+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, PS4 Announced in Fun Stuff; The best example of the arbitrary nature of XBox Live was the need for a Gold account to use Netflix. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The best example of the arbitrary nature of XBox Live was the need for a Gold account to use Netflix. What has Netflix got to do with XBL? If anything, tying it down like that was a worse service because it prevented you from using that account elsewhere (playing a Games for Windows Live game on the PC) as an account could only be logged on in one location. The more you used your account and invested in services for it, the more you were punished.

EDIT: in summary, MS full of hubris, Sony offering a better device for a better price, but PC still best
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 11th June 2013 at 01:31 PM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The problem is even a private server needs to phone home at some point. Counter-Strike would phone home to the WONID service and later Steam even though the servers were privately run and could be set up by anyone. These days the chat system, achievements and matchmaking all require a connection to the platform servers to pass messages on, add friends, handle notifications and so forth. Servers also pass metrics, anti-cheat and lobby information back to publishers. Even if developers handled their own multiplayer systems, you would still have to connect to the platform for these services.

I do prefer Steam's method though. You get trading cards that you ignore and not pay a penny whilst someone else buys the cards and Steam gets a cut of sale and you get some spare change in your pocket if you sell your cards. It's pennies but adds up on a macro scale.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's no longer a PS+ feature and open to all - happy days! (on PS4)

Less than £5 per month and you get a free game every month! Is it really too much for Sony to ask for to provide an additional service? Good old "everything has to be free on the Internet". Sony could always not have an online component and leave it entirely up to individual game devs to sort it out themselves. How much did someone say the PC CoD servers cost a few posts back?
    Yes when the service is poor and falls over every time a new game / download comes out, when your details get leaked after hacks and so on. Then on top the publishers add their own servers (yes EA I mean you) that are even worse.

As someone said above it's not like you even get dedicated servers or anything worthwhile, only the cost.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 998 Posts
    If you got one gtx titan for aprox £900 and then a reasonable mobo, 4gb ddr3 ram, dual core i5 cpu or even an amd and a psu + case, optical drive and a 250 gb 7,200 rpm hdd. How much would that come to ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    As someone said above it's not like you even get dedicated servers or anything worthwhile, only the cost.
    I think @CAM made a good point as to what you are paying for...

Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    These days the chat system, achievements and matchmaking all require a connection to the platform servers to pass messages on, add friends, handle notifications and so forth. Servers also pass metrics, anti-cheat and lobby information back to publishers. Even if developers handled their own multiplayer systems, you would still have to connect to the platform for these services.
    Even these servers need maintenance and bandwidth.

Personally it doesn't bother me either way. I extremely rarely play multiplayer. That, and I'd happily pay out for PS+ whether or not the online gaming are included or free. I think there's more than enough value in plus without the multiplayer component.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,117 Times in 1,453 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally it doesn't bother me either way. I extremely rarely play multiplayer. That, and I'd happily pay out for PS+ whether or not the online gaming are included or free. I think there's more than enough value in plus without the multiplayer component.
    Don't get me wrong, PS+ does look like it's worth it.

I just don't agree with sticking parts of a game behind an additional pay wall.

Take CoD for example... 90% of the game is multiplayer, but it's locked unless you pay Microsoft.

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    If you got one gtx titan for aprox £900 and then a reasonable mobo, 4gb ddr3 ram, dual core i5 cpu or even an amd and a psu + case, optical drive and a 250 gb 7,200 rpm hdd. How much would that come to ?
    I don't... why would...

Get x1 690 £400 - 500? , i73930k (£280 - 300), Asus mobo (any) (£200), 16gb ddr3 2011mhz ram (£200 - 300), 1000w psu (£180), Nzxt case (£100), HDD/SSD (£70-£200 / £100 - 300), optical drive (£20 - 40?)

You're looking at £1450+. Futureproof for about... 3 years, pushing it (personal opinion).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Given that that's a completely different spec to a PS4... does it matter? A 7850 on an E350 motherboard with 8GB RAM & 500GB HDD would be the closest point of comparison (granted, that CPU is lower spec, but the new Jaguar cores aren't available as a component yet). I'd warrant you could match the hardware for the same cost, and the only difference in price would come from the Windows licence.

EDIT @Sunnyknight - three years? That's about 2-4x the spec of the generation of consoles that isn't out yet, that should blow them away for their entire lifespan.
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 11th June 2013 at 02:31 PM.

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Given that that's a completely different spec to a PS4... does it matter? A 7850 on an E350 motherboard with 8GB RAM & 500GB HDD would be the closest point of comparison (granted, that CPU is lower spec, but the new Jaguar cores aren't available as a component yet). I'd warrant you could match the hardware for the same cost, and the only difference in price would come from the Windows licence.

EDIT @Sunnyknight - three years? That's about 2-4x the spec of the generation of consoles that isn't out yet, that should blow them away for their entire lifespan.
    @sonofsanta Oh, i was just generalizing on how long a pc spec would last for pc games lol. In comparison to Consoles, 100% agree on your comment. The day they MATCH pc specs in a nice cuddly box, is the day i perma switch to a console.

Thank Post
    I just wanted to see what you could get in a pc spec wise if u are building from scratch. Thinking around the £600 mark ex the gpu

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I actually tried to price up an equivalent spec PC on eBuyer and found it very, very difficult. I think I came in at just under £1000 for both a CPU and GPU that are arguably better but I wasn't sure about the RAM split and I'm not sure if current PC GPU's can do graphics and general calculations in parallel.

I maintain the PS4 is a better spec system that some give it credit for. Besides what the hell would I want a GTX Titan for anyway? Useless without the 30" 4K monitor to go with it - I just want to play games on my 1080p TV.

Thank Post
    Besides what the hell would I want a GTX Titan for anyway? Useless without the 30" 4K monitor to go with it - I just want to play games on my 1080p TV.
    Wait till they release a 4k hd tv

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,094 Times in 842 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just wanted to see what you could get in a pc spec wise if u are building from scratch. Thinking around the £600 mark ex the gpu
    Woah there!
    £380 for an i5 3570k build, off the shelf. That's really overspeccing it and certainly more than enough to keep on top of either PS4/Xbone (but bearing in mind the arch differences and more the OS has to do)
    £150 for decent GPU - at least one that's enough to keep up with small resolutions like 1920x1080.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I just built a new PC for a friend. Based on that, you could build: AMD A8-5600K for the CPU (and a recent Anandtech article has shown that you gain no benefit in FPS from better CPUs until you are using more than one high end GPU), 8GB DDR3, 120Gb SSD + 1TB HDD, 430W Corsair PSU, Fractal Design Core 1000 case, DVDRW, wireless keyboard & Windows licence comes to £500. Add a GPU of choice (7850 @ £130 would match the PS4, 660Ti @ £215 would outpace it) and you've got a better spec machine with cheaper games available.

No-one needs a GTX Titan. Ever.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I just built a new PC for a friend. Based on that, you could build: AMD A8-5600K for the CPU (and a recent Anandtech article has shown that you gain no benefit in FPS from better CPUs until you are using more than one high end GPU), 8GB DDR3, 120Gb SSD + 1TB HDD, 430W Corsair PSU, Fractal Design Core 1000 case, DVDRW, wireless keyboard & Windows licence comes to £500. Add a GPU of choice (7850 @ £130 would match the PS4, 660Ti @ £215 would outpace it) and you've got a better spec machine with cheaper games available.

No-one needs a GTX Titan. Ever.
    Thanks !!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast