+ Post New Thread
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, PS4 Announced in Fun Stuff; Hmm it appears Amazon has pulled PS4 sales due to BLOD issue: Amazon suppresses PS4 sales; DOA systems may be ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hmm it appears Amazon has pulled PS4 sales due to BLOD issue: Amazon suppresses PS4 sales; DOA systems may be at fault - GotGame
    Launch-day sales issues are a familiar beast for gamers when a new console touches ground, but Sony’s Playstation 4 has gathered a particularly bad cloud of press on Amazon.com. With almost 40% one-star user-submitted reviews at the time of this article’s writing, the dominant problem is obvious: dead-on-arrival systems that flash a new “Blue Light of Death.” So many low reviews and complaints have come in that Sony has requested that Amazon cease selling the unit until the problem is addressed.

According to a NeoGAF thread, Amazon Customer Support reports that Sony has halted production on the system until they can address the issues arising with the sold units. Amazon sellers who log in and attempt to sell a PS4 are confronted with a message that “the ability to create a listing for this item has been restricted.”
    Most of the stock for this year has probably been produced now anyway so Sony halting for a little shouldnt hurt too bad. Anti-Sony crowd has also probably added a fair few negative reviews for the crack too. I just hope sony prioritise those with BLOD over sending to shops as I would be pretty ticked if Sony said after Christmas for a fixed one (some have claimed this)

EDIT: Ars has also review Reshogun, Knack, Killzone and Contrast for those looking at preorder options: PS4 game round-up: Thoughts on four day-one exclusives | Ars Technica
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 17th November 2013 at 11:05 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Derp now there is a report of a employee of foxconn claiming they sabotaged some PS4's due to labour issues:
    Foxconn intern claims PS4 was sabotaged during manufacturing - Neowin
    Thats pretty crazy stuff! Its from a random post though so add a dumper full of salt.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Even so, a friend of mine who works in Game, has said his store has had around 30% of the pre-orders rescinded. Nobody wants to take the risk.

Thank Post
    1m Sold in NA on day 1. Sony's fastest ever, not bad considering it was one region.

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/402014678244524032

PS4 browser scores well, best console browser so far (expect xbo to beat it with IE), bit limited in memory use at the moment, but it is only a touch lower than IE on the PC desktop. http://html5test.com/results/gaming.html
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 17th November 2013 at 02:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Even so, a friend of mine who works in Game, has said his store has had around 30% of the pre-orders rescinded. Nobody wants to take the risk.
    That's crazy. Unless I'm somehow missing the darker corners of the Internet where all the complaints are, the problems don't appear to be that bad. For a million sales the US playstation forum is relatively quiet all things considered.

I'll wait for the mass media to start screaming about the 1000s of upset customers before I start questioning my pre-order.

The main two problems appear to be a potentially dodgy HDMI port that is easily fixable with a pin if you examine it before hand and the PSN being down.

A very small number have either fan/heating issues or faulty blu-ray, but they appear to be much rarer than the rare HDMI issue.

There also seems to be a number of system freezes. Not sure if these are related to PSN being down or an initial firmware/hard drive issue. If the later it seems resolvable with a new firmware download. Since I'm replacing the HDD day one that problem should be nipped in the bud.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    That's crazy. Unless I'm somehow missing the darker corners of the Internet where all the complaints are, the problems don't appear to be that bad. For a million sales the US playstation forum is relatively quiet all things considered.

I'll wait for the mass media to start screaming about the 1000s of upset customers before I start questioning my pre-order.

The main two problems appear to be a potentially dodgy HDMI port that is easily fixable with a pin if you examine it before hand and the PSN being down.

A very small number have either fan/heating issues or faulty blu-ray, but they appear to be much rarer than the rare HDMI issue.

There also seems to be a number of system freezes. Not sure if these are related to PSN being down or an initial firmware/hard drive issue. If the later it seems resolvable with a new firmware download. Since I'm replacing the HDD day one that problem should be nipped in the bud.
    With the internet today, one man's problem is shared with everyone and suddenly it's a problem for everyone.

Some people are looking for and highlighting only bad news on the PS4. Even edugeek has seen some people only post opinionated negative comments on this thread while on other pages they are only positive. They say bad news travels fast and some like being the messenger. I'm not sure if people are insecure about their own decisions or just want to make other people feel bad.

There's same good analysis of the issues highlighting the realistic scale here:
    ╗ PS4 “BLOD” ANALYSIS | Level Zero

I cancelled by Game pre-order because I've got one pre-ordered elsewhere. Insurance. I know others have done the same with various shops.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 17th November 2013 at 02:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Spoke with friend just now on FB whilst he is on his break. 2 sets of parents came in, complaining to game about what they've read on the internet and wanted to cancel. Now to be fair, it is a Sony issue, not a reseller. Yet the resellers are getting the bad rep and not Sony. The HDMI port, should have been discovered at manufacture, and if they say its from the weight of all the other boxes on top, then they should have packaged it properly, again going to Sony.

Seems Sony here, even though it is their fault (and its a small margin of consoles having the fault), the resellers are getting the grief!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    From a consumer point of view, at least in the UK, the contract is with the retailer, so yeah they would "get the flack".

Given the small number of HDMI ports effected, or at least reported so far, the blame is with the manufacturer - Foxconn? - not Sony. Given it's a weekend, it'd be more interesting tomorrow to see what Sony do about it and if there are further negative reports.

I find it sad that people would cancel a pre-order on the basis of couple of hundred Amazon comments (who must have sold tens of thousands) and barely a handful of youtube videos.

If there was a major problem I'd have expected the Internet would be more a flame than it us right now.

I'm sure Microsoft are hoping Friday will go equally as smoothly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    From a consumer point of view, at least in the UK, the contract is with the retailer, so yeah they would "get the flack".

Given the small number of HDMI ports effected, or at least reported so far, the blame is with the manufacturer - Foxconn? - not Sony. Given it's a weekend, it'd be more interesting tomorrow to see what Sony do about it and if there are further negative reports.

I find it sad that people would cancel a pre-order on the basis of couple of hundred Amazon comments (who must have sold tens of thousands) and barely a handful of youtube videos.

If there was a major problem I'd have expected the Internet would be more a flame than it us right now.

I'm sure Microsoft are hoping Friday will go equally as smoothly.
    The last time I saw it, there was about 40% 1 star reviews on amazon because of this.

If it IS sabotage from Foxconn emplyees, then it's in no way Sony's fault. [Apart from contracting a known abusive company to make the consoles.]

Xbone has 10% of the consoles being made by Foxconn, it'll be interesting the see the DoA ratio for those ones. If it's high, then the sabotage claim seems legit.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    The last time I saw it, there was about 40% 1 star reviews on amazon because of this.
    That's a disingenuous figure though. What we're really talking about is 500 known complaints out of whatever Amazon's allocation of the 1 million sold was. Not 40%.

Thank Post
    If you like that sorta thing the PS4 can do basic voice commands by using the additional camera or a simple headset (a standard 3.5mm jack (crappy one is supplied)) plugged into a DS4:

Operating the system with your voice | PlayStation«4 User's Guide

The function is also available to games if they want to use it. The NBA game uses it. No extra cameras required.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 17th November 2013 at 06:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    If you like that sorta thing the PS4 can do basic voice commands by using the additional camera or a simple headset (a standard 3.5mm jack (crappy one is supplied)) plugged into a DS4:

Operating the system with your voice | PlayStation«4 User's Guide

The function is also available to games if they want to use it. The NBA game uses it. No extra cameras required.
    Just read that, hopefully sony will be fast adding voice controls for apps sdk and video as its a bit limited just launching an app currently.
    To follow on with a bit more details about languages etc: PlayStation 4 voice commands limited for launch - GameSpot

The NBA game sounded interesting but I cant find a list of voice commands?
    I hope they bring things more like Skyrim's voice controls "equip fire spell left" etc as that was much faster then ingame UI (although that could have been better all round) although some hate the idea of speaking out loud while in a game

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If the voice commands dont interfere with gameplay during a party game then brilliant. However the fanboys have jumped on this already and said they are copying MS too much. To be fair, Sony needed too as they lacked. Next thing they need is a sensor for motion control. Haha

Thank Post
    However the fanboys have jumped on this already and said they are copying MS too much. To be fair, Sony needed too as they lacked.
    Shows how much they know, voice control and gesture control worked on the PS3 with the PS3 camera/mic combo. The terrible Tom Clancys Endwar made use of it. Sony have made voice control without the need camera on PS4 and at an OS level rather than software API.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 18th November 2013 at 08:57 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Next thing they need is a sensor for motion control.
    Like the Playstation EyeToy from 2003?

Or the upgraded Playstation Eye from 2007?

Or even the NEW Playstation 4 Eye?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread