+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, SimCity 2013 in Fun Stuff; We have to wait until Friday, but only one more day until our US members get hold of it and ...
    CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have to wait until Friday, but only one more day until our US members get hold of it and can give us their previews. Hint hint.

By the way, are we interested in starting a region?

Thank Post
    preordered

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 782 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Already got it, friend at EA gifted me a copy last night. Haven't installed or played yet - he might be a friend but EA can go hang. Might give it a go next week if I cba. I found 2000 just the right mix between simplicity, fun and realism and everything afterwards was just too much. I hear this one takes it back a notch so I may give it some time, if I can get round EA's lack of scruples.

Thank Post
    Nerd³ Doesn't Play... SimCity - YouTube Nice rant about online DRM and being forced online at all times, no save files, servers shutting down when new release comes out and all other things to give a different opinion on this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexPilot View Post
    Nerd³ Doesn't Play... SimCity - YouTube Nice rant about online DRM and being forced online at all times, no save files, servers shutting down when new release comes out and all other things to give a different opinion on this.
    thats one of the things that worries me server requires downloading a 1gb udpdate my internet is 1mb max so i need to leave pc on all night to get an update so i can play a game for 5 mins

Thank Post
    It's not going well apparently. 30 mins wait to join a server, even in the middle of the night before the masses woke up. Some that pre-ordered found their keys wouldn't unlock yet those that bought there and then would work. Total meltdown! Hurrah.

Thank Post
    EA are making a mess of most things these days and this sounds no different. The mussis likes the Sim City games, but after seeing on Origin that it's £45 for the standard game, £65 for the Deluxe edition, they can go and burn.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That's why I am glad the UK is last on the release schedule. US can iron out the bugs for us.

Though lets be honest, what online game hasn't had trouble in the first few days? WoW was plagued with problems for months but grew into one of the biggest games to ever be released. Yeah SimCity is a bit weird, it's a city simulator with MMO-style features in. I do think the anti-online crowd are going a bit far though. You cannot read anything without someone reciting the same thing again and again and again, with HUKD and Metacritic getting bombed by people who haven't even played it!

There are a lot of reasons for online and how it works though:
    - Regional effects. If you are a bad neighbour and have high crime and high pollution, other cities in your region, likely your friends, will be affected by it.
    - Inter-city services. If your bad neighbour has high crime or high pollution, volunteer some Police or Garbage trucks to clean it up and earn some money in return.
    - Regional resource trade for city "wonders" which requires cities to contribute so many resources.
    - Global resource trade on the Global Market. You aren't playing one region, you are playing the entire world. If none of your neighbours have use for stockpiled resources you can buy/sell on the market. Important as a city may not have all the resources required.

It's really easy to look at the game and go "Single player city simulator, no online needed." But I can see from the devs point of view for their reasoning behind an online service and I agree with it for once. I thought the same until I watched videos of the game and the recent Lets All Be Mayor series and there is so much interconnection between cities that even if you were able to go offline, you'd be missing out on a huge part of the game. This isn't the single player Simcity of past titles, it's a new genre of Massively Multiplayer Online City Simulator Game (MMOSCG?).

For the record: Not an EA fanboy. Hate how they operate for the most part, but feel the community might be making a storm in a teacup over this one.

Thank Post
    Didn't buy Diablo, wont be buying this.

Maybe I'm getting weird as I'm ageing but I have spent more time (and had more enjoyment tbh) playing Mario Cart on the Wii with the OH recently than almost any game brought out in the last year or more, bar Saints Row.

I love the Sim genre but this does not really appeal to me now its added the online element.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't wait until I start hearing about EVE levels of shenanigans from this...

Thank Post
    Played the closed beta. Didn't click with me, so I'll continue playing SimCity 4.

I recorded footage but the NDA was still in effect. They lifted it and I didn't notice, was planning on making a video about it but was beaten to it by the interwebs.

Instead I wrote an article about it, which is summed up in my first sentence ^. I'll probably pick it up when it crashes in price (if that ever happens with EA).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ars weren't very impressed, and I've got to say, whilst I knew from previews that the city size was going to be smaller, I wasn't ready for this much smaller.

With always-on DRM that is currently broken, I fear I'll be skipping this now. Which is a shame, as the GlassBox engine sounded very cool early on, and it looks gorgeous, and it's been ages since a proper SimCity... but alas, this will fail due to all its crippling stupidities, and then EA will decide it didn't sell because there's no demand for SimCity games, and we'll go another ten years without one.

A point to ponder on the always-online: even if you think it does add to the game (I remain unconvinced), EA have a habit of shutting down game servers after only two years of release. I can still play Sim City 2000 today, nearly twenty years on; I'll be surprised if this Sim City is running in 2016

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 1,406 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder...do I rebuild Nephilopolis...hmmm

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well it looks like the situation has been getting worse. Lost cities, people still unable to connect, the game appearing in libraries up to 3 hours after activation with no message and the gaming press going from praising the game to labelling the launch as "A complete PR disaster."

Well done EA. I can't see it being fixed in time for the UK release at the end of the week somehow.

Thank Post
    Ive got it, count me in for EduIsland

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast