+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, PS4 Announced in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by Domino horses for courses, why do people get so upset that everyone isn't a fan of THEIR ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,041 Times in 1,485 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    horses for courses, why do people get so upset that everyone isn't a fan of THEIR specific favourite.

I personally like to be able to sit on the couch after work, talk to the missus, and shoot people in their stupid faces over the internet on my PS3. Lots of my friends are on PSN, and I enjoy not having to play with graphics settings to get a game working properly. Also, I've a PS+ subscription, and every month I get a raft of games to play that I wouldn't have otherwise tried (red dead redemption, Bioshock 2, Sleeping Dogs, etc etc )

I also play steam games, but only when I have something I really wanna try out thats not available elsewhere. I don't have a dedicated gaming rig, cause it'd have to go in the study - I don't really wanna be cut off from my missus when I only get to see her 3 evenings out of 7.

Why is that an issue?
    QFT!

Domino is right on the mark here. Having had both consoles, I stuck with xbox because more of my friends are there, and I get what I want out of it. I am an xbox fanboy, but I won't outright rip someone apart because they like PC/PS3/Wii or whatever.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Few questions

3. If it is 4k compatible then will they release 4k blu rays for movies etc ?
    I'm sure Sony will be along when they are ready with a whole new string of 4k titles so that you can gratefully rebuy all the titles that you own. They may need a blood sample too so they can make sure that only you or your perfect clone can consume their DRM content.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    4K isn't 4 squared. It is 4x 1080p. It is 3840 ◊ 2160 for TV, or 4096 ◊ 2160 for Film.
    Doh, that would be 8k then lol. Last I heard the Japs were missing out 4k in terms of braodcast TV as it's a bit of a pointless step up.
    Still stand by my point though. We all know how much difference in terms of FPS a little change in resolution makes. I can see the next gen consoles falling behind PCs much quicker this time around.

The one thing I've seen mentioned before is the 3d "split" screen where one set of specs does left eye and the other set does right eye. Any mention of this?
    Last edited by j17sparky; 21st February 2013 at 01:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Few questions

1. How much will it cost ?
    2. Any photos of what the console and controllers look like ?
    3. If it is 4k compatible then will they release 4k blu rays for movies etc ?
    1. Probably £500+ in the UK. The PS3 was £450, but could be bought on import for £300. Guess what I did lol
    2. No photos as yet, but I suspect dev kits are out there already.
    3. I believe blu-ray theoretically can hold up to 200GB using a double layer/quad layer arrangement. Something HD DVD could never do.

Thank Post
    I still think 4K is going to be stunning, but only on larger screens. You're not going to notice on 32"-40" which is probably the most common sizes sold.

I think the demand is there, simply because there are customers who want TV screens the size of their wall

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Watched the presentation despite late night tiredness and a dodgy 240p stream and was quiet buoyed by it. Sony have made all the right noises for me. The specs are about right and the move to x86 (note - it's not a PC!) architecture was a good one. I'm liking the look of the controller. The game demos, especially Watch Dogs, had me wanting to part with cash. Announcing Gaikai integration as pleased me.

My only question remains - what are they going to do for PS+, especially the instant games collection? The right answer would have me buying day one.

That said, I'm still very interested to see what both Valve and Microsoft bring to the table. I think MS are going to be focusing around the Kennect 2 as the big feature for their next gen, which won't interest me. If Valve can deliver a good gamepad experience and some kind of subscription gaming model then they may yet win me over.

Interesting times for those of use who like large tv screens and gamepads over small screens, keyboards and mice!
    Last edited by tmcd35; 21st February 2013 at 01:57 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 869 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Shouldn't be the case. People should already have one box doing it all, and able to choose what inputs they want. But marketing won't allow it because they're scared.

Daft thing is that box already exists. Just needs the right software and marketing with less diparity between the millions of configuration options.

Thank Post
    I thought Sony had stated they wanted the cost to be under £300?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    I thought Sony had stated they wanted the cost to be under £300?
    $300 US maybe, but I doubt £300 unless they sell it at a huge loss. You couldn't build a PC of similar spec for £300 and even with Sony's bulk buying powers, I can't see it selling for less than £500 in the UK initially.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    $300 US maybe, but I doubt £300 unless they sell it at a huge loss. You couldn't build a PC of similar spec for £300 and even with Sony's bulk buying powers, I can't see it selling for less than £500 in the UK initially.
    Current rumors suggest £3-400. Any more than that would be too expensive this time out, it won't have the uniqueness of the blu-ray player to offset such a high price.

As for Sony's buying power - you go to AMD and request 70million custom APU's and see what price you come back with

Also try not to compare too closely with PC specs, it's not so cut and dry as you might first think.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 2,021 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The use of GDDR5 is interesting for system RAM as well as GFX RAM. Wonder if it'll buoy the PC industry to speed forward with RAM in general? I'm thinking unlikely.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    As for Sony's buying power - you go to AMD and request 70million custom APU's and see what price you come back with

Also try not to compare too closely with PC specs, it's not so cut and dry as you might first think.
    Second point is very relevant, theres another lower power chip for running the OS and background tasks. Means the CPU, 8gb ram and GPU can concentrate on the game and not many graphics cards have 6-7gb ram available to them.

Thank Post
    They have used GDDR5 as system RAM so they could use X86 system architecture and still use the full amount, well thats the only reason I can see for using it anyway

Thank Post
    Also....This big announcement...Why didn't we get to see the actual console?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 2,021 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HaleStorm View Post
    Also....This big announcement...Why didn't we get to see the actual console?
    They did that with the PS3, then changed its design. Maybe they're trying not to.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast