am (was actually, I'm more normal now) I wont get started on my infinite everything deck then? :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast