+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, PS4 Announced in Fun Stuff; Problem with cross-platform is that PC/Console is a no due to control issues with MK whooping controller any day. PS/XBox ...
    CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Problem with cross-platform is that PC/Console is a no due to control issues with MK whooping controller any day. PS/XBox is a no due to MS greediness (I place the blame on MS because PS have offered co-op cross play with PC in the past with Portal 2 showing willingness to open up their network).

Thank Post
    So surely a PC with a decent small SSD to boot from and decent cooling matched up to your big HD TV with wireless kbrd/mouse is the better option in terms of all round game/surfing/entertainment/game longevity??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @sonofsanta, I agree with entirely. This time out it's been harder for console manufacturers to push the boat out in terms of spec vs. PC. But it doesn't mean what Sony are offering is in any way under spec'd. I just think because they have used an x86 processor it's made it all too easy for people to, sometimes incorrectly, compare the next gen consoles to regular PC's. I've no doubt though that PC's will "catch up" within the next year, and eclipse shortly after.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    PCs can do GPGPU computing now - CUDA and OpenCL, PhysX is an (unfortunately vendor limited) implementation of that. I don't know if we'll ever get the unified RAM;
    I know PC's have done GPGPU computing for a long time now. Whats different in both consoles I believe (but definitely in PS4) is that they can run graphics calculations in parallel with GPGPU calculations where as existing PC GPU's do the calculation serially so have to (very quickly) task switch between the two types of calculation. That said it wouldn't surprise me if AMD's 7900 series already supports parallel GPGPU calculations as I believe they are based on the same GCN cores.

As for unified RAM, AMD have already announced it for the next APU updates next year. So yes, this time next year you'll be able to build a PS4 for a little more than buying Sony's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hefferzzzz View Post
    So surely a PC with a decent small SSD to boot from and decent cooling matched up to your big HD TV with wireless kbrd/mouse is the better option in terms of all round game/surfing/entertainment/game longevity??
    Obviously depends on the gaming experience you are after. For me the answer is no! Not least because I really don't want to have to deal with Windows. I suppose you can set up Steam's 10ft interface as the default shell, but still - driver update, windows updates, anti-virus, keyboards, mice, yueck. Give me a console any day!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    @tmcd35 - looks like another console then. Wish they would bring out a 4K HD 3D tv !!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparr0wn View Post
    <3 gotta love that its no DRM
    That's only partly true.

After pledging support for used games, Sony's Jack Tretton says publishers can enforce DRM

Less than 24 hours ago, Sony Computer Entertainment of America president Jack Tretton was met with uproarious applause after revealing that PlayStation 4 disc-based games can be freely given to friends and purchased on the used market. "PlayStation 4 won't impose any new restrictions on used games," were his exact words. One day later, that message is already mired in confusion. During an interview with Game Trailers, Tretton reiterated that Sony's first-party releases won't carry any unordinary DRM restrictions, only to later clarify that third-party publishers like Electronic Arts and Activision are free to chart their own course.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I know PC's have done GPGPU computing for a long time now. Whats different in both consoles I believe (but definitely in PS4) is that they can run graphics calculations in parallel with GPGPU calculations where as existing PC GPU's do the calculation serially so have to (very quickly) task switch between the two types of calculation.
    I did not know this.

As for unified RAM, AMD have already announced it for the next APU updates next year. So yes, this time next year you'll be able to build a PS4 for a little more than buying Sony's.
    I also did not know this - very cool. Don't suppose you have a link with more info do you? I am hoping that they bring out a similar APU but using the Piledriver modules instead of the Jaguar cores - that'd be an incredible Steam box then.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The PS Eye will be £44 and the DualShock 4 an eye watering £54, as detailed in Sony's press release (PDF)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I also did not know this - very cool. Don't suppose you have a link with more info do you? I am hoping that they bring out a similar APU but using the Piledriver modules instead of the Jaguar cores - that'd be an incredible Steam box then.
    Here you go:

AMD hUMA introduced: Heterogeneous Unified Memory Access | bit-tech.net

I'm sure I read an article on Arstechnica that went into a bit more detail but can't find it now.

The PS Eye will be £44 and the DualShock 4 an eye watering £54, as detailed in Sony's press release (PDF)
    What are Sony doing? Those prices should really be the other way around! £54 is a stupid price for a controller!
    Last edited by tmcd35; 12th June 2013 at 08:56 AM.

Thank Post
    Here you go:

AMD hUMA introduced: Heterogeneous Unified Memory Access | bit-tech.net

I'm sure I read an article on Arstechnica that went into a bit more detail but can't find it now.

What are Sony doing? Those prices should really be the other way around! £54 is a stupid price for a controller!

If you're planning to suck another generation of console junkies dry, that's exactly the right way round.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    If you're planning to suck another generation of console junkies dry, that's exactly the right way round.
    Let Papa Ninty show you how it's done.

Wii U GamePad Could Cost You At Least $140 To Replace | My Nintendo News

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The WiiU controller can be used as its own gaming device though, the others cant!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    The WiiU controller can be used as its own gaming device though, the others cant!
    I know. It's still [censored] expensive for a gimmicky controller.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Looks great to me. Now just need £400 or more so i can get two controllers, games etc

Thank Post
    Digital Foundry: Hands-on with PlayStation 4

After the 1080p60 dream, the 30fps reality?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast