+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Gaming Thread, Ouya Ships! in Fun Stuff; This is interesting: Dan Morrill (Google Android Team) talks about Ouya's problems Verdict: Lots of issues, lots of work remaining. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts
    This is interesting:

Dan Morrill (Google Android Team) talks about Ouya's problems

Verdict:
    Lots of issues, lots of work remaining. There are only three possible outcomes, here:

1. they delay retail launch until September or October (or later);
    2. they launch with more or less this build anyway, and shoot themselves in the foot;
    3. they pull off a Herculean miracle and make it all work.

Let's all root for #3, of course. But, you know, just sayin'.

Footnote: I'm intentionally not even getting into hardware stuff (though generally I find the hardware pretty reasonable for this price point), or launch title selection (which, yeah, has major issues right now). This is all about the core system software.

Thank Post
    To be honest, none of the listed issues really bothers me. Granted, it's not as streamlined an experience as they were touting, but it's still Android underneath. I'm already thinking of ditching the OUYA interface and going Vanilla. The only thing that I really want is HDMI-CEC compatibility that is supposedly capable in the system's hardware. It just needs to be enabled in the kernel.

Basically, I just want an XBMC machine that plays retro games...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,341 Posts
    Mine was delivered this morning not sure if I'm taking it out of the box or sticking it on ebay at the moment.

Ben

Thank Post
    Ouya did post on twitter i think it was, to say that any reviews currently on the net have been done on pre-release models sent to people who backed them and the machines were not intended to be used for press reviews.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Mine was delivered this morning not sure if I'm taking it out of the box or sticking it on ebay at the moment.

Ben
    Ebay it. This console is going to fail hard as anything but a cheap Netflix/Google Play Music/Spotify/NES Emulator box. No big name developers are going to develop exclusively for the Ouya, and casual gamers can still play all the other games on their phones so why would they spend 65 on this?! Casual gamers are people who by definition do not play games very often, marketing a console directly to them is an extremely stupid idea.

I don't know why people keep acting like this is going to be a success. It's not. Something like the GameDock (a device that connects your iOS device to your TV to use like a games console) would be a way better product for the price point, since most "casual gamers" have a smartphone already.

Quote Originally Posted by Cush2790 View Post
    Ouya did post on twitter i think it was, to say that any reviews currently on the net have been done on pre-release models sent to people who backed them and the machines were not intended to be used for press reviews.
    LOL this is such a classic kickstarter backpedal. Set ambitious goals, fail to deliver on them and then make excuses until the story blows over.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    Ebay it. This console is going to fail hard as anything but a cheap Netflix/Google Play Music/Spotify/NES Emulator box. No big name developers are going to develop exclusively for the Ouya, and casual gamers can still play all the other games on their phones so why would they spend 65 on this?! Casual gamers are people who by definition do not play games very often, marketing a console directly to them is an extremely stupid idea.
    You won't get it for 65 in the UK after shipping, especially if you have to include import duty.

The problem with your logic is that there's no need to develop exclusively for the OUYA. The games are developed for Android. The only thing that needs to be factored in is gamepad support, which most provide anyway. I've tried playing plenty of games on my phone/tablet that look great, but I can't get on with the on-screen buttons. FPS and racing games are the usual culprits. Playing with a gamepad attached to the tablet is great, but I'm not going to carry around one of them outside the house. So I may as well get an OUYA which covers everything.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    Set ambitious goals, fail to deliver on them and then make excuses until the story blows over.
    Hey, if it's good enough for Molyneux...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cush2790 View Post
    any reviews currently on the net have been done on pre-release models sent to people who backed them and the machines were not intended to be used for press reviews.
    Reviews of the retail model aren't particularly great either...

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Until I can get vanilla android on there with the Play Store, I'm going to leave it. Especially as HDMI-CEC has yet to be baked in as promised.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fromtheinternet View Post
    Until I can get vanilla android on there with the Play Store, I'm going to leave it. Especially as HDMI-CEC has yet to be baked in as promised.
    This is definitely the best idea. There might be a market for a low-cost android-TV box but the Ouya isn't the killer app for it by any stretch.

I just had a thought - if you own an Android smartphone that supports HDMI via the USB port, wouldn't you get a better experience than the Ouya by plugging your phone into your TV and then using bluetooth controllers? Android supports them natively so in theory you wouldn't have to change any settings. It's more expensive to buy as a dedicated device, but if you already own a Nexus 4 or something this has got to be a cheaper/better way of doing it?

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123