+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, SimCity 2013 in Fun Stuff; It doesnt suprise me with EA and their attitude to DRM and support of games, they have always had the ...
    Thank Post
    It doesnt suprise me with EA and their attitude to DRM and support of games, they have always had the attitude "We have your money, now f*** off"

All the BF games have been popular, but its had large documented periods of support being absolutely terrible on those games and patching them, they may make some truly great games but their attitude as a company really is awful when it comes to their customers, I think from the various games of theirs I have played over the years. The whole issue of DRM has put me completely off Simcity here and I used to enjoy the games in the series.

Thank Post
    never played the SIM CITY games. Only just decided to have a read and they sound brilliant I don't know where I have been the last god knows how many years. Was looking at the new one but i've decided to hold back buying it at the minute and I have bought Sim City 4 to have a play and get used to the whole concept. The graphics look amazing on the 2013 version. Just looking online and they charge up to 10 more for a digital download? How do they justify that?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As someone else said to me - convenience tax.

Also, you can get it cheaper from Amazon (or Game, Gamestop or basically any other retailer) than Origin.

Thank Post
    yeah I was look at either game or blockbuster website. Have amazon started selling it again yet? I heard they stopped it due to the problems.

Thank Post
    Last I heard Amazon were still not selling it in the UK. US they had started digital download sales again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Last I heard Amazon were still not selling it in the UK. US they had started digital download sales again.
    Now comes with a disclaimer
    _66274447_amazonsim.jpg

Thank Post
    It is a great game, but bear in mind that they are currently patching it "aggressively" to deal with various issues.
    Currently the issue that is most annoying me is that in order to deal with server stability they essentially disabled some of the region play functionality. Seemingly however this is only affecting people intermittently.
    So you can start a city and then, when you get to the point that you need to buy your waste coverage from a neighbour, try to do so and nothing happens.

I am sure they'll sort it out though.
    To give "some" of the EA staff their dues, since the EU servers came online it seems like they are actually reacting to issues now rather than just appearing to sit back and count the money.
    Server numbers have tripled since Friday morning.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know of a streamer who was streaming to 9k+ people every day playing it. He developed city after city, and each time he got anywhere, the servers would go down and he'd lose his cities.

He has now uninstalled the game and advised everyone to do the same.

Not exactly a good advert to those 9k people watching!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Not exactly a good advert to those 9k people watching!!!
    I believe the term "PR Catastrophe" has been bandied around as a fair summation.

Thank Post
    Friend got it last week, still unable to play it.

Thank Post
    Hmm.
    I was planning on getting it today.
    I may get it but hold off installing it (shame )
    From what I have seen it looks like an outstanding game and I do like city builders (ever since Ceaser 3)
    Just a crying shame its being let down by technical issues.

Thank Post
    I've just bought it! but i'm going to hold on for a week or two see if the system improves.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Nobody crashes anymore! because nobody can login...

I don't own SimCity 2013, I used to own.. I think it was SimCity 2000? It was a nice time-killer, but not something I'd spend big bucks on. Glad I didn't, given this always-on DRM lark (I really hoped after the Diablo3 fiasco this would be the last we'd see of it, but game companies never learn, do they? I'm sure Blizzard will give always-on DRM another try sometime down the line and bork it up just as badly then, too, just like EA didn't learn from Spore..)

Seems like EA had these problems during the beta and didn't bother to fix them, and, in my opinion, are being nothing short of entirely unreasonable in not issuing immediate refunds to players requesting them. You have been sold a product, and that product has not lived up to its end of the bargain, and that's EA's fault. EA have promised a service they are now not issuing. If it was 'Our servers fell over, because too many users fried the network cards. We've got new ones on the way, sit tight!' that might have been different, but this is something they were previously aware of and chose to ignore. People reported these problems during the beta, and EA didn't think to add more server capacity before launching? That is grossly unacceptable.

It's a rotten shame that people who didn't buy direct from EA can get refunds (Amazon etc) but others can't. I'm not one to jump on the 'HurrDurr Boycott' brigade, as that never lasts and just sounds silly, but I'm very much one to agree with 'Vote with your wallet.' Demand that refund in any and every way possible. Enough people adamant they will settle for nothing less (no, none of this 15% off or 'store credit' lark!) and they'll have to fall in line. Maybe it'll take a few people to issue chargebacks and get their Origin banned before the ball starts rolling, but it needs to. We, as gamers, have the power to demand that this sort of thing stops. But we, as gamers, are collectively too damn lazy to stick to our guns. "No, I hate always-on DRM!" we cried, but still bought the game anyway. Stop doing it, it only teaches companies like EA and Blizzard that you'll just buy it anyway and grumble a little. I very much enjoyed Diablo and Diablo 2, but the always-on DRM was one of the deciding factors of me not purchasing Diablo 3. I'm not saying that makes me 'better' than anybody else, not by a long shot, I just don't see why gamers don't put their foot down more.

EA are currently being incompetent, irresponsible and down-right immoral douchewaffles - but we keep allowing them to be, so we really can't complain too much.

(Related: The same applies for buying games without demos for their pre-order bonuses. Stop it. Stop it now. It hurts the gaming industry and it promotes building your game, then removing part of it for use as a 'bonus', instead of keeping it in for everybody and fleshing out the game more. But I've completely veered off on a different tangent now, so I'm going to hush. TotalBiscuit did a vid about it, I'd recommend people watch it.)

Thank Post
    Friend bought it. Built a city. Crashed. Logged in again on another server and had to start from scratch.

Xbox / ps take note. The "Internet" just isn't ready for always on connections for games. Be that the servers or people's home connections.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast