+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Ouya Ships! in Fun Stuff; The Kickstarter funded Android based console is now shipping it first units to the people who funded it. At 65 ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 986 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ouya Ships!

The Kickstarter funded Android based console is now shipping it first units to the people who funded it. At 65 ($99) It will be interesting to see what effect this will have on the games industry, but given the hardware restrictions of the unit my guess would be it is aimed at the more casual gamer rather than those who would invest a lot more time and effort in larger console based titles.

BBC News - 'Disruptive' Ouya games console shipped to first supporters

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    The Kickstarter funded Android based console is now shipping it first units to the people who funded it. At 65 ($99) It will be interesting to see what effect this will have on the games industry, but given the hardware restrictions of the unit my guess would be it is aimed at the more casual gamer rather than those who would invest a lot more time and effort in larger console based titles.

BBC News - 'Disruptive' Ouya games console shipped to first supporters
    Was reading this recently.

Doubt it'll have a HUGE affect on gaming industry.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was excited about this when I first heard about it, but I think they have made some disastrous choices in order to a) keep to afar too low price point, b) be mobile phone Android compatbile, and c) get noticed by the press...

nVidia Tegra CPU - I'd have used a AMD APU
    1Gb Ram - should have been at least 2Gb
    8Gb SSD - wtf? 120gb 2.5" SATA would have been better

My design choices could still have been Android based and I think producable for around 150 retail. Would have stood a better chance at competing with the big boys. As it is you'd be able to get a new PS3 super slim or Wii-U for not much more than the price of the Ouya by the time PS4 and XBox720 launches as the end of the year.

Then add to that the recent announcement that they are going to ship with Nintendo emulators Actually, I think the law suite with Nintendo will have this off the shelves before too long!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think the whole point was that it will play the same games that those with 'doid phones currently play hence the lower specs. I agree about the storage though. 8GB isn't enough these days to store any number of Android titles.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,935 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Then add to that the recent announcement that they are going to ship with Nintendo emulators Actually, I think the law suite with Nintendo will have this off the shelves before too long!
    Emulators are entirely legal.

Some of the reasons you'd use one, however, aren't.

For instance, I could download a Wii emulator and play homebrew games. Or use it as a test enviroment for making homebrew apps.

Nintendo don't like it, but their views don't matter when they law says it's ok.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think the whole point was that it will play the same games that those with 'doid phones currently play hence the lower specs. I agree about the storage though. 8GB isn't enough these days to store any number of Android titles.
    I think it you're right. But I think it was the wrong market to focus on and a missed opportunity because of it. If it wasn't for the gimmicky controller hardware and lack of third party support - Nintendo almost have it right with the Wii-U. Low cost, reasonably powerful, built on standard hardware, update the spec a little more often then the two bigger players.

Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Emulators are entirely legal.
    I'm pretty certain it's not that clear cut. Besides, It's one thing making an emulator and having it freely available on the internet. It's another selling it with a system that one might argue encourage piracy. It's doubly foolish, if you were to do such a thing, to pick a company that is as anti-emulation and litigation happy on the subject as Nintendo are!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I'm pretty certain it's not that clear cut. Besides, It's one thing making an emulator and having it freely available on the internet. It's another selling it with a system that one might argue encourage piracy. It's doubly foolish, if you were to do such a thing, to pick a company that is as anti-emulation and litigation happy on the subject as Nintendo are!
    IANAL, but I think it IS that clear cut. Emulators, in and of themselves, are legal. It's the ROMs and ISOs that aren't. Even selling it would be fine, providing it's just the emulator.

But, I agree that this is risky. It depends on how they market it. If they don't advertise it as a way to play Nintendo games [or 3rd-party copyrighted games for those consoles] then there isn't much Nintendo can do about it. It's just a bit of software.

Thank Post
    The problem with an emulator is that at some point it has to run code, and its the code that is copyright.
    Most emulators ship without the 'bootcode', and without it the emulator cannot function.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    The problem with an emulator is that at some point it has to run code, and its the code that is copyright.
    Most emulators ship without the 'bootcode', and without it the emulator cannot function.
    Indeed. It's a strange situation where some of the parts are ok, some are questionable [ROMs/ISOs of things you physically own] and others are illegal.

Then you get companies saying one thing, when in fact it's the opposite... [Like Nintendo and "emulators are illegal"]

Thank Post
    8GB storage is a non-issue, as you can always plug in more via SDHC or even USB. Similarly with the processor, as an AMD jobby would need to be completely custom to fit in the same amount of space Intel's NUC is something that comes close, but that's still 150 for a 1.1GHz Celeron. I mean, you can run the Tegra chip off a mobile phone adapter... Plus going with AMD would mean having to completely tailor Android to your system. It would never see the light of day.

I think they've made the right decisions based on the time they've had (let's face it, look how long it took the Raspberry Pi to build up some steam), and gone for the right platform with Android. It's a familiar development environment, and easy to port existing stuff to. Plus it's open, which means my dreams of a decent XBMC-running 'droid device are alive and well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 1,414 Posts

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Now that looks quite interesting and I wouldn't hesitate to put that next to my TV. With full Android and XBMC. Win-win

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts
    At 65 ($99) it will be interesting to see what effect this will have on the games industry
    Practically zero effect, since it isn't going to cost 65 in the UK (for obvious reasons) and it's unlikely to appeal to the mass market. GAME will be selling the console for 99.99 with additional controllers costing 39.99 each.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 1,414 Posts
    The cost of additionaly controllers is ludicrous.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Android supports native bluetooth gamepads, so I doubt you'd be tied to the official ones..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast