+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, SimCity 2013 in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by CAM That's why I am glad the UK is last on the release schedule. US can iron ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    That's why I am glad the UK is last on the release schedule. US can iron out the bugs for us.

Though lets be honest, what online game hasn't had trouble in the first few days? WoW was plagued with problems for months but grew into one of the biggest games to ever be released. Yeah SimCity is a bit weird, it's a city simulator with MMO-style features in. I do think the anti-online crowd are going a bit far though. You cannot read anything without someone reciting the same thing again and again and again, with HUKD and Metacritic getting bombed by people who haven't even played it!

There are a lot of reasons for online and how it works though:
    - Regional effects. If you are a bad neighbour and have high crime and high pollution, other cities in your region, likely your friends, will be affected by it.
    - Inter-city services. If your bad neighbour has high crime or high pollution, volunteer some Police or Garbage trucks to clean it up and earn some money in return.
    - Regional resource trade for city "wonders" which requires cities to contribute so many resources.
    - Global resource trade on the Global Market. You aren't playing one region, you are playing the entire world. If none of your neighbours have use for stockpiled resources you can buy/sell on the market. Important as a city may not have all the resources required.

It's really easy to look at the game and go "Single player city simulator, no online needed." But I can see from the devs point of view for their reasoning behind an online service and I agree with it for once. I thought the same until I watched videos of the game and the recent Lets All Be Mayor series and there is so much interconnection between cities that even if you were able to go offline, you'd be missing out on a huge part of the game. This isn't the single player Simcity of past titles, it's a new genre of Massively Multiplayer Online City Simulator Game (MMOSCG?).

For the record: Not an EA fanboy. Hate how they operate for the most part, but feel the community might be making a storm in a teacup over this one.
    One reviewer managed to foul up their city and I think abandoned it and the other reviewer on their map was absolutely shafted. I think the first reviewer was running the power station and when it crumbled the other city had no power so its whole economy flat lined. This isn't what I want from a game, that someone else can radically change my experience and kill my creation. If someone goes for coal mining to make a quick buck suddenly I get the health implications. Yes have an online component that people can play but have it so I can beaver away creating my almighty metropolis peacefully in the corner. I know you can do that by marking your region as private/secret but why then do I need to be on line.

Which also brings me on to the city sizes. They are tiny. SimTown, not SimCity.

I'll dig out the review that had the reviewers at odds.
    EDIT: Here it is on Kotaku
    Last edited by TechMonkey; 6th March 2013 at 03:13 PM.

Thank Post
    I like the idea of other players having an impact on the City that you build.
    I have played alot of city builders and I have found that they can lose there challenge pretty quickly once you work out the best way of building a city.

With this MMO element, not only do you have to find the best way of building a city but you have to adapt tp what another player has done on another part of the map. Adds an extra challenge to keep your city alive and profitable.

Plus I hope they get SIMcopter(?) back.

Thank Post
    I'm still going to get it if my Mac will run it. & SIMcopter would be a bonus, I actually loved that game!!

Thank Post
    Simcopter, that brings back memories
    copter9.gif

What graphics!

http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/...im-copter-usa/

As best as I can tell its abandonware, please remove the link if anyone knows otherwise! ([PROTECTED] until October 31st, 2011 by Electronic Arts, Inc.)
    Last edited by CHR1S; 6th March 2013 at 03:42 PM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    One reviewer managed to foul up their city and I think abandoned it and the other reviewer on their map was absolutely shafted. I think the first reviewer was running the power station and when it crumbled the other city had no power so its whole economy flat lined. This isn't what I want from a game, that someone else can radically change my experience and kill my creation. If someone goes for coal mining to make a quick buck suddenly I get the health implications. Yes have an online component that people can play but have it so I can beaver away creating my almighty metropolis peacefully in the corner. I know you can do that by marking your region as private/secret but why then do I need to be on line.

Which also brings me on to the city sizes. They are tiny. SimTown, not SimCity.

I'll dig out the review that had the reviewers at odds.
    EDIT: Here it is on Kotaku
    Seems like a bonus for me. Keep a backup plan, don't bust all your money on shiny toys and save a bit for when the fan turns a queasy shade.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,613 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The day I pay £64.99 for a game will be the day I am sent to the loony bin (note: this does not include Anno games)...

Thank Post
    The Anno games are great.

Thank Post
    You can get for £35. £65 is for the Deluxe version from Origin. I think even Amazon are doing the Deluxe version cheaper

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 868 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EA really are taking the biscuit these days. This is another one of many thousands of legitimate complaints about SimCity and Origin:

http://imgur.com/gallery/lAnTGEM

I don't understand why EA, as big as they are, can't make Origin work in this day and age. I mean how difficult is it, when a relatively tiny company like Valve could make Steam work back in the days when the majority used 56k modems.... It's all a farce designed to stop people pirating the game and it also ruins their reputation, the gameplay for the users. It's diabolical and the sooner they realise that, the better. I've yet to install my copy even though it cost me nothing, and I've also stopped liaising with them for PR events on IRC (leaving it to a colleague). I can't bear to work with that class of git.

Thank Post
    Sounds like The War Z all over again...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    I can't wait until I start hearing about EVE levels of shenanigans from this...
    Create city with nuclear power plant.
    Sell power to others in the region.
    Wait until they buy something that you know will almost exhaust their funds.
    Shut down power plant, leaving the cities with no power, and now crime and fires.

I've seen some evil suggestions on my travels around the internets :P

OT Though, not a game I've ever really played much of, so I doubt I'll pick it up unless I see it dirt cheap like Steam did with Sim City 4. Although I do like the idea of being able to sell power, services, etc to other cities.

Thank Post
    Sounds like an average day on Eve Online. Basically be very careful of who you trust.

But once you know u can trust them could turn out to be an amazing experience.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,613 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From what I've heard, they have 4 more DLC packs planned for it too, on top of those in the deluxe pack at the moment. They will be sold at $20 each...

Not to mention, EA have a habit of turning off servers after a relatively short time. In some examples, they turned them off within a year or 2. (Fifa 2011 for example).

So, if you fancy putting that much money into a game that will more than likely be completely unusable in a couple of years, feel free!

I just don't get why they are behaving like this, you get more customers if you treat them right...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,914 Times in 2,145 Posts

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I saw that last night but it appears Amazon have put it back on according to that link. US only though (Guess they are wary of EU consumer rights being far more in favour of the customer these days ).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast