+ Post New Thread
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, PS4 Announced in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by Theblacksheep Firmware 1.51 released today. PS4 System Software Update 1.51 Coming Soon – PlayStation.Blog Final revision before ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Final revision before EU launch? Or do I wait to download 1.52 next week?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Final revision before EU launch? Or do I wait to download 1.52 next week?
    It's just some bug fixes and a tweak to display updates are separately from game downloads. I think they'll get the EU release out the way before making any improvements so I image it'll be the last one before EU release, but you never know. Gonna wait till Tuesday/Wednesday.

AC4 1.03 patch increased it from 900p to 1080p yesterday.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Gonna wait till Tuesday/Wednesday.
    Yeah, I'm waiting till Wednesday night or Thursday to download whatever the lastest firmware is then. Hopefully my SSHD would have arrived by then as well.

AC4 1.03 patch increased it from 900p to 1080p yesterday.

Thank Post
    There's no specific youtube app at the moment but bookmark youtube.com/tv and you'll get the same as the PS3 youtube app.

iplayer, bbcsport apps available for the UK. Netflix is only in the US at the moment, wont be long.

PS4 web browser is surprisingly faster than the competition, didn't expect this:
    AnandTech | The Xbox One - Mini Review & Comparison to Xbox 360/PS4

Streaming your games via Twitch also supported.

App, browser and streaming aren't behind PSN+ paywall.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    NOTICE:
    We have created a new thread to handle listing PSN ID's. PLEASE POST YOUR TAGS THERE. PSN accounts are universal but in the interest of making it easy to game with others please add your details to:
    PlayStation 3 PSN ID's
    PlayStation 4 PSN ID's
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 26th November 2013 at 12:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For those curious about Blu-ray playback quality blu-ray.com has done a review: Blu-ray on PlayStation 4: An Introduction.

Frankly, using the PS4 as a Blu-ray playback device has proven to be an exercise in frustration given three system freezes and the audio glitch necessitating another round of disc sampling to ensure it was an isolated incident. Fortunately none of the other discs seemed prone, and the freezes also seemed random. The PlayStation 4 is certainly a worthwhile investment for the avid gamer, but for those either hoping for improved and expanded Blu-ray playback capabilities, it's currently not worth the upgrade. In fact, it's smart to stay rather far away for the time being. Considering the price, expanded features, greater stability, and comparable, if not equal, playback quality, the PlayStation 3 remains the superior gaming/Blu-ray playback hybrid machine.

Thank Post
    PS4 compatible Playstation app is available on iTunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/play...pp/id410896080

screen568x568.jpeg
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 26th November 2013 at 12:45 PM.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    I've had it since the US release on android..?

EDIT: I checked it and updated it manually at the time, its now a pushed update.

--------------

UK gets the following PSN apps on release (PSN+ not required):
    iPlayer, VidZone, Amazon/Lovefilm, Netflix, BBC Sports, BBC News, Demand 5, Music Unlimited, Video Unlimited

PlayStation 4 launch entertainment apps revealed – PlayStation.Blog.Europe

As previously mentioned, youtube.com/tv works in the browser.

A further 20+ apps released between now and Spring 2014.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 26th November 2013 at 01:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So hows the launch going?
    I saw http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/...-announcement/ which says that vouchers etc were offline now as well (similar to xbox live for a brief period) but is multiplayer working?
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 30th November 2013 at 12:52 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Picked up mine from the courier this morning. Everything working perfectly. Currently watching Netflix while I wait for downloads.

Controller is much, much better than the DS3 and looks drop dead gorgeous in blue. Consoles got a fair bit of weight behind it. HDD upgrade was quick and painless, had the download on a USB stick ready so no waiting on overloaded Sony servers.

I like the new menu for the most part. Noticeably quicker than the PS3, I just don't like the untidy way games are organised and launched. Could do with some customisation and use of more than one line - dare I say it, more like XB1/Win8.

Plex works well from the web browser which is a god send!

PS App is interesting. Got it connected on both phone and iPad. Looks like it doesn't remember the connection which is annoying. Makes a good wireless keyboard, better than using the on screen one.

Resogun is Defender and as such interesting for a 5 minute blast. Waiting for AC:IV to finish before I can see some proper next gen graphics/gameplay...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    So hows the launch going?
    I saw PlayStation Network announcement – PlayStation.Blog.Europe which says that vouchers etc were offline now as well (similar to xbox live for a brief period) but is multiplayer working?
    Personally speaking I didn't have any troubles, but mine turned up till 7pm as DPD decided not to deliver first time round and came back later, they said they were a bit busy that day!

Before turning it on I took out the HD and replaced it with an 1TB hybrid. Didn't know you need the 'recovery firmware' (900mb instead of 300mb) for HD replacements so needed to download that onto USB. Servers were fine and took about 1min to download, it then took about 3 mins to flash and reboot. Took another min or so to login with my existing PSN account and another min to update settings.

The unit is tiny, especially considering its got an internal PSU. Its just a black box, so not exactly pretty, although the light is quite understated and nice different touch that is usually just an LED at the front.

The controllers, THE CONTROLLERS! The most comfy I've used. Great balance, nice texture on the rear and nicely shaped, also slightly larger. Going to have to use them on the PS3 (still got some games I need to polish off), cannot go back to DS3. Touch section works OK, only used it in KZ a bit. Interesting new feature is the speaker on the controller, works very effectively in Resogun, adds another dimension as give info on power ups just to you. Light on the front changes depending on change state, but its not in an area that bugs you when playing, most effective at night. I've not used the controllers for the limited voice controls yet.

My TV is on the wall with cables going under the floor to the opposite wall where consoles sit so having a camera would be impossible with my setup. I've had the camera and move on PS3 and I've personally got no interest in it.

The OS: They've completely tidied it up. Its like the PS3 XMB but simpler, cleaner and SOOOOOOOOOO much faster. The only extra annoying icons are: Playroom and the music/film unlimited. Pressing the PS button and coming out of a game to do other stuff is instant. Hope it stays this way. Also, remember that 5-40min install times on the PS3? Remember how good the 360 install times were? Took 30 seconds to install AC4 (rest streamed as I play) and KZ was instant.

'Share'... Its records the last 15mins and pressing the share button grabs screenshots. Now, I've not streamed me playing, but you can go onto an online library and see everyone else streaming. Want to check out War Thunder, go watch someone play it. Comment on it or join in. Very cool integrated release feature.

Running youtube/tv in the browser works. Pairing a device works. Casting YT from your phone works too.

The vita can do everything on the PS4: I played AC4 in bed.

Love Resogun. Killzone is pretty but boring (I think most FPS are). AC4 is a upscaled port from last gen. Will download the Fifa demo. Would like to see BF4, NFS and War Thunder. Destiny Beta in Jan!
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 30th November 2013 at 11:37 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Fake PS4 exploit sets the scene on fire

Our scam of the day is an interesting one, as it is the first fake PS4 hack claim since the console was out. Don’t worry, many more fake hacks will come along the way, trust me on that. But this one’s special, as it’s the first one.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Given this news story on the rival platform:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/30/x...-drive-how-to/

It shan't be long before one of the two are "jailbroken" (all are sooner or later). Given they are both x86 based I think the potential is quiet exciting for the emulation scene.

Which will be the worthy successor to the original XBox?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Given they are both x86 based I think the potential is quiet exciting for the emulation scene.
    Playing 20-30 year old games on a brand new console?

Count me in!

Though having access to PS3 games AND OWNING THEM is better in my mind than streaming with Gaikai and ownership being based on how much extra money I'm giving Sony.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread