+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, New Xbox requires an always-on connection to block used games in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by X-13 Guess I'm insane then... Me too......

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Guess I'm insane then...
    Me too...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Guess I'm insane then...
    Well... No-one was going to say anything...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Try something like Anno 2070 - some game functionality is lost when UPlay loses connection.
    I think the Prince of Persia games/Assassin's Creed games booted you out entirely and made you restart at your last checkpoint. A Street Fighter game (iirc) used a similar always-online method and if you lost your connection, you only had access to the characters you got in the demo. Diablo 3, of course, forced you to be online even if you only wanted to play alone, and fell over completely for a number of weeks at launch.

Ubisoft have since backed down from the always-online requirement because empirical assessment proved the initial hypothesis. Which is to say, it was exactly as cluster-loved as everyone told them it would be.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm lovely, I have the PC version of UPlay on my PC. Annoying as I'd bought the game from Steam and UPlay installed itself without my consent and no warning. I hate buying something on a distribution platform just to be forced to install the publisher's distribution platform!

Thank Post
    That sounds more like its down to the users security rather than microsoft.
    We have not (yet) had a hack on the scale of what Sony had with PSN.
    And Microsoft ignoring blatent fraud is down to microsoft, not the XBLA.

PSN may be free but its absolutely horrible to use.
    Had no experience of Nintendo.
    And of course PC is the best.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Hmmm lovely, I have the PC version of UPlay on my PC. Annoying as I'd bought the game from Steam and UPlay installed itself without my consent and no warning. I hate buying something on a distribution platform just to be forced to install the publisher's distribution platform!
    I hated having to install Origin just to play Battlefiled 3... only to find my rig was not up to it.

I was 'hoping' that EA and Valve would make up and shake hands. Alas that dream came to noting. I've not bought an EA game since.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostgame View Post
    Close the tread. That's it - game, set and match. :

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    EA can die in a fire for all I care.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Origin - what a pile of tat! Ridiculous piece of software!

Thank Post
    Some of the bits in Origins T's & C's were really worrying.

I'm sure one of them was something along the lines of "You agree to let EA scan your computer and collect information on system, application and file data".

That one caused an uproar and convinced Steam fanboys to completely turn away from Battlefield 3 and EA.

Those items included the right for EA to access other EA products without notifying the user, plus the right for EA and unnamed "partners" to "gather, use, store and transmit technical and related information" on "IP addresses, usage data, software, equipment, software usage and existing hardware peripherals" according to the terms of use and for "marketing purposes".
    Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...efield-3-users
    Last edited by Rawns; 11th February 2013 at 03:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostgame View Post
    PSN may be free but its absolutely horrible to use.
    Had no experience of Nintendo.
    Horses for courses.

Never had any problems with PSN - then again a very, very rarely play online. I suppose if I wanted online gaming then I'd buy a 360.
    Personally I don't like PC gaming, to much involved in setting up, screens to small, chairs not comfortable, controls are horrible.
    As for Nintendo, I prefer to watch the Cartoon Network

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Origin - what a pile of tat! Ridiculous piece of software!
    When I put my Mass Effect 3 DVDs in (there are two of them) all it did was install Origin and then try to download all 10Gb+ of game data through my connection. Not great when I'd put it in to install for half an hour before my brief window of opportunity to play games opened.

Ended up having to force Origin to close, copy the compressed files off the discs into the Origin temp folder, download a trial of WinRAR (7-Zip couldn't handle the sequential archive for some reason) and unpack it all, then re-open Origin, let it scan the folder and decide it had downloaded 99% of what it needed then grab the last few megabytes from the servers. Not had to faff around that much to install a PC game since the 90s!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    The latest rumour says the next Xbox will have a 500GB HDD and mandatory Kinect.

A point of confusion during the lifetime of the Xbox 360, and one of consternation for developers, was the way in which Microsoft split the install base of the machine, selling some consoles with a hard drive and others without. This meant games could not be programmed to specifically take advantage of a hard drive installation.

That divide is gone this time around, with all Durango retail consoles shipping with an HDD. That drive is 500GB in size, which should be enough for your media storage needs, but it'll mostly be used for games, which must now be installed immediately upon first insertion of the game disc.

What's more, this installation can take place automatically, while you're playing the game. Durango titles can be designed in "sections," so that you can pop your disc in, start playing and, in the background, the rest of the game will install. Installing games should bring performance improvements, we think, but doing so in the background should also get rid of pre-game install waits, one of the more annoying hold-ups of the current generation of consoles.

Durango game installations will also be mandatory, as games can't directly access data from the disc.
    I hope Microsoft allow gamers to use their own HDDs (or SSDs) like Sony does with the PS3, since Xbox 360 HDDs were outrageously expensive.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The latest rumour says the next Xbox will have a 500GB HDD and mandatory Kinect.

I hope Microsoft allow gamers to use their own HDDs (or SSDs) like Sony does with the PS3, since Xbox 360 HDDs were outrageously expensive.
    This comes from someone who tried to sell a Durango dev kit on Ebay and was shut down by Microsoft personally. This isn't a rumor, it's a leak.

Microsoft WILL screw over gamers. They did it with the 360. They came up with memory cards to move save data to friends houses... Datel made a cheaper version with an expanded memory.

So Microsoft blocked the hardware.

[Censored] Microsoft.

[Censored] Sony.

All glory to PC. [Nintendo are still OK. If you have no Virtual Console games of Wii that you also want on WiiU.]
    Last edited by X-13; 12th February 2013 at 10:08 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    500GB? Seriously? Sure, that's plenty for games *right now*. I have my entire steam library of about 130 games in about 400GB. But an awful lot of them are small indie games etc... Any big ticket titles each take up 20GB. A game like DUST 514 could theoretically dwarf the install size of EvE Online when it moves to that platform.

I'd be really surprised if 500GB is the size they went for. I'd be looking at more like 2TB, with an SSD cache for things like the OS to go on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    500GB? Seriously? Sure, that's plenty for games *right now*. I have my entire steam library of about 130 games in about 400GB. But an awful lot of them are small indie games etc... Any big ticket titles each take up 20GB. A game like DUST 514 could theoretically dwarf the install size of EvE Online when it moves to that platform.

I'd be really surprised if 500GB is the size they went for. I'd be looking at more like 2TB, with an SSD cache for things like the OS to go on.

Bluray capacity is 25 GB (single-layer), 50 GB (dual-layer) or 100/128 GB (BDXL).

If it's true that the next Xbox uses bluray it's either 20, 10 or 5/3 games until you're maxed out.

Providing you can actually use ALL of the HDD space. Which I doubt. And providing the games use ALL the disk space, which for multiplatform games I can see happening. [PC can also use Bluray, so expect that too.]

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast