+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Gaming Thread, Gaming Keyboard Advise in Fun Stuff; I'm looking at getting either the Cyborg V7.0 or the S.T.R.I.K.E 7 myself to match my R.A.T 5, heard good ...

Thank Post
    I'm looking at getting either the Cyborg V7.0 or the S.T.R.I.K.E 7 myself to match my R.A.T 5, heard good things about the V7, and it's only around 50 in the local PC World.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    If he plays MMOs, he wants something with programmable macro keys e.g. Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard (UK Layout): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories or http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-920...bs_computers_3

And correct me if I'm wrong, but as lovely as mechanical keyboards are for typing, I always thought they were considered inferior to membrane for gaming due to the higher travel resulting in slower reflexes?
    For quite a few MMOs it is against the TOC to use programmed keys for anything more than initiating a single action. So while you can rebind individual actions to them you can't have actual macros. Warcraft in particular is one that says this, whether their anti-cheating program will be able to tell is a different matter.

Mechanical keys have much less travel than keys on a membrane keyboard as the actuation point is a long way before they bottom out, they also pop back up much faster. On the other hand some mechanical keyboards are very unforgiving for typing, black and red ones are non tactile so you get no feedback when the key actuates, you do get used to it though. For MMO playing you are probably better going for Brown or Blue (as long as you can stand the noise) keys.

Mechanical keyboards are one of those things that pretty much everyone that buys one says they are so good they would never go back to membrane. Whether this is because they really are that good or because they were stupid enough to spend 100+ on a keyboard is harder to work out .

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 959 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
    Mechanical keys have much less travel than keys on a membrane keyboard as the actuation point is a long way before they bottom out, they also pop back up much faster. On the other hand some mechanical keyboards are very unforgiving for typing, black and red ones are non tactile so you get no feedback when the key actuates, you do get used to it though. For MMO playing you are probably better going for Brown or Blue (as long as you can stand the noise) keys.
    And now I know. Thanks!

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the advise guys. I went for the G510 in the end, mainly because I was fed of looking around, seems to have good review, don't know if he will like the clicky noise of mechanical and this one has more features then he will know what to do with. Oh and it was on offer at Curry so I bought it from them.

Did occur to me that macros won't be needed but having an option to switch out keys for ones nearer would be useful like numeric keys 6-0.

Now can i justify blowing 100 on a Black Widow Ultimate on myself

Thank Post
    The Black Widow keyboards use blue switches which they are almost alone in supplying as "gaming" keyboards. They are lovely for typing and RTS games but aren't so great for games where you want to use keys for movement like FPS or MMO games.

Good description of switch types and other things mechanically related here.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12