+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, New Xbox requires an always-on connection to block used games in Fun Stuff; This has been long time coming from Microsoft, they profits have been greatly hit by custom firmware and pirate games, ...

Thank Post
    This has been long time coming from Microsoft, they profits have been greatly hit by custom firmware and pirate games, they have even stopped fighting the pirates about a year ago. It was evident then that they will switch to a completely downloadable content format.

I am very sad about the second hand game market. Hopefully they will still support it by allowing transfer of ownership (i doubt it though).

Thank Post
    Of course it could just be the start of the Fud Wars, or dis-information propaganda, in the run up to console launches. Remember last time there were articles about XBox games going to be almost double the price, endless arguments about backward compatibility and various discussions about how much more/less powerful the Cell would be.

It would be a crazy move so I wonder if actually they will take a two tier system. Have a steam like interface to allow cheaper, download games with no sell on ability and boxed games for those that want to continue. That way everyone is happy and they can play around with price points, discount sales and strategies without the prospect of alienating their customer bases. Then either mid-life they'll drop physical media or people will get so used to digital downloads that come next gen it will be feasible.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Of course it could just be the start of the Fud Wars, or dis-information propaganda, in the run up to console launches. Remember last time there were articles about XBox games going to be almost double the price, endless arguments about backward compatibility and various discussions about how much more/less powerful the Cell would be.

It would be a crazy move so I wonder if actually they will take a two tier system. Have a steam like interface to allow cheaper, download games with no sell on ability and boxed games for those that want to continue. That way everyone is happy and they can play around with price points, discount sales and strategies without the prospect of alienating their customer bases. Then either mid-life they'll drop physical media or people will get so used to digital downloads that come next gen it will be feasible.
    hmmm not sure about that, MS have changed their directions along with their leaders in the last few years and have become more bold in their decisions.

I think they will actually take a leap of faith this time and try to be the first mainstream provider to do this "all out". They will not lose their core audience i.e kids with MasterCards. I have been a loyal xbox fan since day-one however the product started to lack in feeding my gaming desires and I have now almost entirely moved my gaming back to the PC.

at the moment my xbox is only to watch LoveFilm and have the occasional Fifa match or Kinect game when someone comes around

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    they profits have been greatly hit by custom firmware and pirate games
    Try again.

File-sharers are content industry’s “largest customers” | Ars Technica

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is not a MS only thing though, Sony are rumored to be planning something similar for their next outing. Thinking about it, I don't blame them. Games companies only make money on the first sale of the game. If it lead to cheaper games from now and more money going into games development then I'm all for it. If it's about flogging games at the same £60 asking price and lining shareholders pockets then I'm on the ol' piracy bandwaggon all the way!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    How about no?

I want my damn controllers.
    That is not really a problem as you can get controllers for the tablet. Just output the tablet/phone in HD to a TV and use a controller. See something like http://analogaddiction.files.wordpre...blet.jpg?w=640

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    That is not really a problem as you can get controllers for the tablet. Just output the tablet/phone in HD to a TV and use a controller. See something like http://analogaddiction.files.wordpre...blet.jpg?w=640
    At which point why not just use a device designed for it, why the drive for everything to be one device, universal hammers are always horrible.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    There is no doubt that tablets have made casual gaming a huge industry and yes, I agree, there are some cracking games on tablets/smartphones now. But let's not kid ourselves, you're not going to convince a "real" gamer to give up their console/PC and stick to whatever offering is on iOS/Android any time soon.

Thank Post
    But if they were truly going to make a leap of faith on this why not be totally innovative and rip out the optical drive and go digital only? They'd save costs, have an extra peripheral to sell at a mark up, be able to have a slimmer box and crow to have one up on Sony. Seems a bit of a half arsed attempt so if they are being cautious then the softly, softly two tier approach seems more likely or what was posted from OXM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As others have said, the problem with download only is not everyone as access to suitable broadband. I've gone download only on my PS3, but I live in a Virgin Media area so so long as I avoid peek times I get very fast downloads. 5 miles down the road and you're lucky if you get 2Mbps from any provider...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    There is no doubt that tablets have made casual gaming a huge industry and yes, I agree, there are some cracking games on tablets/smartphones now. But let's not kid ourselves, you're not going to convince a "real" gamer to give up their console/PC and stick to whatever offering is on iOS/Android any time soon.
    It has already happened with many "real" gamers converting. See Multiplayer ShadowGun on an ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime - YouTube You have console graphics, console gameplay, console controller. So why by a console?

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    At which point why not just use a device designed for it, why the drive for everything to be one device, universal hammers are always horrible.
    It is more why get an extra device (console) when your phone or tablet has enough power to do the job just as well?

The upcoming 2013 gen of chips will be more powerful then todays consoles. Tablet/phone today are designed to output for games just as much as consoles so why buy a 2nd device (console) to do a job you already have in your pocket.

We are slowly getting to the stage where you not need a PC or console. Just carry around a smartphone that fits into a docking station or wirelessly transmits to a keyboard, mouse and HD screen. This is how I see the future over the years to come. It will be a very slow change but it should happen over time. I already see lots of people watching TV via tablets/phones with on demand style services and playing games to the HD TV.
    Last edited by Pottsey; 7th February 2013 at 11:59 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    It has already happened with many "real" gamers converting. See Multiplayer ShadowGun on an ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime - YouTube You have console graphics, console gameplay, console controller. So why by a console?
    Bit out of context, we're talking about completely abandoning consoles and PC's in favour of playing games on a tablet, not playing games on a tablet in addition to the latter. I don't believe for one second that the hardcore gaming community is about to give up on consoles/PC for tablets; not one second.

It is more why get an extra device (console) when your phone or tablet has enough power to do the job just as well?

The upcoming 2013 gen of chips will be more powerful then todays consoles. Tablet/phone today are designed to output for games just as much as consoles so why buy a 2nd device (console) to do a job you already have in your pocket.

We are slowly getting to the stage where you not need a PC or console. Just carry around a smartphone that fits into a docking station or wirelessly transmits to a keyboard, mouse and HD screen. This is how I see the future over the years to come. It will be a very slow change but it should happen over time. I already see lots of people watching TV via tablets/phones with on demand style services and playing games to the HD TV.
    Yes portability is great and for casual gamers I'm sure that will suffice. But if I'm heavy in to a game of Skyrim, I don't want it interrupted by an 42" image of my Gran and a deafening ring over my surround system as she calls me to discuss the cost of tea bags TYVM. [no offence Gran]

Thank Post
    id hate to play something like forza/pgr/gran turismo on a tablet every racing game ive tried is dire its so wrong turning/tilting the device its worse than driving with a dance mat (which is at least fun)

Thank Post
    Bit out of context, we're talking about completely abandoning consoles and PC's in favour of playing games on a tablet, not playing games on a tablet in addition to the latter. I don't believe for one second that the hardcore gaming community is about to give up on consoles/PC for tablets; not one second.
    Not sure it is out of context and it will not be a sudden case of completely abandoning consoles, it will be a very slow change over of peoples habits. No one in my circles users consoles as the primary gaming platform anymore. Many have already abandoned them or use them as secondary gaming devices for the odd exclusive game. Granted the sample size is far too small but I can see more people going down this path. Handholds have already gone futher down then road. We have gone from a school inhabited by a PSP’s and DS’s to smartphones. As more of those children grow up and use those devices connected to TV’s will they even want or need a console?

You say you cannot see the hardcore gaming community change but why? If the controller is the same, the games looks just as good or better than current gen, the setup is easy to use then why would they refuse to cross over? The world is moving to a big mash network with everything connected to everything and computers being devices you carry around with you. Too me the question is not when, but how long will this take.

Yes portability is great and for casual gamers I'm sure that will suffice. But if I'm heavy in to a game of Skyrim, I don't want it interrupted by an 42" image of my Gran and a deafening ring over my surround system as she calls me to discuss the cost of tea bags TYVM. [no offence Gran]
    That is no different from Skype on the PC or voice chat on a console and you can always switch to gaming mode or use a tablet over a smartphone.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Pottsey, while I see where you're coming from I think the market is already taking an alternative view. The Wii-U, whose central premise is a tablet controlled games console, isn't selling as well as Nintendo had hoped. Alternative gaming devices Playstation Move don't seem to get any traction. I'd be interested to know the uptake of Glass on the 360. Even the mighty iPod Touch that knocked Nintendo and Sony for six in the handheld market hasn't lead to a huge uptake in AppleTV's that would turn it in to the gaming system you describe.

It seems the majority of console gamers, like me, want a traditional games focused box hitched to their 55" OLED's and 7.1 DTS surround systems controlled with the old old faithful Six-Axis (or 360 equivalent).

Besides, because of battery life, heat dissipation and product size, mobile gaming will alway lag behind what is currently possible in top end dedicated gaming products (be they PC or console). By the time mobiles catch up to Generation 8 (they are only now starting to kick at the heels of G7) we'd be reading about the immanent release of G9 consoles.

Which is why hardcore gamers are unlikely ever to embrace that model. Mobiles are good for casual games like Tetris. Don't want to play Batman or Gran Tourismo on one though!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast