+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Steam Box prototype console within four months in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by Rawns The more I hear about this, the more I get excited about it! Are you excited ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    The more I hear about this, the more I get excited about it!
    Are you excited enough to pay ≥ $999? That's what Xi3's PISTON console will cost if you don't pre-order it. Valve's SteamBox will probably be expensive too.

xi3.com/buy_now-piston.php

Code:
    Specs
    3.2Ghz AMD R464 Quad Core CPU (essentially an A10-4600M APU with Radeon HD 7660G)
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    128GB SSD

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think Xi3's system should be taken as an example of the end product. Their system is plainly an 'elite' one - an oddly specced one at that. 128GB SSD? That's it? That'll be full after a couple of games.

SSDs are great for games, but they aren't cost effective for them at the moment. A standard HDD is really needed for Steam, or maybe one of those hybrid drives.

The design of that system is great but the price comes from the sheer mini size of it. Expand it to a more traditional size, and you can adjust the price a fair amount, as you can reduce the problem of cooling etc...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    128GB SSD? That's it? That'll be full after a couple of games.
    The 128GB SSD would be fine for the games you are currently playing. As you finish each game, you could move it to an external HDD so it doesn't have to be downloaded again.

If the PISTON has the same number of ports as the X7A Modular PC which it is based on (4x eSATAp III, 4x USB 3.0 and 4x USB 2.0), I don't think storage will be problem for most people. A single 2TB WD MyPassport would be enough for all of my Steam games.

You're probably right that Valve's SteamBox will be cheaper, but I bet it is going to cost at least 499.99 when it's released in the UK.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The 128GB SSD would be fine for the games you are currently playing. As you finish each game, you could move it to an external HDD so it doesn't have to be downloaded again.
    But that isn't how a console works... Nor steam. The idea is supposed to be 'click and go' for both.

You're probably right that Valve's SteamBox will be cheaper, but I bet it is going to cost at least 499.99 when it's released in the UK.
    Unless they sell below cost to get them out there, to make money from the games...

Thank Post
    But that isn't how a console works... Nor steam. The idea is supposed to be 'click and go' for both.
    Choosing different install locations isn't that difficult. The install_folder_ui will no doubt be enabled by default on Valve's console.

Unless they sell below cost to get them out there, to make money from the games...
    I could see Valve bundling a 'free' copy of Half-Life 3 with the SteamBox, but I can't see them sustaining substantial multi-year losses like Microsoft and Sony can.

Thank Post
    The Piston Box (aka, "Steam" Box) is up fro pre-order:

Xi3 is taking pre-orders for the Piston PC, its so-called Steam Box, for shipping by "holidays 2013".
    The Piston Steam Box will start at US$1000 - Computers: PC, Mac, Laptop, Desktop, Tablet & Monitors

It will start at US$1000 and ship Christmas 2013. While not the actual "Steam Console", this is the model Valve have invested in with Xi3, and it's it's been specifically designed to run Steam in Big Screen mode.

Pre-order page if your interested: Xi3 | Buy Now - PISTON Console

Edit: Interesting, the base model is actually US$899. Price goes up based on SSD size.
    Last edited by Rawns; 11th March 2013 at 08:54 AM.

Thank Post
    But that isn't how a console works...
    Well it is really isn't it. Get a game out of the box, play it, put it back in the box (or on the floor/shelf/in a book!) and get another one out. Copying to and from an external HDD would actually be easier, don't need to get up from your chair. & Steam makes it easier as you could backup save games and just download when you want to from your back catalog.

Thank Post
    I don't think Xi3's system should be taken as an example of the end product. Their system is plainly an 'elite' one - an oddly specced one at that. 128GB SSD? That's it? That'll be full after a couple of games.

SSDs are great for games, but they aren't cost effective for them at the moment. A standard HDD is really needed for Steam, or maybe one of those hybrid drives.
    Exactly why I bought a 1TB Segate HDD for my Steam library in my new rig rather then an SSD. You just can't get the size needed yet, plus the largest SSD drives at the moment are way too expensive.

May be wrong, but was that not how much the PS3 was when it came out? And the Xbox was not far off?

Also, technically you won't need to buy all new games. You'll instantly have your whole Steam catalog available to play on your new 'console', and most people I know with Steam have 100+ games. No 'backwards compatibility' issues there to worry about.

I could see Valve bundling a 'free' copy of Half-Life 3 with the SteamBox, but I can't see them sustaining substantial multi-year losses like Microsoft and Sony can.
    Is this even 'officially' in development?
    Last edited by Rawns; 11th March 2013 at 09:20 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Also, technically you won't need to buy all new games. You'll instantly have your whole Steam catalog available to play on your new 'console', and most people I know with Steam have 100+ games. No 'backwards compatibility' issues there to worry about.
    At the moment, there are a lot of big games that haven't got a Linux port.

I'm rooting for Valve but I'm sceptical. It all just feels a little too same old same old to me. I really think if they're going to pull this off, they have to take steps to work on the terms of the console crowd. Releasing a custom gaming PC with a platform not yet ready to deliver AAA games just isn't going to cut it I don't think.

I do think, however, they could afford to make a loss on their "console" for a year or two. They must have an incredible amount of capital behind them by now, as well as being a AAA games developer they provide a platform that other games are built on as well as being the largest online games distributor in the world... yeah, I think they could quite easily afford a bit of a loss on console sales for a year or two.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Dell has made a Steambox!

www.alienware.com/ubuntu/

Last edited by Arthur; 5th April 2013 at 10:56 PM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Errr wow. How much progress has Linux made since December to have companies selling Linux boxes?! When I left it the Steam beta was still suffering from UI bugs, minimal support and choppy framerates.

Thank Post
    More details coming next week according to the Beeb!

BBC News - Valve drops hints about Steam game hardware

Thank Post
    More details coming next week according to the Beeb!

BBC News - Valve drops hints about Steam game hardware

Just read this cant wait for next week!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,394 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well in regards to the linux way of playing games, they're adding in "crossover" as part of a package you can buy on linux, which means your entire windows library of games is available on the linux box. Not sure how well it would run, but something to mull over.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast