+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, PS4 Announced in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by localzuk You cannot use 'opening week sales' as a measure. I never buy games when they first ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You cannot use 'opening week sales' as a measure. I never buy games when they first come out - I wait a few weeks at least, to check and make sure any issues get resolved first. Most PC gamers I know do the same.
    Of course you can, its a great measure, but its where sales impact is highest and where we have some actual figures. The rest is guesswork!! Have you not considered why sales figures for PC aren't released? MOST people on PC do not pay for 'their' games.

I'm a PC gamer too (among others), if I like it I'll buy it to play as soon as possible (c'mon shadowrun returns).
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 11th June 2013 at 11:11 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,454 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    MOST people on PC do not pay for 'their' games.
    [citation needed]

Thank Post
    The (non mandatory) PSeye is going to be £44

Extra PS4 Controllers are going to be £49-£55

HD is again user swapable/upgradable

Sony's PlayStation 4 Eye is a $59 add-on, PS4 packs an upgradable 500GB HDD inside (updated)

Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    [citation needed]
    2009 was Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 with 4.1 million pirated downloads in November and December 2009 – a shocking number when compared to the estimated PC sales of 300,000 in November : The truth about PC game piracy

If one quarter of the people that usually pirate [Football Manager] switch to purchasing Football Manager, the sales of the game worldwide would more than double : How Bad is PC game Piracy

Game Dev Tycoon releases own Torrent : Game dev tycoon with only 94% piracy rate
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 11th June 2013 at 11:43 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,454 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2009 was Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 with 4.1 million pirated downloads in November and December 2009 – a shocking number when compared to the estimated PC sales of 300,000 in November : The truth about PC game piracy

If one quarter of the people that usually pirate [Football Manager] switch to purchasing Football Manager, the sales of the game worldwide would more than double : How Bad is PC game Piracy

Game Dev Tycoon releases own Torrent : Game dev tycoon with only 94% piracy rate
    And none of those take into account people who pirate to test [Like I do. Like it > Buy it. Don't like it > delete it.] or download cracks to play what they've bought [Like I have... Stupid Uplay.]

There's also people who download games because it isn't available in their country.

It's not as black and white as the industry thinks it is.

Also, Game Dev Tycoon had a massive piracy rate because there are scripts to grab all new torrents. How many of those downloads were actually used to play the game?
    Last edited by X-13; 11th June 2013 at 11:56 AM.

Thank Post
    And none of those take into account people who pirate to test [Like I do. Like it > Buy it. Don't like it > delete it.] or download cracks to play what they've bought [Like I have... Stupid Uplay.]

There's also people who download games because it isn't available in their country.

It's not as black and white as the industry thinks it is.

Also, Game Dev Tycoon had a massive piracy rate because there are scripts to grab all new torrents. How many of those downloads were actually used to play the game?
    We can only work with actual figures, not hypothetical situations.

You may test, but many, many don't as can also been seen in the downloads of add on packs later. How many are really testing CoD? Pretty much the same game every year.

This level of piracy, that middle shade of grey is why consoles wont be going anywhere soon. Sure the PC will get stronger, free to play and subscription will play a big part, but lockdown consoles with low piracy rate are a safe bet for publishers.

Thank Post

As has been pointed out, piracy is automated through torrents. I've seen clients' kids with ten thousand pirated music tracks. They don't listen to them. Same'll go for games.

Of course it's easy to willy-wave about the Big Amazing Blockbuster game and how many copies it's sold, blah blah. Those super-big games that appear amidst an orgy of hype and advertising, people buy them, play their 20 hours and then get rid of them and six months later, there's another one. What's being ignored here is the Indie game market, which is truly colossal. And where do Indie game makers go? Do they rush off to the supposedly massive console markets? Nah, of course not. PC is where it's at. Look at Minecraft - released on the PC first. Yes, there's now an XBox version, but the PC is still outselling the XBox version (7 million versus 5 million sales).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,528 Times in 1,039 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Isn't the most succesful console of the last decade - the DS - also the one with the most easily pirated content? Haven't consoles been cracked at dodgy market stalls for years? Didn't the PS3 have its innermost secrets exposed for all and sundry to see?

If anything, higher piracy is often correlated with higher sales.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Isnt this thread about the PS4?

3041364-stay_on_topic.jpg

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I paid for and played Game Dev Tycoon and it was one of the worst titles I have ever played. Mind-numbingly dull slider-bar simulator, had I pirated it I wouldn't have bothered buying it. Same with SimCity, had it been possible to crack that game then I would not have touched it with a barge-pole but instead got ripped off by retail prices (thankfully a CDKey store sold it 1/3 off). This is why developers don't like the PC because they push out sub-par games which get pirated and dropped.

You will always have those that refuse to purchase anything at all on both sides. You will also get those who pirate games, realise they like it and pay. This is how the F2P market was born on PC, an Eastern gaming culture that reacts perfectly to the demo pirates. For years I thought STO wasn't worth paying for after buying the title at retail, then when they improved post-F2P I subscribed again as I could try the game and eventually deemed it to be worth opening my wallet for. Sounds arrogant but this is exactly what publishers don't like, the PC user base has more power then console users to decide what a game is worth.

For the record all my games are legit, typically via Steam, and my empathy with pirates on this matter is due to years of being taken for a day 1 DLC full retail price gouging ride.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Isnt this thread about the PS4?
    It is but PC gaming is sooooo much superior don't ya know! (Which is why I have a PS3 )

Thank Post
    PS4 factsheet

* 1 PS+ account will allow all on console to play online
    * PS+ account not required for additional streaming services like netflix
    * Single player games can be played offline
    * Region free
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 11th June 2013 at 01:34 PM.

Thank Post
    <3 gotta love that its no DRM

Thank Post
    And none of those take into account people who pirate to test

That really doesnt make it right though does it? Regardless of whether you buy it afterwards or not....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,528 Times in 1,039 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefferzzzz View Post
    That really doesnt make it right though does it? Regardless of whether you buy it afterwards or not....
    I am not sure I understand your logic here. If a pirated version is used to check system compatibility - because refunds for PC games are a PITA, be they Steam or an opened retail copy, and because a lot of developers no longer provide a demo that would perform a similar task - and, once compatibility is proven, the game is purchased and the developer rewarded, where's the immorality?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I am not sure I understand your logic here. If a pirated version is used to check system compatibility - because refunds for PC games are a PITA, be they Steam or an opened retail copy, and because a lot of developers no longer provide a demo that would perform a similar task - and, once compatibility is proven, the game is purchased and the developer rewarded, where's the immorality?
    It may be more to do with the beligerant bad mood I am in today.

Where is the morality in illegally obtaining a product to use and then if you like it, you might reward the person who created that product?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast