+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Sony announcing PS4 20th Feb 13 in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by tmcd35 Funny, I thought that was the most dubious of my claims - could the CDTV be ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Funny, I thought that was the most dubious of my claims - could the CDTV be considered a console? I suppose it was by PS3/360 multimedia standards.
    Debatable really, but it looks funny to have a list of backwards compatible consoles which consist of the Wii-u and a failed amiga console.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,946 Times in 1,346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Debatable really, but it looks funny to have a list of backwards compatible consoles which consist of the Wii-u and a failed amiga console.
    Also, every Nintendo handheld console has been compatible with the previous one. [GBA/SP was compatible all the way back.]

Nintendo know how to make a console.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Also, every Nintendo handheld console has been compatible with the previous one. [GBA/SP was compatible all the way back.]

Nintendo know how to make a console.
    The list did say wired consoles :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Can't think of any others off the top of me head...
    If you're including hardware add-ons, the SNES could play Game Boy games with the Super Boy add-on

Oh, and the Game Gear could play Mega Drive games, though to my knowledge this was never officially supported via any peripheral, some modders simply realised that Game Gear cartridges were just shrunken Mega Drive cartridges!
    Last edited by LosOjos; 7th February 2013 at 12:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    If you're including hardware add-ons, the SNES could play Game Boy games with the Super Boy add-on
    I thought we were on wired consoles only! If you're gonna be like that the GameGear could play Master System games with an add-on

Thank Post
    Sure, the improvement isn't as obvious as it was from 4-bit > 8-bit > 16-bit > 32-bit, but essentially it's always been about enabling better graphics and more memory to allow developers to produce bigger and "better" games (I still play my 8-bit consoles so better is definitely subjective)
    While I agree with your statement about what it's always been about, your example is incorrect. There were no 4-bit consoles or a 4-bit generation. The Atari 2600, Colecovision, Odyssey2, etc. were all 8-bit consoles. The 2600, for example, is driven by the 8-bit 6507 with an 8-bit system bus. And just to throw in another interesting example, the Intellivision is a 16-bit system, driven by the 16-bit GI CP 1600 microprocessor. Comparing by bitness was simply a marketing strategy started around the time of the Genesis/Megadrive to promote the inaccurate perception that it had something to do with the graphics power, which is when the rationale that "well if this is 16-bit and the NES is 8-bit then the older stuff must be 4-bit" reared it's head. From the Fairchild Channel F/Atari 2600 on through to the NES/SMS/7800 you simply have different waves of 8-bit systems, all differing by their graphics co-processor capabilities. That's where your "enabling better graphics/more memory" observation is spot on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Why the hell do we need ultra HD?
    4K-capable consoles solves the chicken & egg adoption problem for Ultra HD TVs...

“PlayStation 4K” and “Xbox Durango” will be key to Ultra HD adoption « Ars Technica

The more people that buy Ultra HDTVs, the cheaper they will become for the rest of us. I also want a cheap 4K monitor for my computer and am not prepared to wait five years (or more) for them to come down in price.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A wild PS4 controller appeared!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A wild PS4 controller appeared!
    Saw this last night and hope it is not far off the final product! Looks nigh on identical to the current six-axis. The touchpad isn't obtrusive and the addition of the Move light in the control I think is better than a separate Move controller.

The PS4 is still the next gen console I'm hoping is going to impress me, I see more potential out of Sony right now than Microsoft. Mostly due to PS+ and Gaikai.

5 more days...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by martyg View Post
    While I agree with your statement about what it's always been about, your example is incorrect. There were no 4-bit consoles or a 4-bit generation. The Atari 2600, Colecovision, Odyssey2, etc. were all 8-bit consoles. The 2600, for example, is driven by the 8-bit 6507 with an 8-bit system bus. And just to throw in another interesting example, the Intellivision is a 16-bit system, driven by the 16-bit GI CP 1600 microprocessor. Comparing by bitness was simply a marketing strategy started around the time of the Genesis/Megadrive to promote the inaccurate perception that it had something to do with the graphics power, which is when the rationale that "well if this is 16-bit and the NES is 8-bit then the older stuff must be 4-bit" reared it's head. From the Fairchild Channel F/Atari 2600 on through to the NES/SMS/7800 you simply have different waves of 8-bit systems, all differing by their graphics co-processor capabilities. That's where your "enabling better graphics/more memory" observation is spot on.
    Thanks for the info

I was aware that the bit depth thing was more to do with marketing than actual console power (despite my 4-bit faux pas ) but I find the easiest way to refer to console generations is in terms of bits. Well, it was until we levelled out at 32-bit for a couple decades!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Saw this last night and hope it is not far off the final product! Looks nigh on identical to the current six-axis. The touchpad isn't obtrusive and the addition of the Move light in the control I think is better than a separate Move controller.

The PS4 is still the next gen console I'm hoping is going to impress me, I see more potential out of Sony right now than Microsoft. Mostly due to PS+ and Gaikai.

5 more days...
    Sony have never really changed the controller too much.

With all the rumours of Sony blocking used games on a hardware level [RFID chips in the games... or something] I'm not too impressed with them either.

We'll just have to see what they say, if anything.

TBH, I'm starting to think they deliberatly leaked all the controversial things to A) get people used to it, B) see how they would react IF they did it or C) troll everyone.

Thank Post
    TBH, I'm starting to think they deliberatly leaked all the controversial things to A) get people used to it, B) see how they would react IF they did it or C) troll everyone.
    or d) prompt Microsoft in to announcing their intentions for Durango and gauge their own policy from there...

Really, both Sony and Microsoft have to go down the no second hand market route, or neither of them. If one does it and the other doesn't, it'll kill the console that does it.
    Last edited by LosOjos; 15th February 2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Django on the mind, obviously!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Really, both Sony and Microsoft have to go down the no second hand market route, or neither of them. If one does it and the other doesn't, it'll kill the console that does it.
    I think the same was said about charging for online play.

Look how that turned out... leigons of children assuming XBL is better because you have to pay for it.

For every one person who rufuses to support it, they will be 100 fanboys that do.

Thank Post
    I think the same was said about charging for online play.

Look how that turned out... leigons of children assuming XBL is better because you have to pay for it.

For every one person who rufuses to support it, they will be 100 fanboys that do.
    It's clear which side of that fence you sit on!

I own a PS3 and a 360 and XBL is without a doubt the better service for me. I couldn't care less what arguments people make for PSN, my personal experience tells me XBL is the better service. There's no fanboyism for me, I've owned almost every console from the main players since the NES (still have a lot of them). The PS3 is almost exclusively a Bluray player now though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info

I was aware that the bit depth thing was more to do with marketing than actual console power (despite my 4-bit faux pas ) but I find the easiest way to refer to console generations is in terms of bits. Well, it was until we levelled out at 32-bit for a couple decades!
    If you read the Wikipedia articles on console generations they are pretty interesting and informative. Although I tend to disagree with generation count the mass media uses. Personally I don't really see the pre-Fairchild machines as being games consoles, that and I'd say the defining attribute of a console generation is graphical ability. On that basis you get something like...

G1 - Fairchild Ch.F, Atari 2600
    G2 - Intellivision, Atari 5200, Colecovision
    G3 - NES, MS, Atari 7800
    G4 - MD, SNES, PC-Engine
    G5 - PS1, N64, Saturn
    G6 - PS2, GameCube, Xbox
    G7 - Wii-U, PS3, 360
    G8 - ...

Like most things, it's all debatable and viewed with the rose tinted specs of history. I like most of these machines regardless of what you call (the ColecoVision was a cracker for the time!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast