+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Gaming Thread, New Tomb Raider [released 5th March 2013] in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by chazzy2501 If the new Aliens game tells us anything, its that we should not support the games ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    If the new Aliens game tells us anything, its that we should not support the games industry using pre-orders. it allows them to rip customers off.
    Pre-[anything] allows companies to rip people off.

The season pass for Saints Row: The Third, for example, was supposed to have 4 pieces of DLC. It got 3, then the 4th was scrapped and is being added into SR4.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    If the new Aliens game tells us anything, its that we should not support the games industry using pre-orders. it allows them to rip customers off. They entise you with extra freebies that should have been included anyway! Vote with your wallet!
    Steam offer 10% discount on pre-orders, so I save money by pre-ordering. It is very rare I pre-order and I'd never do so just for the "extras," but 10% is a decent discount on a new game

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Am i the only person to be not excited about this?

I always found the original, and #2, to be slow-moving, fairly boring 3rd person puzzlers. For the original PS, why have Tomb Raider when you could have Syphon Filter?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Am i the only person to be not excited about this?

I always found the original, and #2, to be slow-moving, fairly boring 3rd person puzzlers. For the original PS, why have Tomb Raider when you could have Syphon Filter?
    Syphon Filter was a completely different game! Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but you can't really compare the two - they're third person, you have guns and that's where the similarity ends! I think the series does feel a bit dated now, but I still enjoy playing TR2 occasionally. I think Uncharted was really the wake up call the TR series needed, it borrowed heavily from the series but improved on the old formula. I'm hoping they've learned from this for this game.

I think if I'm totally honest, there is a bit of nostalgia here for me, I have fond memories of working my way through the previous games. Had it not been for that, I'd wait for the reviews before platying it, certainly wouldn't have pre-ordered.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Syphon Filter was a completely different game! Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but you can't really compare the two - they're third person, you have guns and that's where the similarity ends! I think the series does feel a bit dated now, but I still enjoy playing TR2 occasionally. I think Uncharted was really the wake up call the TR series needed, it borrowed heavily from the series but improved on the old formula. I'm hoping they've learned from this for this game.

I think if I'm totally honest, there is a bit of nostalgia here for me, I have fond memories of working my way through the previous games. Had it not been for that, I'd wait for the reviews before platying it, certainly wouldn't have pre-ordered.
    I'd have to disagree with you there!

Syphon Filter had a faster pace to it, and the puzzles were just as difficult. I found that TR never engaged me in the way SF did. I know that it's all opinion and horses for courses, but I couldn't get into TR.

And as for Lara Croft being some kind of pin-up..... :rollseyes:

Thank Post
    Syphon Filter had a faster pace to it, and the puzzles were just as difficult. I found that TR never engaged me in the way SF did. I know that it's all opinion and horses for courses, but I couldn't get into TR.
    You've hit the nail on the head there - horses for courses! I think part of it for me is that I've always been very in to the story line of games, and Tomb Raider's was much more interesting to me. Like I said though, I did enjoy Syphon Filter too, I've just never really been in to military stories.

And as for Lara Croft being some kind of pin-up..... :rollseyes:
    Haha well I think you might be the first person bloke I've ever spoken to who could say if Lara Croft were a real woman they'd kick her out of bed, I thought she was every teenage geek's dream girl!
    Last edited by LosOjos; 4th March 2013 at 03:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Haha well I think you might be the first person bloke I've ever spoken to who could say if Lara Croft were a real woman they'd kick her out of bed, I thought she was every teenage geek's dream girl!
    That must've been it then....I was already in my mid-20's and actually dating girls!!!

(That is in no way meant to be disparaging towards anyone, by the way!)

I agree that Ms Jolie made a fine example in the films....but still...she's just an avatar!!

Thank Post
    That must've been it then....I was already in my mid-20's and actually dating girls!!!

(That is in no way meant to be disparaging towards anyone, by the way!)

I agree that Ms Jolie made a fine example in the films....but still...she's just an avatar!!
    Ha yeah that'll be the one, without the raging hormones of a 13 year old I can understand why a pair of polygon breasts didn't do it for you!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ha yeah that'll be the one, without the raging hormones of a 13 year old I can understand why a pair of polygon breasts didn't do it for you!
    LOL!.... The raging hormones were about when the best on offer was Football Manager, Elite, and various other Spectrum/Vic20/Arcade games were available.....

Not much to get excited about, other than the gameplay!!!

Although.....there was always the imagination aspect of walking into a bar on Lave, as Dangerous, and watching the other traders scuttle away, and leave the best looking ladies behind....

Wait....I think I may have revealed too much about my pubescent self!!!

Thank Post
    Managed to get about 20 minutes on it this morning while the nipper got ready for school (after trying to figure out why the hell it wouldn't start for 10 minutes - apparently my GTX560 doesn't like "exclusive full screen mode")

Really liking what I've seen so far. It feels very fluid when switching from cut scene to gameplay (in fact I just stood there a couple of times not realising it was "my turn"!), already had a nice simple puzzle to get started, bit of running and leaping and some reaction time scenes, all felt nicely balanced and flowed well.

Haven't played it for anywhere near long enough to form an opinion on it, but the outlook is good.

EDIT: it seems there are a lot of issues with Nvidia GPU's at the moment, hopefully Nvidia will get updated drivers out soon, though I haven't had anywhere near as many crashes as others are reporting in the Steam forums. Again, I only played for 20 minutes so I can't say with any authority that it's not as bad as people are making out...
    Last edited by LosOjos; 5th March 2013 at 09:59 AM.

Thank Post
    I loved the first tomb raider it was the first game I saw on a 3DFX card 4MB voodoo and it looked so awesome compared to the Playstation version. - having to play it on a gravis pad + Also backing Lara into a corner to see polygon boobs!

Thank Post
    backing Lara into a corner to see polygon boobs!
    haha, we've all been there! (except @aerospacemango of course )

I remember that a CVG published the codes for Action Replay that made Lara "naked" in TR2 - it actually just made her outfit flesh coloured and bizarrely turned her blonde! The code was a full page in the magazine and took about 20 minutes to enter assuming you got it right first time - teenage boys eh?!

Thank Post
    Can't wait to play this one - hope they've posted it by the time i get in tonight!

Wonder if they kept any of the codes from the originals - I used to love getting the weapons code wrong and seeing her explode (or doing it in a cave and jumping backwards down a hole )!

Thank Post
    Ah - the code to turn her "naked".... many hours spent on that...in my room...alone.

Thank Post
    Got a couple more hours on this last night and I have to say, it's exactly what I was hoping for. It feels every bit the Tomb Raider game, just refreshed. Puzzles so far have been very simple, but I'm hoping that's just because I'm not very far in to the game.

Anybody else playing?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast