+ Post New Thread
Gaming Thread, NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN - The World's Fastest Single GPU Graphics Card in Fun Stuff; It should be 40-60% faster than a GTX 680. Anyone getting one? We're not allowed to release performance results of ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts

NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN - The World's Fastest Single GPU Graphics Card

It should be 40-60% faster than a GTX 680. Anyone getting one?

We're not allowed to release performance results of the TITAN card just yet. But there's nothing stopping us from conjecturing on probable performance. Basic horsepower, pulled from the table on the first page, indicates that TITAN has around 50 per cent more oomph than a GTX 680 once we've accounted for the lower core clocks. Understanding that the architecture is, for all intents and purposes, the same as GTX 680 leads us to believe that high-resolution, high IQ performance - what this card is designed for - will be between 40-60 per cent faster than said GTX 680.

Splitting it down the middle, a 50 per cent uptick clearly makes TITAN NVIDIA's fastest-ever consumer GPU, especially once GPU Boost v2.0's settings have been optimised for performance. Assuming the performance predictions hold true, TITAN is set to become the fastest single-GPU card around, beating Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition into second place. And if you believe NVIDIA, it should be whisper-quiet while demolishing all other single-GPU cards.

There's little point in considering this card, or multiple cards, if you game at 1,920x1,080. This is the sort of hardware that's begging to be attached to a premium 4K display. A single-card price tag of £825 or so is also verging on the ludicrous, frankly, but NVIDIA isn't planning to sell tens of thousands of these; performance leadership is perhaps more important. Really, this card should be no more than £599, if that, but NVIDIA follows the Intel Extreme Edition pricing path and charges an exorbitant amount for a card that, it seems, has no performance peer.

Cutting past the hyperbole and stratospheric pricing, the real question on most enthusiasts' lips is whether this one single-GPU card is man enough to play Crysis 3 at high-quality settings. We'll let you know in due course. (Source)

Could TITAN also be used as a 'cheap' graphics card for CAD?

Who’s Titan For, Anyhow?
    Having established performance expectations, let’s talk about where Titan fits into NVIDIA’s product stack. First and foremost, though Titan is most certainly geared in part as a gaming video card (and that’s largely how we’ll be looking at it), that’s not the only role it serves. Titan is also going to be NVIDIA’s entry-level compute card. We’ll dive more into why that is in a bit in our feature breakdown, but the biggest factor is that for the first time on any consumer-level NVIDIA card, double precision (FP64) performance is uncapped. That means 1/3 FP32 performance, or roughly 1.3TFLOPS theoretical FP64 performance. NVIDIA has taken other liberties to keep from this being treated as a cheap Tesla K20, but for lighter workloads it should fit the bill.

As compared to the server and high-end workstation market that Tesla carves out, NVIDIA will be targeting the compute side of Titan towards researchers, engineers, developers, and others who need access to (relatively) cheap FP64 performance, and don’t need the scalability or reliability that Tesla brings. To that end Titan essentially stands alone in NVIDIA’s product stack; the next thing next to a FP64-constrained consumer card is the much more expensive Tesla K20. (Source)

Thank Post
    At £827 on Ebuyer, I will only dream of owning such awesomeness! However, if I win the lottery, I WILL be getting a rig with 6 of those SLI'ed right up!!!

Asus GTX TITAN 6GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort.. | Ebuyer.com

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    TBH, I'm not much of an Nvidia fan after finding out their updater creates an [admin?] account on your computer.

Thank Post
    You could build a fairly good gaming rig for the price of that!!

Thank Post

Thank Post
    nVidia's FaceWorks demo on the Titan looks impressive. Imagine how good Bruce Willis would look if someone made a Die Hard game.

Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    TBH, I'm not much of an Nvidia fan after finding out their updater creates an [admin?] account on your computer.
    The updater didn't create an admin account. The vulnerability enabled privilege escalation on domain-joined PCs, so for home users was pretty much a non-issue. AMD are just as bad in terms of security btw.

...the vulnerability is difficult to exploit because it mostly affects domain-based machine, and the machines in question would have to have relaxed firewall rules and need to be able to share files. An attacker could exploit the vulnerability in two ways: with local access they could escalate privileges to root giving them full control over the machine; or remotely against machines on the same Windows domain if the user running Nvidia has enabled file sharing from their machine or has disabled their firewall, remote access can be gained. (Source)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    US only but looks nice
    Maingear does make some nice looking gaming PCs. The one you linked to uses a modified Silverstone FT02 case.

I think Falcon Northwest's Tiki gaming PC looks really good too (and can be configured with a Titan graphics card, despite its size).

Last edited by Arthur; 23rd March 2013 at 08:12 PM.

Thank Post
    No No No

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    To be quite honest, i might wait 3 - 4 months or so, then order one.

Was thinking about sli-ng my gtx 680, but seeing this, it's a must get! (When it's round the £700 mark).

Future proof for about... 3 years i'd say.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    I might wait 3-4 months or so
    The Titan-based GTX 780 is out this month...

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Launches on 23rd May, GeForce GTX 770 Scheduled for May 30th

Thank Post
    I've been keeping an eye of the info regarding this as I'm tempted to upgrade from my current GTX 470. The initial rumours suggest that the GTX780 will be a cut-down TITAN and the GTX770 will be a tarted up GTX 680.

The fly in the ointment is that with the GTX780 being based on the £900 TITAN card I suspect Nvidia will likely price it a good deal higher than their existing GTX680 which retails for around £350-400.

Hmm, Intel's new Haswell CPU's are out in June so I'm thinking a whole system upgrade could be on the cards this year. Better get saving
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 5th May 2013 at 07:56 PM.

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    Hmm, Intel's new Haswell CPU's are out in June so I'm thinking a whole system upgrade could be on the cards this year. Better get saving
    Hope you got the £££ for those.
    Last edited by Sunnyknight; 7th May 2013 at 08:08 AM.

Thank Post
    Nvidia intros GeForce GTX 780 and ShadowPlay to record your gaming exploits automatically

Nvidia's GeForce Experience software is starting to do quite a few things. It cleverly optimizes your game settings. It fetches new graphics drivers. It even streams games from your gaming rig to Nvidia's new Shield handheld. And this week, alongside the launch of the GeForce GTX 780 — the company's latest graphics card — Nvidia's training it to do something new: constantly record video footage of your gameplay so that when you pull off a crazy virtual stunt, you can share it with the world. It seems like good timing, considering how the Microsoft Xbox One and Sony PlayStation 4 look to be integrating similar features right now.

Nvidia calls it ShadowPlay, and it's a feature coming this summer to all of Nvidia's Kepler-based GPUs, allowing you to have your system constantly recording up to the last 20 minutes of whatever you've done on your computer. It uses the H.264 video encoder built right into Kepler to do its work, which keeps it from being such a drag on performance when you're playing.

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread