+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Gaming Thread, No love for DOTA II? in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by CAM Steam dumped five of them in my inventory yesterday. The annoying things are taking up so ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Steam dumped five of them in my inventory yesterday. The annoying things are taking up so much space I might randomly spam my friends list with them. Grrrr!
    Tried that.. had a lot of them declined / sent back because they all had 10 invites each too!

Thank Post
    If anybody is interested, I'm actually organising a casual/amateur tournament for DOTA II

See Noobfactory EU Tournament - Home page for details. (We're working on a proper website with a decent SQL database to keep track of it all, est. a week until completion, but for now this site and a rubbish invisionfree forum will suffice)

Thank Post
    I got sent a key to this from a mate and saw this thread. No idea what DOTA2 is but I'm downloading it now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    DOTA...best way to put it is a cross between WoW and LoL made by Valve.

Thank Post
    Well... I tried 20 minutes last night and it appears to be total rubbish. It asked what my experience with DOTA was so selected none expecting some kind of walk through. No tutorials or single play practice mode. Ended up in playing a vrs bot game with people, but that resulted in rage from my team mates as I had no idea what I was meant to be doing.
    Last edited by Rawns; 10th January 2013 at 11:47 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Well... I tried 20 minutes last night and it appears to be total rubbish. It asked what my experience with DOTA was so selected none expecting some kind of walk through. No tutorials or single play practice mode. Ended up in playing a vrs bot game with people, but that resulted in rage from my team mates as I had no idea what I was meant to be doing.
    Yeh they all punish noobs really. The biggest issue is learning what the enemy characters do against you and their timings. They all have a very steep learning curve and teammates are always hostile tbh.
    LoL is the most casual of the lot but you need someone with voice and knowledge of the characters to keep you safe really.
    I have been training a guy in LoL for the last few months and while he is good he just doesnt know the characters yet so he pushes are the wrong time but he is getting there.
    They all should have a noob bot match where it tells you the moves the enemy is about to perform that way you learn about all the characters faster before playing with others.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Yeh they all punish noobs really. The biggest issue is learning what the enemy characters do against you and their timings. They all have a very steep learning curve and teammates are always hostile tbh.
    LoL is the most casual of the lot but you need someone with voice and knowledge of the characters to keep you safe really.
    I have been training a guy in LoL for the last few months and while he is good he just doesnt know the characters yet so he pushes are the wrong time but he is getting there.
    They all should have a noob bot match where it tells you the moves the enemy is about to perform that way you learn about all the characters faster before playing with others.
    Maybe I'll give it another shot and watch some clips on YouTube. There's bound to be a tutorial video or two out there!

PS: What do I win @ZeroHour?!

winner.JPG

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like a game to play with friends or your group then publics. Started downloading it last night so might give it a crack again if we can arrange something in the Edugeek group.

Thank Post
    Definitely something to be played with friends, I tend to stick to Bot fights when I play to learn heroes, then play with a few people from my friends list. We get slaughtered, but teamwork is definitely essential

I tend to watch Dota2Cinema's intro videos for each character on Youtube, they're about 2 minutes long and show you their skills being used. Gives you a starting point, combine that with dota2alttab.com for some basics of the items for each character.

Thank Post
    MOBA type games are really not worth playing unless you are doing it with friends as the communities are generally very very unfriendly to new players. Although compared to HoN (Heroes of Newarth) which i have played a lot more, the Dota community is quite pleasant.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
    Although compared to HoN (Heroes of Newarth) which i have played a lot more, the Dota community is quite pleasant.
    Wow. Really? Are you sure you're playing on the EU servers? Abusive Russians.. Abusive Russians everywhere...*
    Yeah, the community can be very elitist, especially with some players using smurfs to lower their MMR's and dominate low-tier games (I do plan to create a smurf when more of my friends get DOTA because I'm in a somewhat-higher MMR bracket with 48% wins, but I won't use it if I'm not with them, I just don't want them to get matched up with higher-tier players due to my MMR ofsetting the group average)
    I've met a few good players though. In fact, the databse coder for the tournament I'm starting is a guy I met on DOTA. So there are genuinely nice players. When I jump into bot matches to learn new heroes** I'm generally kind, courteous and supportive to new players unless they're utter douches, of which I just ignore them.

Very good game to play with friends though, yes

* Not racist disclaimer. I have a friend who speaks Russian who confirms their abuse.
    ** I'm trying to learn Enchantress, because I feel stomping pubs as a prancing deer is hilarious

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Maybe I'll give it another shot and watch some clips on YouTube. There's bound to be a tutorial video or two out there!

PS: What do I win @ZeroHour?!

winner.JPG
    I boosted your rep 100 and slapped you a rep button.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    I boosted your rep 100 and slapped you a rep button.
    Your a gent.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Anyone up for a game of this against bots this evening? Going to make an event on the group.

EDIT - Actually...can't make events in the group it seems.
    Last edited by CAM; 19th January 2013 at 09:54 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Anyone up for a game of this against bots this evening?(
    FYI: Bot AI is identical (AFAIK) between Easy and Medium bots.
    Whilst playing against Easy bots, the only difference I know of is your 'natural' gold (the gold you generate over time) increases quicker than it does in meadium+ or pvp games.
    Bots on easy will still pick the OP classes (especially now there's a Drow bot!) and stun-stack you into oblivion.

They're still beatable with a team that communicates - but if you're against bots you're likely new. And that often means no communication D:
    Stick with bots until you figure out the game - not the heroes. Once you have Last Hitting, laning, jungling and map-awareness, move on to Least Played mode where people aren't allowed to pick heroes they play often. Gives everyone a level playing feild (theoretically) so s'all good. I've had a lot of fun with it over the weekend and discovered a few heroes I wouldn't have thought I'd liked are actually quite fun.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12