+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Sony announcing PS4 20th Feb 13 in Fun Stuff; See the Future – PlayStation Blog What do you think? It has to be the PS4 surely?...
    Thank Post

Sony announcing PS4 20th Feb 13

See the Future – PlayStation Blog

What do you think? It has to be the PS4 surely?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From what I have heard, they're announcing a paid for service to use the PSN, and an update to give it a streamlined "metro" style feel...but thats sony fan boards.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also, console announcements tend to come at the E3 convention

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Grrr, can't access the link! I agree with @nephilim, the PS4 launch is likely to be at E3. I hope they're not planning anything that'll bugger up my PSN subscription, I'm liking it the way it is at the moment...

edit: The store was upgraded last month, and yeah it is a little metro like, and actually much better than before - I like it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    just judging by sony fan chatter...it looks to be a subscription similar to live, and sony staff are not denying this, though they have denied that new games will be released on PSPlus and they'll be a 3 month turnaround before released games are available to buy on there (EG game released on disk in Jan is available in April on PSPlus)

Thank Post
    @nephilim, nooooooooooo! They can't start charging us to use PSN! Why are they sinking down to Microsoft's level with Xbox Live!? :@

I hope that is nothing more than a rumor, and that nothing else comes of it.

Thank Post
    Some people seem to think it's the announcement for Gaikai - The live streaming service that sony purchased not long ago, and that this will be an addition to PS+ (Similar to OnLive)

I doubt very much that sony will start charging everyone for online gaming.
    Last edited by BassTech; 1st February 2013 at 09:26 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I reckon they'll be announcing a new rootkit

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    maybe it's an announcement that they've found a way to halve the time of PS3 updates - it'll now only take 1 hour

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Would make sense if they did charge...why do you say?

1) Parties. Currently you can only talk to friends who are in the same game as you. The additional bandwidth on Sony servers for party chat would be immense, therefore there would need to be a cost
    2) Service. A 100mb file on a 50mb connection on xbox takes a shade under 2 minutes, the same size file on PS3 on the same connection, at a similar time and day, takes half hour. They need to increase bandwidth to cope with demand for downloads
    3) Lag. Xbox rarely suffers from gaming or party chat lag. PS3 suffers frequently. This is using a wired connection on both machines.

Sony need to up their game before they release the next console, and either way, they risk losing a lot of customers.

*EDIT*

Having both consoles, I am not biased towards either, I am just stating facts based on my experience.
    Last edited by nephilim; 1st February 2013 at 09:31 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Gaikai would be a good/interesting announcement but I was somehow expecting that one with/after PS4 as I'm guessing it's main use will be to provide PS3 backwards compatibility?

I already pay for PS+ and am very happy with service (ok, free games) I get. If they add more to the service fine, but paying anything in addition to PS+ for access to the PSN would make me want to cancel my current subscription.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 1st February 2013 at 09:36 AM.

Thank Post
    I'll answer them:

1) Parties. Currently you can only talk to friends who are in the same game as you. The additional bandwidth on Sony servers for party chat would be immense, therefore there would need to be a cost

Sony already wanted to implement cross-game-chat into the PS3 as it was the most requested feature. The reason they didn't do this is because the PS3 simply does not have enough memory available to support cross-game-chat. Sony have themselves confirmed this - nothing to do with bandwidth.

2) Service. A 100mb file on a 50mb connection on xbox takes a shade under 2 minutes, the same size file on PS3 on the same connection, at a similar time and day, takes half hour. They need to increase bandwidth to cope with demand for downloads

I disagree with this, my PS3 has never taken half an hour to download 100mb, even on wireless on a sky broadband 8mb line...

3) Lag. Xbox rarely suffers from gaming or party chat lag. PS3 suffers frequently. This is using a wired connection on both machines.

This depends on the game, I very rarely experience lag online on PS3 I played FIFA 13 and BO2 for hours last night, in a party with my headset and not one bit of lag. Again this was at peak UK time (6-8ish), wireless on sky broadband.
    Last edited by BassTech; 1st February 2013 at 12:17 PM.

Thank Post
    UPDATE: WALL STREET JOURNAL CONFIRM VIDEO IS PS4 TEASER: WSJ: Yes, Sony Will Announce the PlayStation 4 on February 20th | Gizmodo UK

Thank Post
    1. The reason they didn't do this is because the PS3 simply does not have enough memory available to support cross-game-chat.

So Sony have made a console which we are "no where near maxing out the processor" but it can't handle opening msn due to lack of memory. Well done sony (though my bets are on your source is incorrect as I just can't see a messenger app using much memory)

2. disagree with this, my PS3 has never taken half an hour to download 100mb, even on wireless on a sky broadband 8mb line...

We took GT round a mates to play when it first came out. It took 3 hours to install, update the console and update the game. This is on a reliable 10mb virgin line. Yes 3 hours. That was the last time any of us entertained the idea of playing a PS.

3. This depends on the game, I very rarely experience lag online on PS3 I played FIFA 13 and BO2 for hours last night, in a party with my headset and not one bit of lag.

Don't know about BO2 but FIFA, as with every EA game, uses EAs/Origin servers so nothing to do with MS or Sony on the gaming front.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 1st February 2013 at 12:38 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee91 View Post
    UPDATE: WALL STREET JOURNAL CONFIRM VIDEO IS PS4 TEASER: WSJ: Yes, Sony Will Announce the PlayStation 4 on February 20th | Gizmodo UK
    Money, Pocket, Hole, Burn...

Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    We took GT round a mates to play when it first came out. It took 3 hours to install, update the console and update the game. This is on a reliable 10mb virgin line. Yes 3 hours. That was the last time any of us entertained the idea of playing a PS.
    As a PS3 owner I'd happily admit that the only thing that really, really, really annoys me about the console is it's patch mechanism. The fact that I can download a full game from the store and it'd need patching is unforgivable. The fact that Sony insist of full patches rather than delta updates (which I believe the 360 uses) just makes a bad situation almost intolerable. Thankfully I have a 50mb Virgin Media connection so, so long as I don't try using the internet for any reason at all during peek times, I haven't waited more than 20mins for anything.

Installing Batman Arkham City on my mums PS3 over Christmas on the other hand was an all day affair (she's got a 2mb if lucky connection).

I'm hoping Sony have something good up their sleeves this time. I want to see a PS+ style subscription service, Gaikai, and at least 4k Blu-Ray...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast