+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, PS4 Announced in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by synaesthesia As I've said before, the XBOne needed to happen several years ago (without the preowned and ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    As I've said before, the XBOne needed to happen several years ago (without the preowned and internet crap)
    Funny you so say that. I agree the 360 needed updating a couple of years ago, and the One's spec is a little underwhelming but I think the overall console MS presented is probably a generation before it's time. All that DRM nonsense makes sense in a download only world, which we are at least another generation away from in reality.

Still, I'm now 100% happy to jump fully on the PS4 band wagon (free games every month )

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Didn't want to... but MS have left me with no choice.....

Ps4, here i come!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are a few things in the PS4's favour as far as I'm concerned:
    * The price - 80 is a fair old saving to put towards games
    * The spec - graphics cores and unified GDDR5 memoery architecture
    * The look - not that important, but the PS4 does look nicer
    * That sharing video - comedy gold
    * This description from an Ars article on the PS4 games: Sony started out with a teaser trailer for The Order: 1886, a game that appears to take place in a steampunk 19th century London, with skyscrapers and floating blimps.

That said, if I had 400 spare to spend on PS4 + games, I'd save it towards upgrading my PC...
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 11th June 2013 at 08:43 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Funny you so say that. I agree the 360 needed updating a couple of years ago, and the One's spec is a little underwhelming but I think the overall console MS presented is probably a generation before it's time. All that DRM nonsense makes sense in a download only world, which we are at least another generation away from in reality.
    I don't mean the console specs itself, I mean something nearer to a full entertainment system rather than an application specific gaming device where any ability to do things other than game is a bolt on or afterthought. This is why I see the PS4 is a fossil. "Consoles" should have been wiped out already.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    PS4 is definitely the winner of a losing race.
    Mandatory PS+ for online play.

There are no winners.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    Didn't want to... but MS have left me with no choice.....

Ps4, here i come!!!
    PC master race.

[censored] paying for online.
    Last edited by X-13; 11th June 2013 at 08:49 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't mean the console specs itself, I mean something nearer to a full entertainment system rather than an application specific gaming device where any ability to do things other than game is a bolt on or afterthought. This is why I see the PS4 is a fossil. "Consoles" should have been wiped out already.
    The problem with true multimedia devices isn't the ability for Sony, Microsoft, Apple, Google, Whomever to physically create one, it's the quagmire of media licenses that TV and Movie companies in particular play to that make it impossible. Cable and satellite broadcasters in particular have an iron grip on the industry that makes it nigh on impossible to get some content! The likes of iPlayer and Lovefilm are starting to make headway, but even in the UK Sky stop a lot of content being available outside their pay wall.

I don't think console gaming itself will ever truely die. The devices might get more and more multimedia - as they are now, but there is something in the console gaming experience that is hard to properly replicate elsewhere IMHO.

Thank Post
    From Sky News

"And the price for PS4 - 350 for customers in the UK and $399 in the US - has already put it one step ahead of its rival, according to analysts.

Hours before the Sony launch, Microsoft had unveiled its Xbox One system and fans had expressed disappointment with its 429 price tag."

Think I might stick with Sony

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I don't think console gaming itself will ever truely die. The devices might get more and more multimedia - as they are now, but there is something in the console gaming experience that is hard to properly replicate elsewhere IMHO.
    PC games simply don't sell enough at the moment. Console vs PC CoD is about 10:1. Steam stats will also tell you the most popular vram for a PC on a gamers network like steam is 1gb, 1gb even amoung gamers. We may have great PCs but we're in the minority, with the general public not even bothering with PCs and everyone having phones/tablets for their browsing I dont think consoles are going anywhere yet.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 11th June 2013 at 09:06 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    PC games simply don't sell enough at the moment. Console vs PC CoD is about 10:1.
    The problem is, we don't know how much the PC sells. It's almost non-existent at retail (although whether the lack of PC games in shops is because they don't sell, or that they don't sell because there's a lack of PC games in shops, I don't know) but Valve won't release sales figures for Steam. I genuinely believe they're now harming the PC ecosystem by not demonstrating how broad a market it is.

I think the PCs problem is now just one of image - everyone thinks it's a faff to get games working and you have to sit at a keyboard & mouse, hunched in front of your monitor... when the reality is I play half my PC games with a 360 controller on the plasma TV, and thanks to Steam there's less faff with updates and patches than there is with my PS3 (which really is a PITA).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    PC games simply don't sell enough at the moment. Console vs PC CoD is about 10:1. Steam stats will also tell you the most popular vram for a PC on a gamers network like steam is 1gb, 1gb even amoung gamers. We may have great PCs but we're in the minority, with the general public not even bothering with PCs and everyone having phones/tablets for their browsing I dont think consoles are going anywhere yet.
    I don't think that's strictly true - console gaming has been on the decline for quite a few years. PC gaming has increased massively. So, even if the numbers still give consoles a greater sales number in specific lines (COD for example), overall, PCs sell more games. Square Enix has retooled their development recently - with a focus on smartphones/tablets and PCs, followed by web browsers and then consoles.

The reasons to own a console are dwindling, when you compare cost vs performance.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I buy all my games for my PS3 second hand so PS4 is the clear winner.

Great stuff Sony! (never thought I would say that!!)

I predict a very quick U-Turn by Microsoft on the 2nd hand game thing. That's business suicide.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am oddly with @localzuk on this one. Whilst the PS4 is the clear winner of the consoles (Elder Scrolls online being console exclusive to them!!!), I am going back to the PC. In fact, I am trading in a large chunk of my xbox games this weekend as simply, I am done with them, and anything that I want to play from them, I could download on steam/origin and go from there.

As for COD sales on console vs PC...you are comparing 3 different consoles, combining the numbers and putting them up against the PC. COD on the Wii - flopped big time, COD on xbox sold something like 10m copies a year or so. COD on PS3 about the same. COD on PC also sold around 10m copies a year, but had one distince advantage, they had custom servers, which the consoles do not, so the revenue stream was higher for PC than console (despite the price being around 1/4 cheaper on PC). there are at any given time around 600k custom servers for COD, each costing around 50p per slot per month, with a minimum of 12 slots being sold.

This is 6 per server, and over 600k servers, is 3.6m per month for the companies selling the server, and of that activision take a 40% cut. So they make give a minimum of 1.44m per month from PC servers alone, and bare in mind most people tend to buy around 24-32 man servers for COD, they are easily making more from PC gamers which is why it is geared more towards them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    As for COD sales on console vs PC...you are comparing 3 different consoles, combining the numbers and putting them up against the PC. COD on the Wii - flopped big time, COD on xbox sold something like 10m copies a year or so. COD on PS3 about the same. COD on PC also sold around 10m copies a year, but had one distince advantage, they had custom servers, which the consoles do not, so the revenue stream was higher for PC than console (despite the price being around 1/4 cheaper on PC). there are at any given time around 600k custom servers for COD, each costing around 50p per slot per month, with a minimum of 12 slots being sold.
    First week sales of Call of Duty: Black Ops II are in. The game sold 11.22 million units across the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. The Wii U version of the game was released the following week, November 18, as a launch title in North America.

The Xbox 360 version was the top selling version with sales of 6.21 million units. This is a 55 percent market share of the total sales. The PlayStation 3 version sold 4.61 million units, or 41 percent of the total sales. The PC version sold 400,859 units in its opening week.

First week CoDboII Sales

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First week sales of Call of Duty: Black Ops II are in. The game sold 11.22 million units across the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. The Wii U version of the game was released the following week, November 18, as a launch title in North America.

The Xbox 360 version was the top selling version with sales of 6.21 million units. This is a 55 percent market share of the total sales. The PlayStation 3 version sold 4.61 million units, or 41 percent of the total sales. The PC version sold 400,859 units in its opening week.

First week CoDboII Sales
    You cannot use 'opening week sales' as a measure. I never buy games when they first come out - I wait a few weeks at least, to check and make sure any issues get resolved first. Most PC gamers I know do the same.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    yup, same here.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast