+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, New Xbox requires an always-on connection to block used games in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by CAM 4) Publishers distrust their consumers. Ubisoft made an outlandish claim that 90% of PC titles sold ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    4) Publishers distrust their consumers. Ubisoft made an outlandish claim that 90% of PC titles sold were "pirated" to justify increasingly intrusive DRM. They offer no respect to their consumers and the communities that grow up round their titles.
    Supreme Commander 2 was the end of my PC gaming, the SecureROM DRM crippled a top of the line C2D (at the time) worse than iTunes. That and it was that comped I couldn't trust it anymore. I then brought an Xbox to escape the insanity.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    @tmcd35 - problem is, controls or not, Microsoft and Sony are legally required to allow for second hand sales of software. Oracle learned this last year.

Also, are you really thinking that prices will come down with this change? If they do, I'll be *very* surprised.
    They may be required but I have a nasty feeling they will make sure that they get a cut of profit from second hand games (e.g passes to play the game online) You already have this with EA. You want to play multiplayer on you second hand Mass Effect3? You going to have to buy a pass before you can do that

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the online pass is reasonable though, it is tied to an account, so the person could buy the game, play it, pass it on, and if he wanted it back, could carry on as before. Make the passes £5 rather than £10 and everyone should be happy.

Thank Post
    Its going to be a bit much if Microsoft/Sony say you have to pay a subscription fee for multi-player in general and then put full content or game activation passes on top of that for second-hand games, especially if the publisher also requires you to buy a pass.

Thats the bit im not looking forward to.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostgame View Post
    Its going to be a bit much if Microsoft/Sony say you have to pay a subscription fee for multi-player in general and then put full content or game activation passes on top of that for second-hand games, especially if the publisher also requires you to buy a pass.

Thats the bit im not looking forward to.

& thatis what happens. Look at Live. It was meant to be the one stop subscription and sign up to get everything you needed. Then companies started wanting to see what their users were doing so created their own subscription services (Uplay & the like) and then you have to buy passes to get things. Once someone gets away with something everyone wants to pile on in to get a cut, company to company, level to level.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They need to be wary of the MMORPG trap. When MMO games were subscription dominated, players would only run one or two subs alongside each other. Either your product appealed to the player and fell in that pool of subs or the player cut it loose.

Imagine if you had to pay a sub for the network then each individual game or series of games? What if you have three games you want to play but each had a sub plus the network fee? Only really leaves room for 1-2 titles active at once. But for some reason, publishers want to charge subs on top of network fees to help get their cut, and charge DLC and charge full whack for titles.

DLC alone is a bugbear and something I used to support but have grown weary of. I've started asking why I was paying £50-60 for a partial game and another £50-60 of expansions and maps of often dubious quality. I've start to not purchase DLC now unless it really appeals or happens to fall in a very good sale simply because it has become so expensive. 50p for a hat or a skin? Sure! £8 for the same? Err no thanks, even worse when you pay a sub (Here's looking at you XBL...).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,116 Times in 1,452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its going to be a bit much if Microsoft/Sony say you have to pay a subscription fee for multi-player in general
    You mean like Microsoft are doing now?

Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    created their own subscription services (Uplay & the like)
    Oi. Uplay is decent.

I get a few cool freebies for games I'm already playing, by playing the games.

Also, it's free and not necessary.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Oi. Uplay is decent.
    I get a few cool freebies for games I'm already playing, by playing the games.
    Also, it's free and not necessary.
    I've not used it enough to know but I though Live was meant to mean the end to signing up endlessly to different services, to be a one shop for everything. Why do I need to resign in to a service when I clearly have an easily identifiable identity there on the console!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,976 Posts
    Blog Entries
    UPlay is necessary - it is part of the DRM for all new Ubisoft games afaik. ie. You can't play Ubisoft games without it.

Thank Post
    You mean like Microsoft are doing now?
    I have no issue with paying for xbox live. It helps fund a good secure system and pays for future add-ons.

What I don't want is to pay for that, pay them to activate my second hand game and then pay the publisher to activate multiplayer.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I though Live was meant to mean the end to signing up endlessly to different services, to be a one shop for everything.
    Live was meant to be another way for Microsoft to make money. [The PC version of an Xbox game doesn't require a XBL subscription to get online]

Why do I need to resign in to a service when I clearly have an easily identifiable identity there on the console!
    You don't. You set it up and it logs in automatically based on your gamertag.

UPlay is necessary - it is part of the DRM for all new Ubisoft games afaik. ie. You can't play Ubisoft games without it.
    Huh... I didn't know this.

I've had a Uplay account since it was released and never noticed it... Then again, I play offline a lot of the time, which means it CAN'T pick up my Uplay details and I've never been blocked.

I have no issue with paying for xbox live. It helps fund a good secure system and pays for future add-ons.
    I do. XBL isn't much better than PSN anymore. Even down to security.

Live accounts are hacked all the time, once that's gone, you're whole account is. [There's also stories of Microsoft ignoring blatant fraud. Like the account suddenly being used to buy lots of things in China.]

Charging for XBL may have made sense back when it launched, but now there's no reason.

Sony, Nintendo and every PC manufacturer don't charge you to get online.

What makes it worse is that it's a P2P connection and you aren't using any mocrosoft servers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Huh... I didn't know this.

I've had a Uplay account since it was released and never noticed it... Then again, I play offline a lot of the time, which means it CAN'T pick up my Uplay details and I've never been blocked.
    Try something like Anno 2070 - some game functionality is lost when UPlay loses connection.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Try something like Anno 2070 - some game functionality is lost when UPlay loses connection.
    Wait... PC or console? I know the PC version of Uplay got outed as a rootkit.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Wait... PC or console? I know the PC version of Uplay got outed as a rootkit.
    PC. Only insane people use consoles.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Only insane people use consoles.
    Guess I'm insane then...

This is probably why we have different views on Uplay. The console version is decent enough.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast