+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Gaming Thread, New Xbox requires an always-on connection to block used games in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by tmcd35 Are Nintendo now where Sega was a decade ago with the Dreamcast? the thing was the ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Are Nintendo now where Sega was a decade ago with the Dreamcast?
    the thing was the dreamcast was a good console and imo had better games (granted far less) than the ps1

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    But one of the Wii-U's biggest problems is the tablet itself, it's expensive to produce. Releasing an iOS or Android app to act as another controller would be cheaper. Wii-U prices could be reduced and games can start using more then one tablet. Right now the tablets are such an expensive gimmick they can't even be bought seperately.
    I remember reading they could be bought for about £150 each... I'll double check after I've got my lunch.

LE EDIT: ok you can't buy them... you can only get a broken one replaced.
    Last edited by X-13; 15th February 2013 at 01:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    the thing was the dreamcast was a good console and imo had better games (granted far less) than the ps1
    Agreed, the Dreamcast is much overlooked and underrated console. Actually, it was of the same generation of the PS2 (it was the first 6th Gen released). Probably could have held it's own against the PS2 had support for it took. My understanding is the GameCube would have eaten it for breakfast anyway. The other question that comes from this is - would Microsoft have released the XBox had the Dreamcast not flopped?

I read something recently that said probably yes because Bill Gates was pushing for it and they realised Sega weren't really up to the job - as history shows, but 20/20 hind site is a fabulous thing

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Are Nintendo now where Sega was a decade ago with the Dreamcast?
    Not yet - Nintendo have an enormous war chest of cash off the back of the Wii. Sega, at the time of the Dreamcast, had just lost enormous sums of money on the Saturn. It may be that Nintendo are where Sega were with the Saturn - an underpowered machine designed to the spec of an older generation, with a few brilliant first-party titles and a dearth of third-party support. If the next Wii comes out in three-four years then that will be their Dreamcast

But one of the Wii-U's biggest problems is the tablet itself, it's expensive to produce. Releasing an iOS or Android app to act as another controller would be cheaper. Wii-U prices could be reduced and games can start using more then one tablet. Right now the tablets are such an expensive gimmick they can't even be bought seperately.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Wii U can only handle one tablet at a time anyway can't it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    They could also release an iOS or Android app that does the same job as their Wii-U tablet, but they won't do that because they are too stubborn.
    The xbox 360 already has this with SmartGlass for the major phone brands and select titles. Unfortunately it is a per dev proposition and even with Halo 4 the specific title is only supported on iPhones and Windows 8 Phones, stupidly given it is a flagship title on the MS platform they decided not to support it on Windows Phone 7 which is shocking.

Thank Post
    I owned a dreamcast, was probably the best console that I owned, in terms of enjoyment out of it and being able to play straight out of Arcade games, I had about 18 months of it before, Sega pulled out of the console market and I offloaded mine about evens for what I spent on it, I cannot help that Sega failed because they essentially tried to clone the Megadrive and update it a tiny bit with the Saturn, it was a lazy console for them, Dreamcast was much better.

Though it was probably same at the time as the Wii U seems to be, in that it had older specced hardware (the 33.6kbps modem being one of the glaringly obvious things in the cast as 56k had been the norm for years then) compared to other consoles that came out after it

My opinion of the Wii is that its too cartooney in games and aimed at younger gamers, from what I have seen of my Wife's one and sisters, more adult games dont seem to do well on the platform.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    My opinion of the Wii is that its too cartooney in games and aimed at younger gamers
    That doesn't make them bad games.

I wish people would stop all this and just give things a chance.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    I wish people would stop all this and just give things a chance.
    I guess a lot of people aren't willing to spend $£x-to-£y to 'give it a chance'. I know I'm certainly not.
    If a friend (of which I consider myself to have very few) said "I've just bought a WiiU, want to check it out?" I would, but someone has to take that first (potentially costly) step and it ain't going to be me.

I can't say that's how it is for everybody but I'd imagine it plays a significant factor. The Wii was revolutionary (Still should have stuck with 'Nintendo Revolution' rather than 'Wii', ah well.) and changed the face of casual gaming arguably for a long, long time. It was radical and new, and as an ex-wii owner, thoroughly enjoyable with friends. That was the Wii's main point for me. It was a social console. It had split-screen! Took me back to the days of 'dat nostalgia' where people could enter as friends and leave as enemies due to a few good rounds of Brawl. It's why I have an N64 in my house with the Mario Party games.

But the WiiU just doesn't 'work' in my mind. The tablet - I'd imagine - makes things awkward and complicated. It could be used effectively, and I believe eventually it will, but for now it seems it would just 'get in the way', so I have no incentive to purchase one. That, and my aforementioned lack of friends.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have to confess, the only reason I don't have a Wii-U is the lack of an official VGA output cable. If it wasn't for my telly going kaput and routing sound and video through my soundcard and monitor I would have bought one by now. I am glad I didn't though as it is losing ground fast and that would have been a massive £300 paperweight!

I prefer the 3DS over the Vita though. The Vita is a superior unit but the 3DS has better game support. Even though it's "cartoony" I am still working my way through Pokemon White and have Black 2 on my shelf for when I complete it. They also have Nintendo Zone giving free Wi-Fi in popular locations like train stations and Streetpass is a very well handled concept, especially compared to the awful Near that Sony use.

Also, AFAIK, the Wii-U can support up to two tablets but because they aren't sold seperately, developers aren't designing games to support more then one tablet.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    I guess a lot of people aren't willing to spend $£x-to-£y to 'give it a chance'. I know I'm certainly not.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm EXACTLY the same.

It's just all the "It's a kiddy console... the games are carp..." thing is getting really old now. And it's usually said by people who have NEVER given it a chance, and likely won't due to their own arguments.

I am still working my way through Pokemon White and have Black 2 on my shelf for when I complete it.
    Yo. I may need you to hook me up with Black exclusives.

I went White + White 2. Legends are hard to get through trades, people want shinies, events and/or perfect IVs for them.

Thank Post
    I went White + White 2. Legends are hard to get through trades, people want shinies, events and/or perfect IVs for them.
    Bah, sod all that IV training lark. Haven't picked up a Pokémon since HG/SS but tempted to try B/W / B2/W2. Realistically, to someone (that feels slightly hipster saying this) who has fond memories of the R/B/Y etc early-days, how do they compare? I've heard countless 'there's just too many pokermonz now and it ruins it' arguments but I'm still in two minds about grabbing a DS and giving it a bash.

.. but that's because I know from previous experience the DS 'works', unlike the WiiU :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Bah, sod all that IV training lark. Haven't picked up a Pokémon since HG/SS but tempted to try B/W / B2/W2. Realistically, to someone (that feels slightly hipster saying this) who has fond memories of the R/B/Y etc early-days, how do they compare? I've heard countless 'there's just too many pokermonz now and it ruins it' arguments but I'm still in two minds about grabbing a DS and giving it a bash.
    [G/S/C is best gen. Hoenn can GTFO.]

I like them. But, I've also been playing Pokemon almost constantly since the mid 90's.

I think the current count is about 648. And a new gen was announced recently. [Pokemon X/Y for 3DS]

Also, you're not a hipster. You're a genwunner.
    Last edited by X-13; 15th February 2013 at 03:13 PM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have a save on Platinum but lost track of what I was doing. It was overcomplicated that one with berries, etc. Not sure how to transfer my party either.

I haven't peeked at BW2 yet but the start seemed eerily similar to BW. Seemed like the same early dex, starters and starting out just beginning from a different town. Not sure though, didn't get far before deciding to finish BW first.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I haven't peeked at BW2 yet but the start seemed eerily similar to BW. Seemed like the same early dex, starters and starting out just beginning from a different town. Not sure though, didn't get far before deciding to finish BW first.
    It's different. It's set a few years after B/W.

Thank Post
    [G/S/C is best gen. Hoenn can GTFO.]
    -snip-
    Also, you're not a hipster. You're a genwunner.
    Yes, I did very much enjoy G/S/C which is why I picked up SS when it was released.
    Dafug is a genwunner?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast