+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, SimCity 2013 in Fun Stuff; I tried to click buy this morning, Server error . I see endless posts of people having issues connecting. I ...
    Thank Post
    I tried to click buy this morning, Server error . I see endless posts of people having issues connecting. I am really tempted to just not bother, i am dying to play this game so much but part of me really does not want to support EA for using DRM by buying this game, great looking game wrecked by a bad company.

Thank Post
    out of curiosity with their other drm online only games what happens when they turn off the server do they patch it so you can play anyway or is that it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,002 Times in 1,376 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    out of curiosity with their other drm online only games what happens when they turn off the server do they patch it so you can play anyway or is that it?
    That's it. If it's popular enough then you have private servers you can use. Otherwise, ypu have to hope someone reverse engineers it. Like people are trying to do with matrix online.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    Depends. SIMS 2 online functionality was just cut off, end of. Dunno if there's any reverse engineering stuff going on to try and get something back but there's no private servers that I know of.

That's one of the things with DRM - always online DRM is a relatively new thing, so we haven't really seen a massive amount of fallout from it yet. Yes, there have been online games where servers have been shut down, and there are games with online requirements but most of them have offline modes.

For example, Anno 2070 has an always on requirement, but it also allows you to play games just fine offline, just with the online functionality disabled.

See, if Sim City was < £30, I probably would buy it, DRM or not. The issues will be solved eventually but the prices I've seen just don't make me want to pay for something that might stop working.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,003 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Depends. SIMS 2 online functionality was just cut off, end of. Dunno if there's any reverse engineering stuff going on to try and get something back but there's no private servers that I know of.
    Any attempt to reverse engineer the server will likely be shot down in the courts, as Blizzard did with bnetd. And even though it would be reverse-engineering solely so people could continue to enjoy the product and not for profit, I can guarantee you 100% that EA would still sue the backside off it, just as a corporate knee-jerk and to avoid setting a precedent. These are companies that fight abandonware, after all; products they have actively taken off sale so cannot possibly be losing money from, yet still they will threaten with takedowns.

Game publishers are becoming altogether too much like music publishers at the moment

Thank Post
    in that case there is 0 chance of my buying it. I like being able to get out an old game and replay. At the moment my dreamcast is hooked up again and im playing crazy taxi and msr and other old games i dont want to not be able to play a game in teh future if i still have a machine capable of it because someones worried about it being copied. Yes games get copied and its "wrong" but if you charge £40+ for it what do you expect esp as i cant remember the last time i got a game that diddnt then need patches downloading (nfs on my xbox requires a 2gb patch but as my internet is 1mb (granted i have a 3g dongle thats faster but only get 15gb allowance)it will take a long time)

Thank Post

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To be fair, they are threatening a chargeback which is different to a refund. It's very common with games companies to ban or heavily restrict accounts that initiate chargebacks as they cause a lot of headaches and in some cases are carried out fraudulently. NCSoft banned a COH player after he did a chargeback when it shut down and as angry as the playerbase was with the company, they still supported the ban as he basically stole 6 months of sub time!

But I do agree that games companies are pulling a music company attitude and showing considerably less and less respect to their customers. I foresee another mass market crash if they keep it up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,435 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bring on the crash. I have given up buying EA sports games as I cannot complete the online content as and when I want too, however their battlefield games, they're still going strong. Not sure how long I have left to get 20 destruction kills, but I am certainly trying!

Thank Post
    What are people thinking of the game so far?

I have played on it for a couple of hours so far. Thankfully I haven't had to wait for much longer than a couple of minutes to join a server. This doesn't mean that it has been plain sailing either. The game has crashed on me a couple of times. It keeps on loosing connection to the servers when playing

My origin gamer tag is:benjie500

Does anyone want to start a region.

P.s. I have been using the European west 4 server.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If anyone does want it, Gamestop have the standard edition for £32.97 which includes a free mouse mat. SimCity for PC at GameStop

Or GamesLoad have the Limited Edition download for £39.99. http://www.gamesload.co.uk/game/simc...on-753918.html

Seems the worst place to buy it is Origin!
    Last edited by localzuk; 9th March 2013 at 09:22 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Any attempt to reverse engineer the server will likely be shot down in the courts, as Blizzard did with bnetd. And even though it would be reverse-engineering solely so people could continue to enjoy the product and not for profit, I can guarantee you 100% that EA would still sue the backside off it, just as a corporate knee-jerk and to avoid setting a precedent. These are companies that fight abandonware, after all; products they have actively taken off sale so cannot possibly be losing money from, yet still they will threaten with takedowns.

opensource version of the game server released as source code will fair just fine,

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,724 Times in 2,009 Posts
    EA Employee Chastises Company Over Sim City in Public Letter

To the executives at EA, from one of your employees

I am deeply embarrassed by the troubled launch of Sim City and I hope you are too. When I walk around our campus and look at the kind of talent we've collected, the amenities we have access to and the opportunities working at such a big company affords us, I canít imagine how for release after release, EA continues to make the same embarrassing, anti-consumer mistakes. We should be better than this. You should not be failing us so badly.

Another thing I see when I walk around our campus are massive banners that display what are said to be our company values. They are on posters on every floor, included in company-wide emails and hanging above the cafeteria in bright colors. You even print them on our coffee mugs so we see them every day. But somehow when planning the launch of Sim City, you threw them all out the window.

Most important of the values you are ignoring is Think Consumers First. What part of the Sim City DRM scheme, which has rendered the game unplayable for hundreds of thousands of fans across the globe, demonstrates that you are thinking about consumers before you are thinking about yourselves? Does ďfirstĒ mean something different in boardrooms than it does to the rest of us? Does the meaning of that word change when you get the word ďexecutiveĒ in front of your title?

You canít even pretend that you didn't know consumers would be angry about this. Common sense aside, consumers complained about this during your public betas. In fact, when one of them posted his criticisms on the forums, he was banned! You tried to silence your critics. The same thing is happening now as users write in to demand refunds. What part of this behaviour aligns with our company value to Be Accountable?

What you've demonstrated with this launch is that our corporate management does not believe in our core values. They are for the unwashed masses, not for the important people who forced this anti-consumer DRM onto the Sim City team. This DRM scheme is not about the consumers or even about piracy. Itís about covering your own asses. It allows you to hand-wave weak sales or bad reviews and blame outside factors like pirates or server failures in the event the game struggles. You are protecting your own jobs at the expense of consumers. I think this violates the Act With Integrity value I'm looking at on my own coffee mug right now.

On behalf of your other employees, Iíd like to ask you to fix this. Allow the Sim City team to patch the game to run offline. If Create Quality and Innovation is still a core value that you believe in, then this shouldn't be a hard decision. Games that gamers canít play because of server overload or ISP issues are NOT quality. Be Bold by giving the consumers what they want and take accountability for the mistake.

Finally Iíd like to ask you to follow the last company value on the list in the future: Learn and Grow. When you made this mistake with Spore, the company and all your employees suffered for it. You didn't learn from that mistake and you are making it again with Sim City.

So please, learn from this debacle. Donít do this again. Grow into better leaders and actually apply our company values when you make decisions. Donít just use them as tools to motivate your staff. With the money, talent and intellectual property available to EA, we should be leading the industry into a golden age of consumer-focused game publishing. Instead weíre the most reviled game publisher in the world. Thatís your fault. Things can only change if you actually start following the company values and apply them to every title we launch.

Sincerely,
    A Disappointed But Hopeful Artist at EARS

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They're not wrong! EA Games should be seen as the best games company around, but they are nearly universally hated. They really need to fix that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,720 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    They're not wrong! EA Games should be seen as the best games company around, but they are nearly universally hated. They really need to fix that.
    +1 they must actively be trying to sabotage it given the talent and resources at their disposal.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast