+ Post New Thread
Gaming Thread, Gamestation Pre-Orders - what happens now? in Fun Stuff; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 857 Posts

Gamestation Pre-Orders - what happens now?

Just wondering from those more in the loop than I (I don't get nearly enough time to play games any more! )

What happens to pre-orders placed with Gamestation now? Will Game honour them still?

I pre-ordered Black Ops 2 a few months back (it was one of those "I don't really want it but probably will when it gets closer"; I was right) and now that release day is approaching, I'm worried I won't get it. I only paid a £5 deposit but I'd rather not lose it!

My local Gamestation closed down, so can I just go in to the nearest Game and pick up my pre-order there? Can't see how that will work really, how can they reserve me a copy if they don't know I'm coming... help!

Thank Post
    Online orders have automatically transferred, not sure about local, but would assume not... Your best bet would be calling your nearest game and asking them?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom_ View Post
    Online orders have automatically transferred, not sure about local, but would assume not... Your best bet would be calling your nearest game and asking them?
    That would have been the common sense approach!

Thank Post
    If I was you, I'd check with the store but would guess they would honour it.

So is gamestation dead now? Site is still live but read somewhere that the site will be taken down and merged with Game or something..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    If I was you, I'd check with the store but would guess they would honour it.

So is gamestation dead now? Site is still live but read somewhere that the site will be taken down and merged with Game or something..
    Yeah pretty much, being merged with Game. They've actually been under the same umbrella for a couple of years now. The original director of Gamestation was sacked in favour of Game's director at the point of the original merger. A couple of years down the line, Game's director has gone and Gamestation's old director is back I've always preferred Gamestation, Game's employees seemed to be trained to lie to your face, so I'm hoping that under the management of the Gamestation director the merger will actually result in a more Gamestation like environment in the Game stores that do remain. The business model was always doomed to fail - the amount of places with 2 or more Game stores was ridiculous! In Wolverhampton, there were 2 Game stores and a Gamestation; it's not a very big town!

[PS - this is from memory of various articles I read so if I've got some of it wrong, please excuse me]

Thank Post
    I Left GAME about 2 years ago now and while i was there GAME and GAMESTATION were the same company, ran off the same trade in system etc. I remember giving people their pre-owned games even though they pre-ordered at gamestation so i would imagine they would pick it up. I would be careful if you have put a deposit down though as i remember people preordering games before GAME had there issues and then loosing there deposits (and Loyalty points) afterwards.

I don't agree with the comment of GAME workers being taught to lie to peoples faces though, not all of the stores were like that. It is like any retail store, you follow your managers ideologies. The manager i worked with was great and was so focused on advising the customer rather selling to them. Game and Gamestation are completely different stores, GAME is all advisory and consultant like, whereas gamestation is for propper gamers (they sell a lot of retro stuff).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by familiarrealms View Post
    I Left GAME about 2 years ago now and while i was there GAME and GAMESTATION were the same company, ran off the same trade in system etc. I remember giving people their pre-owned games even though they pre-ordered at gamestation so i would imagine they would pick it up. I would be careful if you have put a deposit down though as i remember people preordering games before GAME had there issues and then loosing there deposits (and Loyalty points) afterwards.
    Thanks for that, it's re-assuring.

Quote Originally Posted by familiarrealms View Post
    I don't agree with the comment of GAME workers being taught to lie to peoples faces though, not all of the stores were like that. It is like any retail store, you follow your managers ideologies. The manager i worked with was great and was so focused on advising the customer rather selling to them. Game and Gamestation are completely different stores, GAME is all advisory and consultant like, whereas gamestation is for propper gamers (they sell a lot of retro stuff).
    Yeah that's fair enough, I shouldn't tar all Game employees with the same brush. It's just that in my opinion from having visited various stores in the West Midlands, the employees I dealt with consistently told me anything to try to sell me the product (e.g. "Oh, that's not out yet, but this is better anyway" RE a game that I had just bought from Gamestation but wanted to check I'd gotten the best price on, or "no, you don't need the camera to use the Playstation Eyepets, just the remote" when they didn't have the cameras in stock, luckily I walked away and checked that out as it was a late xmas present and would have resulted in a very upset little girl on xmas morning!) . Quite cruelly, I made it a bit of a sport to see just how far they'd go at times! Based on those experiences, I could only assume that Game employees were trained to hard sell whereas Gamestation employees tended to know there stuff. As I said, I shouldn't have tarred all with the same brush, no offence meant!
    Last edited by LosOjos; 6th November 2012 at 02:13 PM.

Thank Post
    No problem! I thought the same of some of the other stores as well. One of the reasons i left was because the company had lost focus on what it was supposed to be doing, which is helping people find the right games for themselves, family, children or whatever. I hope that you scenario gets resolved.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread