+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Sony announcing PS4 20th Feb 13 in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by tmcd35 I'm hoping Sony have something good up their sleeves this time. I want to see a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I'm hoping Sony have something good up their sleeves this time. I want to see a PS+ style subscription service, Gaikai, and at least 4k Blu-Ray...
    Would like to see some specs obviously when they become available to see what they include or what you get with the PS 4.

1. I only have a 1080p HD TV, not an ultra HD TV ( so if 4k Blu-Ray is on the cards then this is no use to me )
    2. Im in the middle of playing some games on PS 3, don't have or own an xbox so can't comment on the xbox side

Thank Post
    1. So Sony have made a console which we are "no where near maxing out the processor" but it can't handle opening msn due to lack of memory. Well done sony (though my bets are on your source is incorrect as I just can't see a messenger app using much memory)

MSN??? and basically, yes they have. PS3 has 512MB, split between CPU and GPU, many devs have said over the Years the low memory is a big issue with the PS3, so each MB is precious to devs.

2. We took GT round a mates to play when it first came out. It took 3 hours to install, update the console and update the game. This is on a reliable 10mb virgin line. Yes 3 hours. That was the last time any of us entertained the idea of playing a PS.

Different. I was talking about 100mb file. The install takes a long time, but that's nothing to do with internet speeds. All the updates together are massively big, I expect if GT5 was on the Xbox 360 the speeds would be the same.

3. This depends on the game, I very rarely experience lag online on PS3 I played FIFA 13 and BO2 for hours last night, in a party with my headset and not one bit of lag.

Don't know about BO2 but FIFA, as with every EA game, uses EAs/Origin servers so nothing to do with MS or Sony on the gaming front.

True, also exclusive PS3 games run great online... Warhawk springs to mind...

Thank Post
    I've had 2 PS3's since they came out, my original 60GB model overheated and melted the solder off the motherboard after me using it constantly. My current slim model one has never overheated and has only ever crashed when playing Skyrim…

So I am happy with the PS3. What is the PS4 going to do that the PS3 cannot?
    If it is not backwards compatible with PS3 games I don't see me upgrading.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arwen View Post
    Play PS4 games.

We're sort-of at the point with new consoles where they're releasing new ones, simply to release new ones.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    We're sort-of at the point with new consoles where they're releasing new ones, simply to release new ones.
    I don't know if it's any different to any other point in the past 20 years - each new iteration brings on new advances in the technology, meaning better graphics and "bigger" (at least theoretically) games. Sure, the improvement isn't as obvious as it was from 4-bit > 8-bit > 16-bit > 32-bit, but essentially it's always been about enabling better graphics and more memory to allow developers to produce bigger and "better" games (I still play my 8-bit consoles so better is definitely subjective)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I don't know if it's any different to any other point in the past 20 years - each new iteration brings on new advances in the technology, meaning better graphics and "bigger" (at least theoretically) games. Sure, the improvement isn't as obvious as it was from 4-bit > 8-bit > 16-bit > 32-bit, but essentially it's always been about enabling better graphics and more memory to allow developers to produce bigger and "better" games (I still play my 8-bit consoles so better is definitely subjective)
    True, but HD is good. They're already talking about how true to life it looks. [Or more, the consoles can render true-to-life graphics already]

Why the hell do we need ultra HD? [Apart from the the fact Sony sell ultra HD TVs?]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    True, but HD is good. They're already talking about how true to life it looks. [Or more, the consoles can render true-to-life graphics already]

Why the hell do we need ultra HD? [Apart from the the fact Sony sell ultra HD TVs?]
    Some 5" phone are now 1080p HD and look great, yet my 50" TV maxes out at the same res? TV and monitor technology is so far behind the best screen technology its laughable. Films have been recorded in 4k for a while and wont be very easy to stream. FPS also makes a big difference so I'm expecting 120fps to be a standard. Check out Smooth Video Project (for MPC) to see what 24fps to 60fps+ can do!

Anyway the games wont be 4k and 120fps, like current gen can rarely do 1080p, they all upscale from lower internally rendered resolutions. The graphics wont look that much better if they truly step to 4k due to the pixel fill ratio. Viewing your camera pics (higher than hd), 4k youtube videos will be well worth it... along with 4k 2d games!

Still got my launch day Japanese PS3, still working and actually worked out cheaper than the UK one even taking into account shipping. Slim no problems either.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 7th February 2013 at 10:30 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arwen View Post
    I'm expecting 1080p @ 60fps with optional 4k upscaling compared to 720p @ 60fps and 1080p upscaling.

If it is not backwards compatible with PS3 games I don't see me upgrading.
    You won't be upgrading. The one thing I think can be pretty much guaranteed is backwards compatibility won't happen. There's only one way I could possibly happen and thats including PS3 hardware in the PS4. The only the first edition US/JP PS3's included the PS2 emotion chip for full backwards compatibility. We can be very certain that doing it in software is completely impossible. Only hope for PS3 on PS4 is Gaikai... which you'll have to pay for.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 7th February 2013 at 12:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Q) How many other wired consoles (1990+) have allowed FULL backwards compatibility or purchased games?

A) 3

PS2->PS1.
    PS3->PS1.
    WiiU->Wii.

Wii->GC removed in latter models.
    360->xbx limited/discontinued.
    PS3->PS2 limited/removed

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Actually, I suspect a fairer answer is one that no one want to hear. The PS4 will have full backwards compatibility with all previous Playstations - you'll just have to re-purchase all your games again and download from the PSN store.

PS1 and PS2 can be easily done in software and I can't see why current PSN Store offering can't be transported across. As I said above, I expect Gaikai to be the means of providing PS3 compatibility for those willing to pay to play old games...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Q) How many other wired consoles (1990+) have allowed FULL backwards compatibility or purchased games?

A) 3

PS2->PS1.
    PS3->PS1.
    WiiU->Wii.

Wii->GC removed in latter models.
    360->xbx limited/discontinued.
    PS3->PS2 limited/removed
    Your actual answer is 2.

PS3 cannot play the following PS1 games (at all...and believe me, I've tried on more than just my own console)

MicroMachines
    Resident Evil 1 and 2
    Die Hard Trilogy
    Fifa 00
    NHL 00
    Crash Bandicoot
    Batman Forever
    Tekken 1 and 2
    A bugs life
    Armoured Core

There are others as well. Only PS2 and WII-U have full backwards compatibility.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Your actual answer is 2.

PS3 cannot play the following PS1 games (at all...and believe me, I've tried on more than just my own console)

MicroMachines
    Resident Evil 1 and 2
    Die Hard Trilogy
    Fifa 00
    NHL 00
    Crash Bandicoot
    Batman Forever
    Tekken 1 and 2
    A bugs life
    Armoured Core

There are others as well. Only PS2 and WII-U have full backwards compatibility.
    There's also a small list of PS1 games the PS2 cant play!
    List of PlayStation games incompatible with PlayStation 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So 1?
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 7th February 2013 at 11:48 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Your actual answer is 2.
    Not strickly true...

ColecoVision was 'backwards' compatible with the Atari 2600
    The Atari 7800 could also play 2600 games
    Intellivision could also with a hardware attachment

Amiga CD32 was backwards compatible with the CDTV
    The MegaDrive was technically fully backwards compatible with the Master System - only needed a converter for the cartridge slot
    For the Jap's I believe the Master System and the Mega Drive were both backwards compatible with the SG1000

Can't think of any others off the top of me head...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Not strickly true...

ColecoVision was 'backwards' compatible with the Atari 2600
    The Atari 7800 could also play 2600 games
    Intellivision could also with a hardware attachment

Amiga CD32 was backwards compatible with the CDTV
    The MegaDrive was technically fully backwards compatible with the Master System - only needed a converter for the cartridge slot
    For the Jap's I believe the Master System and the Mega Drive were both backwards compatible with the SG1000

Can't think of any others off the top of me head...
    1990+
    add-ons are cheating!
    Jap master system/ mega drive = Japanese ps3 backwards compatibility level.

I'll give you CD32!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    I'll give you CD32!
    Funny, I thought that was the most dubious of my claims - could the CDTV be considered a console? I suppose it was by PS3/360 multimedia standards.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast