+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Gaming Thread, SimCity 2013 in Fun Stuff; Maxis Insider: SimCity Servers Not Necessary EA’s claims about the necessity of online play – claims that more people are ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,967 Times in 2,182 Posts
    Maxis Insider: SimCity Servers Not Necessary

EA’s claims about the necessity of online play – claims that more people are seeing for themselves not to be true, just by running the game with the internet cable yanked out – seem inexplicable.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I did mean to post the other RPS story/opinion piece on SimCity the other day: SimCity Is Inherently Broken, Let’s Not Let This Go | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

These aren’t teething problems. These are continuous deep-running flaws designed to cripple the game for you as a player, simply to serve some nebulous notion of protecting the game against piracy.

What EA and Maxis have done with SimCity is attempt a year-long PR assault to suggest that the online-only nature of SimCity is designed to offer enhancements for gamers. This is simply not true. It’s utter rubbish. It’s a backward step for a format that seemed to be managing for years to offer single player and multiplayer options for games without the universe cracking in two. The idea that multiplayer-only is an enhancement is such an obvious piece of newspeak, such a ridiculous untruth, that we can only loudly and furiously react against it if we’re to not see it incredulously accepted as fact.
    I am, as ever, in complete agreement with Mr. Walker on the matter. EA have somehow slipped back into full evil mode while we were all looking elsewhere and whinging about Call of Duty

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    EA have somehow slipped back into full evil mode while we were all looking elsewhere and whinging about Call of Duty
    Wait... when were EA NOT evil?

Dead Space 3 microtransactions and then “We’re building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, either to get to a higher level to buy a new character, to buy a truck, a gun, whatever it might be.” [With the obligatory, "I didn't mean that".]

Plus forcing people to use Origin, which allows them to scan your computer.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Wait... when were EA NOT evil?

Dead Space 3 microtransactions and then “We’re building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, either to get to a higher level to buy a new character, to buy a truck, a gun, whatever it might be.” [With the obligatory, "I didn't mean that".]

Plus forcing people to use Origin, which allows them to scan your computer.
    A few years back they were investing in small studios (e.g. Shank), releasing new IPs (Dead Space) and generally just looking after developers a bit more than they historically had done. At the same time, Activision had gone Full Evil, closing down flagship studios when a single game failed even though it had received no marketing push (Blur), withholding royalties from developers (CoD:MW2), and letting Bobby Kotick speak.

Now, though, EA have done Sim City and Dead Space 3, and Activision have gone quiet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    A few years back they were investing in small studios (e.g. Shank), releasing new IPs (Dead Space) and generally just looking after developers a bit more than they historically had done. At the same time, Activision had gone Full Evil, closing down flagship studios when a single game failed even though it had received no marketing push (Blur), withholding royalties from developers (CoD:MW2), and letting Bobby Kotick speak.

Now, though, EA have done Sim City and Dead Space 3, and Activision have gone quiet.
    I dunno, EA have always been pretty evil. Just look at the mess they made of C&C when they closed Westwood Studios, the closure of Pandemic Studios, DICE Canada within hours of buying DICE, Bullfrog, and don't forget the mess that was Sim City Societies after closing Maxis...

No, EA in my view can't be looked upon very favourably in my mind.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't think they ever went below about 85% evil, but in context of their usual evil they did slack off a bit, and have now returned to their earlier ways with all vigour and determination. I know that no corporation really cares about its customers, but most of them at least pretend.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They were showing positive signs before BF3 when Activision were in full evil and they promised the Battlelog stats system and other stuff that would be free compared to COD Elite which wasn't. Then shortly after release, after seeing how well COD Elite was faring, Premium arrived and we were fed expansions that weren't all that great and better described as "weapon and map packs" and often didn't translate back into the base game. B2K and to some degree CQ were the last proper updates. Very little from the last three expansions have crossed back into the vanilla game.

As for SimCity, I can't even play it. Anyone who has been following me on Twitter will know why, Tesco have run out of Limited Edition boxes and now rushing around trying to contact customers to give them a Standard Edition copy with a (probably not going to work) LE upgrade code via E-Mail. That's still useless if they haven't sent the Standard Edition disk!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    They were showing positive signs before BF3 when Activision were in full evil and they promised the Battlelog stats system and other stuff that would be free compared to COD Elite which wasn't. Then shortly after release, after seeing how well COD Elite was faring, Premium arrived and we were fed expansions that weren't all that great and better described as "weapon and map packs" and often didn't translate back into the base game. B2K and to some degree CQ were the last proper updates. Very little from the last three expansions have crossed back into the vanilla game.

As for SimCity, I can't even play it. Anyone who has been following me on Twitter will know why, Tesco have run out of Limited Edition boxes and now rushing around trying to contact customers to give them a Standard Edition copy with a (probably not going to work) LE upgrade code via E-Mail. That's still useless if they haven't sent the Standard Edition disk!
    We encountered an issue on Launch da, in that the Origin's sites add new payment method form was bust.
    Tried to explain to the technical support guys that it was because the XML was badly coded and had resulted in a broken month selector.. I even sent them the extract from the page source that isolated the issue.. to no avail.
    What they did do though was, after confirming that there was no way we'd be able to buy the version with all the bells and whistles from them direct that they would, once we'd bought a physcial copy from whereever, gift us the activation codes for the bits we'd be missing out on.
    So the other half wended her way down to Game and got two physical copies from there and then, at 3pm the phone call we were promised materialised, she confirmed her activation code and they gave her the add on codes for the french and german city packs FOC.

So don't give up all hope that the standard version will not be able to deliver. Just get on the phone to help desk.
    Worth a shot.
    Last edited by JohnCondon; 13th March 2013 at 03:13 PM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The pre-order is £29.99, that's considerably cheaper than Origin!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesco
    I checked & they have confirmed that it will be dispatched in the next 48 hours & will take 10 working days to arrive from then.
    You have got to be kidding me.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good to see to be honest. It was never the DEVS saying that it would take days of modding to run offline, it was the Directors saying this, making it a farce. One of the UK employees of EA that I know (primarily deals with motion detection bits for Fifa), said that the directors ruin a lot of things. For a while now, the fifa creators (as well as Madden in the US) have been saying to release one game, and sell a yearly update for £40 which includes updates for ultimate team as well as teams available. This would increase the longevity of a game, allow less servers to be updated to run and allow for graphics updates every 3 years which actually make a vast difference, instead of the incremental stuff every year.

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Recently joined (Hi folks), and this caught my attention.

I'm 'trying' (being the key word) to play this, but it's kind of dull single player, thus i'm looking for any active players?

Sunnyknight123 - Origin Id.

See you around.

Thank Post
    Despite all the DRM, its actually quite a good game.

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    To be frank, i totally dislike the area of land you start out with for a city. FAR too small. May have to develop a 3 way city (1 city for resi / 1 for comm / 1 for indust). Do love how you can follow the Police action / Fire incidents though.

Second major issue is not being able to claim a city on a server :s (12 days later, EA still working on it).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast