+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, PS4 Announced in Fun Stuff; ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    The (non mandatory) PSeye is going to be £44

Extra PS4 Controllers are going to be £49-£55
    On the face of it the xbox looks far more expensive than the ps4 but if you want the PSeye, which tbf (although I can't really be assed to stand up when playing a game) you really should have to make the most of the new gen console, that makes the PS4 only £35 cheaper than the xbox.

I wonder how much the xbox pads will be. If they come out at say £35 that close the gap even more.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 783 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefferzzzz View Post
    It may be more to do with the beligerant bad mood I am in today.

Where is the morality in illegally obtaining a product to use and then if you like it, you might reward the person who created that product?
    Physical products have laws that state you can return products for that reason. Game demo's are getting increasingly worse and some studios don't even bother with them. I certainly don't waste £25 (yeah, that's £25 for a AAA title, not £55 - sorry, little dig!) on a game to find it's utter turd!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    On the face of it the xbox looks far more expensive than the ps4 but if you want the PSeye, which tbf (although I can't really be assed to stand up when playing a game) you really should have to make the most of the new gen console, that makes the PS4 only £35 cheaper than the xbox.

I wonder how much the xbox pads will be. If they come out at say £35 that close the gap even more.
    No-one needs the PSeye. Good decision to leave it out, most people don't want these silly add-ons.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 11th June 2013 at 12:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Physical products have laws that state you can return products for that reason.
    No they dont. You cannot return something under law just because you dont like it. Some stores will do it out of 'customer service' but they are not obliged to.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    And none of those take into account people who pirate to test [Like I do. Like it > Buy it. Don't like it > delete it.] or download cracks to play what they've bought [Like I have... Stupid Uplay.]
    Thats what LoveFilm is for

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefferzzzz View Post
    It may be more to do with the beligerant bad mood I am in today.

Where is the morality in illegally obtaining a product to use and then if you like it, you might reward the person who created that product?
    Apart from the fact that morality and legality are not the same, a counterpoint: where's the morality in forcing me to pay up front for a product only to find out it doesn't work and then arguing over a refund? Perfect recent example: Sim City's botched launch, where people asking for a refund on a game they couldn't play because EA's servers were broken were threatened with having their accounts banned, therefore locking them out of other games legally bought on that account.

Other games which, incidentally, would have been safe had they been pirated. A lot of the time, a pirated product is demonstrably better than a purchased product WRT gaming. There are a few companies who have realised that the way to combat piracy is just to provide a better product than the pirates (CD Projekt of The Witcher games come to mind) but unfortunately, most are still punishing the paying customer in order to target the pirate who remains unaffected by any such measures. Similarly with movies: that damned annoying anti-piracy ad I have to sit through on every DVD and BluRay, but never on any downloaded media (or Netflix - which is why I do most of my watching through that service now).

I should say, I pay for all of my games through Steam/GOG/Humble Bundle, watch movies and episodes through Netflix and buy music from Amazon. So I am not trying to argue from an entitled "but I wants my free things!" position.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 783 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Games you buy online are (distance selling act) even for open games. It's an abused system but it's there. Point still stands though, I'm not going to be ripped off by any idiot and it's one reason I think people in general (groups of people) are muppets for letting the likes of Sony and MS dictate their future to them.
    I don't spend as much these days because of doing that but that's because I don't want to be wasting money on crap products when I have far more important things to spend money on (kids). Humble bundles and steam sales are working against me though

What are the next round of DVD anti piracy ads going to say?

"You wouldn't test drive a car?"

There's a very good reason I dislike consoles, Apple and EA Games. And it's all to do with morality and getting a fair deal for ALL involved parties.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 11th June 2013 at 12:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sounds to me as if the PS4 has even this area covered! (assuming your broadband will support it). Every game will be available digitally day 1, and every game will be playable as a limited free trial. I'm guessing they'll use Gaikai to instantly stream the trial. And I'll guess, based on my experience with PS+ on the PS3, that the trial will be time limited to an hours play.

There you go, what's your excuse for pirating now?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    On PS4? Nothing.

On PC and Xbone... Exactly the same as it always was. No demos and/or [censored] DRM.

Thank Post
    Sounds to me as if the PS4 has even this area covered! (assuming your broadband will support it). Every game will be available digitally day 1, and every game will be playable as a limited free trial. I'm guessing they'll use Gaikai to instantly stream the trial. And I'll guess, based on my experience with PS+ on the PS3, that the trial will be time limited to an hours play.

Beat me to it on Full game trails, a very good feature of PS+ right now with PS3's, but expanded more for most PS4 games.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    a very good feature of PS+
    Oops. Reason for piracy, right there.

Demos locked behind a pay wall.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I find it ironic how publishers want to crack down on piracy for being illegal yet they happily flout the law with their desires to trash the used games market. Don't think you owe these publishing outfits any respect, they lost mine years ago with their board members crowing about fleecing the public and "turning a $50 sale into a $150 sale." Or taking a profitable game and killing it then trashing the studio through arrogance (Hello NCSoft)! Don't think they care for the developers either.

Thank Post
    Think this might be the end for me and consoles now

The suits have really taken over this time - MS with mandatory spycam, phone home and 2nd hand restrictions then Sony nearly had it sorted but announce they're going to start charging for the online component... thanks but no thanks. My 360 went back in the box at the start of this year as I'd had enough of paying £35 every couple of months for the "privilege" of Xbox Live, not doing that again.

The worrying thing is the next generation of kids growing up with these consoles will see this level of monitoring and control by large companies as perfectly normal
    Last edited by gshaw; 11th June 2013 at 01:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Oops. Reason for piracy, right there.

Demos locked behind a pay wall.
    I'm pretty sure it's no longer a PS+ feature and open to all - happy days! (on PS4)

Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Think this might be the end for me and consoles now

Sony nearly had it sorted but announce they're going to start charging for the online component... thanks but no thanks.
    Less than £5 per month and you get a free game every month! Is it really too much for Sony to ask for to provide an additional service? Good old "everything has to be free on the Internet". Sony could always not have an online component and leave it entirely up to individual game devs to sort it out themselves. How much did someone say the PC CoD servers cost a few posts back?
    Last edited by tmcd35; 11th June 2013 at 01:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    I'd had enough of paying £35 every couple of months for the "privilege" of Xbox Live, not doing that again.
    I'd accept pay-for-online, if you had the option of private servers.

As in, pay £x for access to a server provided by the devs with an SLA [uptime, patch availability, community support regarding toxic players, hack blocking, wa'eva] OR you connect to/setup your own.

Good old "everything has to be free on the Internet".
    That isn't the issue.

The issue is buying a game and having part of it locked behind an additional pay wall by a company who have [censored] all to do with the server costs... If there even are any. XBL was peer to peer, but you still have to pay for it.
    Last edited by X-13; 11th June 2013 at 01:21 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast