+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Gaming Thread, Magic The Gathering in Fun Stuff; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 806 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    If only you lived closer... I'd be tempted to challenge you.
    Where exactly is /dev/null? Is that near /mnt/sdd?

Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    Post your deck list on here. I'm intrigued.
    I'll post it up later, don't have them to hand right now but it's a green/white deck with most of my lower mana creatures coming from white, a few power creatures and spells in green and I stuck to 60 cards, 24 land, 24 creatures, remainder other spells for the time being while I find my feet.

Ditto! I was considering selling up, making a coupla hundred quid and stopping altogether, but I'm tempted to go the other way now.
    I can certainly see the temptation to make some cash (I collected Pokémon cards as a teenager but never had any of the really rare ones cuz I'd sell them as soon as I got them!) but damn, this game is fun! I'm a little nervous about going to an FNM event in case I get told I need to buy a load of new cards or that I have illegals in my deck, feel like that would somewhat spoil my fun... at least for now! Would love to have some casual games with folk though

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I can certainly see the temptation to make some cash (I collected Pokémon cards as a teenager but never had any of the really rare ones cuz I'd sell them as soon as I got them!) but damn, this game is fun! I'm a little nervous about going to an FNM event in case I get told I need to buy a load of new cards or that I have illegals in my deck, feel like that would somewhat spoil my fun... at least for now! Would love to have some casual games with folk though
    It's incredibly tempting actually. I must have 150 odd rares in a folder, plus at least as many again in decks. Not to mention thousands of commons and hundreds of uncommons. Gotta be worth more than a couple of hundres quid. Anybody want to tempt me?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also if anybody is ever in the area the chaps at COGS Hammerhead Open Gaming Show - COGS Club Information are a lovely bunch of people and have a large group of regular Magic player from grizzly vets down to beginner.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,960 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Where exactly is /dev/null? Is that near /mnt/sdd?
    Nah, it's near the any-number and 0 divide.

A little bit away from del and format

Thank Post
    It's incredibly tempting actually. I must have 150 odd rares in a folder, plus at least as many again in decks. Not to mention thousands of commons and hundreds of uncommons. Gotta be worth more than a couple of hundres quid. Anybody want to tempt me?
    Haha yeah if I spent even close to that amount in one go on these cards, I think my missus would throw me out on my ear! On a serious note, have you tried somewhere like Magic The Gathering UK - Buy MTG Cards, Boosters & Accessories and read mtgUK Strategy Articles to see what kind of price they'd offer you? There are a few places I've come across that will buy collections, only mention that one cuz they're the only one I've ordered from so far

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Haha yeah if I spent even close to that amount in one go on these cards, I think my missus would throw me out on my ear! On a serious note, have you tried somewhere like Magic The Gathering UK - Buy MTG Cards, Boosters & Accessories and read mtgUK Strategy Articles to see what kind of price they'd offer you? There are a few places I've come across that will buy collections, only mention that one cuz they're the only one I've ordered from so far

Tempting as that is I think I'd prefer my collection to go to one person if i ever did sell it. I've spent enough time building it up that I would hate to see it get broken down and sold piecemeal by a store.

Thank Post
    Tempting as that is I think I'd prefer my collection to go to one person if i ever did sell it. I've spent enough time building it up that I would hate to see it get broken down and sold piecemeal by a store.
    I can see what you mean, whenever it comes time for me to sell on a camera I'd rather let it go for less to somebody who will appreciate it than head on over to eBay and rip off the "vintage" crowd.

So, open question to seasoned players: do you find you focus on one deck at a time to play with, or do you have a variety of decks on the go and pick one depending on your opponent?

I don't really have the cards for multiple decks yet, could probably get one more predominantly blue deck out of them as a very nice chap at Forbidden Planet in Wolverhampton threw in a free Jace Beleren 30 card deck because I'm a noob! That being said, I'm thinking focusing on getting this deck "perfected" (as far as possible with the cards I have) should be my focus for the time being.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've it about 18 decks currently built with between 50-75 cards in each. Some are world beaters some are just there for fun. And then there are some that exploit a particular card combo (worldslayer deck for infinite everything, green blue elf deck for infinite 7/7 tramplers <voice of the woods/intruder alarm anyone?>)
    Then there's the theme decks. Goblins, elves, soldiers ect

Thank Post
    I've it about 18 decks currently built with between 50-75 cards in each. Some are world beaters some are just there for fun. And then there are some that exploit a particular card combo (worldslayer deck for infinite everything, green blue elf deck for infinite 7/7 tramplers <voice of the woods/intruder alarm anyone?>)
    Then there's the theme decks. Goblins, elves, soldiers ect
    And do you just play whatever you feel like playing? One thing I've been unable to workout is how you can really choose a deck to suit an opponent - this is going to sound really stupid I know but I'm assuming that you go in to each match blind?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You generally go into a match blind unless you can talk your opponent into revealing theirt style of deck. even if they tell you the colours you can make an educated guess as to what type opf game it'll be and choose your accordinly.

Also sideboard... Those 15 cards are essential. I always keep a sideboard thats similar if not the same across most of my decks. Then if i lose the first round I can change things up a little and kick ass in the second.

Or you can just go in with bravado. The old "My Deck's so awesome you'll never beat it even with your best Blue deck" Blah Blah. It makes people riled and then they make mistakes.

But really you should just play the decks you enjoy the most. I have a 'Hero' deck that I love. It's just 50 cards and uses the Morph ability to the extreme. on turn two I can deal 16 damage to you with my first striking dinosaur. Or it fails, falls flat and I'm dead by turn six.

Thank Post
    I have a White deck, but I haven't used it in some considerable time. I wouldn't say it was anything exceptional (built from spares!) but it's not bad. Not great, but not bad. Of course, given the way most TCG's go it's probably both 'illegal' and terrible by now. I'd like to get back into it, but I don't know anybody else near me that does. I know I could trek into Manchester, but I don't want to do that on my own 'cause I'm socially inept and all..

I also have Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon and FullMetal Alchemist decks. Yeah.. I used to be a big TCG fan overall.. xD One of my YGO decks is the product of almost three years of work throughout college!
    Last edited by Garacesh; 2nd May 2013 at 08:49 AM.

Thank Post
    I played MTG when it first came out (yes I am old) - maybe some of the hundreds of cards I have could be worth something.....I may have to check into that

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234