+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, PS4 Announced in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by synaesthesia To start, I'm not a console player or fanboy. Waste of time for me, my current ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    To start, I'm not a console player or fanboy. Waste of time for me, my current PC will mash the PS4 as it stands, but that's not the point.

Backwards compatibility. Bleh, stop moaning! Could you play your NES games on your SNES? Your Master System games on your Megadrive? If you want continued compatibility, then stick to PC gaming. Just because the last generation of consoles offered limited backward compatibility doesn't mean it should continue to do so. It's an entirely different architecture they're going to, from what should have been a super.
    Actually yes...i can play the nes games on the snes and the master system games on the mega drive. The respective companies released a special cartridge 6 weeks after release due to demand.

Thank Post
    1k? Where the hell do you shop for gaming PCs - alienware? Half that and you're nearer the mark. With the launch price of the PS3 as a go-figure, I'd imagine there'll only be a hundred or so odd quid inbetween a PS4 and a comparable PC.

But this isn't a console vs PC thread.
    I think my PC cost about 600 to build (250 on a 570 alone), but that didn't include a monitor, OS or BR drive. I doubt many PC gamers will stay with the same setup for 6 years, it'll get some sort of refresh.

Console games get optimised, PC games just lazily use more resources with an ever inflating underlying OS. That's not a PC bash, its reality of programmers and resources (i've worked on sony, nintendo, sega and PC games). Overall I've spent about 1k the gaming PC (ignoring the laptop) over the 6 years I've had the PS3 (220 plus shipping from japan = 350).
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 21st February 2013 at 11:32 AM.

Thank Post
    Console gaming is like a mass supermarket produced loaf of white sliced bread.

PC gaming is like a freshly made artisan crafted loaf.

People compare new PC/upgrade costs to consoles but in the long run, PC gamers like myself don't splash out out £400/300/200 etc on a new/second hand games console. I just put the cost of it straight into my PC which I get soooo much more use out of, not just for gaming but from a wealth of other uses. I bet most console owners have a separate laptop/PC too. And if you put the cost of a new console along side the cost of an equivalent PC/laptop, you could easily get a quality gaming rig to last you a good few years.

Not to mention the cost of games over a PC's and console life span. Consoles cant even touch the value that Steam sales provide and most new bing name titles come in at around £20 more the the PC version. And no worries about backward compatibility either to which so many people make a fuss over. I can still run games form the 90's on my PC!
    Last edited by Rawns; 21st February 2013 at 11:47 AM.

Thank Post
    I like console games and PC games, its not really about one of the other. Sticking with one doesn't make sense to me, there's games I enjoy playing on consoles that aren't available on PC (MGS, GT, Demon Souls, Ni No Kuni) and vice versa (arma, dayz).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 787 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Point here being the PS4 *is* a PC. In fact it's closer to a Mac as it's more single purpose without upgrades or hardware/software changes in mind. Same architecture, same style GPU, same sort of storage.
    I'm almost certain we won't see any more generations after this as there'll be no point.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    horses for courses, why do people get so upset that everyone isn't a fan of THEIR specific favourite.

I personally like to be able to sit on the couch after work, talk to the missus, and shoot people in their stupid faces over the internet on my PS3. Lots of my friends are on PSN, and I enjoy not having to play with graphics settings to get a game working properly. Also, I've a PS+ subscription, and every month I get a raft of games to play that I wouldn't have otherwise tried (red dead redemption, Bioshock 2, Sleeping Dogs, etc etc )

I also play steam games, but only when I have something I really wanna try out thats not available elsewhere. I don't have a dedicated gaming rig, cause it'd have to go in the study - I don't really wanna be cut off from my missus when I only get to see her 3 evenings out of 7.

Why is that an issue?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Few questions

1. How much will it cost ?
    2. Any photos of what the console and controllers look like ?
    3. If it is 4k compatible then will they release 4k blu rays for movies etc ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Few questions

1. How much will it cost ?
    2. Any photos of what the console and controllers look like ?
    3. If it is 4k compatible then will they release 4k blu rays for movies etc ?
    Only one that can be answered at the moment - number 2. PS4 controller revealed: introducing the DualShock 4 | News | TechRadar

Thank Post
    Point here being the PS4 *is* a PC. In fact it's closer to a Mac as it's more single purpose without upgrades or hardware/software changes in mind. Same architecture, same style GPU, same sort of storage.
    I'm almost certain we won't see any more generations after this as there'll be no point.
    Thats like saying theres no point to a mac because its the same hardware as a PC.

Proprietary devices of common underlaying hardware are only increasing in sales. Consoles have always offered devs a stable platform to build on for a few years, they have also pioneered small hardware innovations that drive industry, it also generates huge amounts of money so it will take a large shift for this to disappear any time soon.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 787 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Thats like saying theres no point to a mac because its the same hardware as a PC.

Proprietary devices of common underlaying hardware are only increasing in sales. Consoles have always offered devs a stable platform to build on for a few years, they have also pioneered small hardware innovations that drive industry, it also generates huge amounts of money so it will take a large shift for this to disappear any time soon.
    Not really my point - I meant there won't be a point in having a separate console from a PC from a media player for obvious reasons. Which way the merge *will* happen is not so clear but it's likely to go to a more stable unified system leaving PC style kit open for enthusiast markets. And yes, for those wondering, I really AM saying it'll move more towards an Apple style system. From me, the world's biggest (sensible) Apple hater.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 21st February 2013 at 12:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not really my point - I meant there won't be a point in having a separate console from a PC from a media player for obvious reasons.
    DDR5 in a PC, I wish, anyhow it all comes down to artificial market differentiation, why sell one product when you can sell three. Thank the marketing and management schools for that one.

Thank Post
    Not forgetting Steams venture into the 'PC/Console' world in the not too distant future. Will it be classed as a console? A PC? A hybrid? They will be one to closely monitor as if they nail it, maybe Future Microsoft & Sony offerings will be more PC-like with the ability to download full games to their devices.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Not forgetting Steams venture into the 'PC/Console' world in the not too distant future. Will it be classed as a console? A PC? A hybrid? They will be one to closely monitor as if they nail it, maybe Future Microsoft & Sony offerings will be more PC-like with the ability to download full games to their devices.
    That's the system they have wanted for a while but there are still places where downloading a medium sized game could cost $10 just in data charges if you're on the wrong plan or in the wrong place. It is not suitable for everywhere, I still have to check my data meter so I don't blow the cap and get billed more in overage than I pay to insure my car on top of the base charges.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I definitely think Sony have been generous in terms of the amount of memory compared to the PS3. This will certainly help with games running at a full 1080p or indeed 4K later on. 4K's essentially 4 x HD for those that don't know.
    4k is 4 squared x HD = 16 x HD. IMO the spec doesn't look generous enough, especially when on paper my radeon 6870 which I bought over 2 years ago is pretty similar. Yes the games will be optimised but when you consider the last generation of console came out with killer spec which PC gamers could only match with £1000s (at time of release), and the fact the manufacturers like to make the consoles last 6+ years, and we're at a resolution far higher than we have ever been before...

Controller - Sony, learn will you. Your current controller was good in the 90s but it just isn't designed with the analogue sticks in mind. Even the most devout Sony fanboys (I know) hate the controller now - most converted to xbox, partly at least, because of it. And a touch screen, just why? Talk about using technology for the sake of it!
    Last edited by j17sparky; 21st February 2013 at 12:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    4k is 4 squared x HD = 16 x HD. IMO the spec doesn't look generous enough, especially when on paper my radeon 6870 which I bought over 2 years ago is pretty similar. Yes the games will be optimised but when you consider the last generation of console came out with killer spec which PC gamers could only match with £1000s (at time of release), and the fact the manufacturers like to make the consoles last 6+ years, and we're at a resolution far higher than we have ever been before...
    4K isn't 4 squared. It is 4x 1080p. It is 3840 ◊ 2160 for TV, or 4096 ◊ 2160 for Film.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast