+ Post New Thread
Gaming Thread, www.steamgifts.com in Fun Stuff; Win Steam Gifts or Create a Giveaway for Your Gaming Community Has anyone signed up to the above site or ...

Thank Post

www.steamgifts.com

Win Steam Gifts or Create a Giveaway for Your Gaming Community

Has anyone signed up to the above site or used it in the past? Looks interesting and you can enter draws to win games on Steam. However it seems you have to log in via Steam so can't really tell how legit it is?

Thank Post
    First guess would be 'illegit', but it depends on how the 'Login through steam' is and what kind of games are available.
    From my experience, most 'Login via steam' will take you AWAY from the website and to Steam's official site. You authenticate against Steam and then Steam issues a 'This person is [account]' to the website, so the website itself doesn't actually ever possess (or even handle) your steam details. That's how I understand it to work, anyway. I may be wrong.

Let's face it, tf2r exists and people have raffled games off there, too, so there is some scope for it.

Can each raffle be traced to an individual that has a copy of said spare game in their steam inventory?
    Does the 'Login via steam' take you to Steam's actual website, then send you back to the site once you're done?

If both the answers there is 'Yes', I'm inclined to believe it's actually legitimate, but being at work right now, can't pass proper judgement. I'll check it out in ~1hr when I'm at home and report back in.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't touch that with a bargepole to be honest. The fact I cannot even see someone's profile link without logging in so I can check them on SteamRep is an alarm bell.

Thank Post
    The 'Sign in through Steam' link is legit enough, it definitely directs you to the right place.
    Agreed with CAM, though. There are a few alarm bells, not being able to see profiles unless you log in being an odd one. That's obviously been purposefully added, but why?

It may well be legit and you might win something. It might also be a legit front for a behind-the-scenes phishing business that gathers information on active accounts and passes it on. Your call, but I'm steering clear.

Thank Post
    Cheers for the feedback guys. I was swinging that way and you've confirmed it. I'll stay away from there methinks.

Thank Post
    If you do a little digging, i wouldn't touch with 20ft barge poll.

I looked up who registered the domain they have protected it with WhoisGuard but if you do a search of the address listed you get the following article about credit card fraud linked to

www.scamwarners.com • View topic - wefeminist.com , Uses stolen Credit Card Numbers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread